Author Topic: Saitek X45 Overhaul?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »
Anyone taken apart the notorious hat switches on their X45 to clean them?

Just wondering if they fail b/c the contacts are dirty, or totally worn out.  I can see 4 little screws under each hat, but wondering if I can just pop the hats off w/o breaking them.

Any help/advice welcomed (besides telling me to by a new stick :P)

Alternately, if anyone has an X45 they want to get rid of PM me.

Thanks

Offline jab116

• Copper Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
Kamilyun, you can't pop the hats out, you have to split the handle to get at them. Be very careful because it doesn't come apart easily & it's pretty delicate inside. Chances are your hats are worn out, not dirty, or it might be like mine, where the trigger sawed through the wires. If  it's still under warranty, send it back for reconditioning. Good luck:aok

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 01:27:51 PM »
Hi Kamilyun

I once did a X36 stick hat switchs repair job...

The switches more likely just fade out and loose that nice click feedback. The cleaning wont help too much if at all. You must replace old switchs with new fresh switches or swap the hat1 and hat2 switches...

You need one long afternoon, lost of patient some basic tools and hair-dryer...

Generally the hardest part is a hot-glue removing before you get enough slack for needed wires.  Use hair dryer to soften the hot-glue and reomove it carfully.

Take your time with it and don't lose those small screws.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »
I've got an X45 sitting here new in the box.  Somehow in a shuffle I ended up buying two instead of one.  I bought one because I thought I lost the documentation for my 2 yr replacement guarantee and then found the paperwork.  By that time it was past due for returns on the new one and I still had the old one so I made the swap.  If the replacement plans transfer I'll try to find the paperwork so you get all the goods at the same time.

Have paypal?

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Re: Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
Anyone taken apart the notorious hat switches on their X45 to clean them?

Just wondering if they fail b/c the contacts are dirty, or totally worn out.  I can see 4 little screws under each hat, but wondering if I can just pop the hats off w/o breaking them.

Any help/advice welcomed (besides telling me to by a new stick :P)

Alternately, if anyone has an X45 they want to get rid of PM me.

Thanks

http://www.newark.com/

Part # mjtp1230a

$0.15 each......8 required for both hats.

This is the part# for the Tact switches that sit under the hat. It is actually a series of 4 switches. Move L,R,U,D and you will feel each one. You can see the ones that are worn out by feel. However, since your there I would repalce them all at the same time. These switches are much better quality than the ones that Saitek originally put in. You will have to Remove two contacts and straighten the other two on the switches you order, its simple and if you have any mechanical/electronic skills you will understand how to do it.

I would not recommend even attempting this unless you have had some type of experience with soldering because you could seriously damage the stick. The hot glue must be removed, if you do please mark the placement of the wires under it before you remove it. Put it down on paper so that when one of the wires comes loose you will know where to put it back.

If you do attempt this and have any questions feel free to PM me or post back here.....Good luck and be safe.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline reacher15

• Copper Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:35:06 PM »
Ditto what RHIN0 said...he sent me the switches and two of the wires tore lose and it became a nightmare after that. Take        your          time! we found that the best way to remove the solder was to use a solder wick...real cheap at radio shack...it's really the same stuff that pick up shoes were made of on old slot cars.

good luck

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 02:27:49 AM »
Originally posted by Golfer
I've got an X45 sitting here new in the box.  Somehow in a shuffle I ended up buying two instead of one.  I bought one because I thought I lost the documentation for my 2 yr replacement guarantee and then found the paperwork.  By that time it was past due for returns on the new one and I still had the old one so I made the swap.  If the replacement plans transfer I'll try to find the paperwork so you get all the goods at the same time.

Have paypal?

I did have a PayPal account, but forgot all the crap on it...um...sending you a PM and an email if you have tha enabled.

I'll also order the switches kevykev mentioned.  That way, I'll have a new stick and a back up.  

Wifey will love it! :D

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 02:49:36 AM »
Where ya from?  I'll do some figgerin' on shippin'

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 03:25:29 AM »
If you will drop them an e-mail they will more than likely ship you the parts free.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Where ya from?  I'll do some figgerin' on shippin'

Zip Code = 94122 (SF)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »
if that falls through, 33511 will take it
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
I did have a PayPal account, but forgot all the crap on it...um...sending you a PM and an email if you have tha enabled.

I'll also order the switches kevykev mentioned.  That way, I'll have a new stick and a back up.  

Wifey will love it! :D

I cannot stress enough that someone without any skills at soldering or working with electronics could seriuously mess up the stick.

Im not saying you will screw it up or dont know what your doing...I just wanted to let you know that ahead of time that you could do damage and should think any decision to repair through.

I have been working in the electronics field for the last 16 years and have a bit of experience with these type of repairs.

BTW its been almost 2 years since I replaced the switches and no failures as of yet...
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 09:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
If you will drop them an e-mail they will more than likely ship you the parts free.

I tryed to get parts from Saitex once, they said they were shipping the parts, even asked for my address. I gave it to them and never saw any parts.

Just buy your sticks at Best Buy, buy the 2 yr replacement warranty, then when the stick quits in 6 months take it back and get it replaced with a new one. Dont forget to buy the replacement warranty again ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 06:06:08 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie
I tryed to get parts from Saitex once, they said they were shipping the parts, even asked for my address. I gave it to them and never saw any parts.

Just buy your sticks at Best Buy, buy the 2 yr replacement warranty, then when the stick quits in 6 months take it back and get it replaced with a new one. Dont forget to buy the replacement warranty again ;)

That is IF they still have the X45 - most places only have the X52 now, and want to make you pay the difference in cost if you replace it . . .

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Saitek X45 Overhaul?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 10:39:45 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie

Hmmmmm......that`s strange. I have never had anything but great experiences with the folks at Saitek. They have shipped me parts on two occasions without charge either for parts or shipping. Had them in 3 days.
On one occasion they shipped me a replacement stick and throttle and allowed me to ship the old stick after I received the new one so I could keep on keeping until the new one arrived.
Of course I have a pretty long list of Saitek`s products that I have purchased through the years on record with them.

Just buy your sticks at Best Buy, buy the 2 yr replacement warranty, then when the stick quits in 6 months take it back and get it replaced with a new one. Dont forget to buy the replacement warranty again

Yea right. I`m not going to pay anyone to rob me. Number one is , it is totaly unneeded and a rip off deluxe. The X-45 has a 2 year factory warranty and chances are you will get a replacement from the factory way before you can get one from Best Cry or any of the other "well known" rip off joints.
Number two reason is I usualy only pay for a product one time. I really don`t get into being gullible. :)
Number three reason is, I don`t know how the law is in your state, but in mine if you purchase a product such as a Saitek stick or any other product from stores such as Best Cry, etc. , they have to honor the factory warranty automaticaly. They are a dealer for this product. If you take one back, by law they have to replace it. No rip off "replacement warranty" needed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 10:47:23 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------