Author Topic: Remington 700!  (Read 1404 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« on: February 08, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »
Ok, I think I'm getting me a rifle and I like this general family.

Can any of you guys tell me about this one?  

Currently I'm looking just at shooting targets, but since I'm buying a rifle I might as well make it one that can be used for hunting if I decide to go that way at some point.

The 700 comes in all sorts of calibers and models, can you point me to anything more specific?

Or suggest other choices.

Please remember I live in Cali so nothing really fun is allowed.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 09:23:30 PM »
The 700 has a reputation for more than decent accuracy out of the box. They are good rifles, generally less expensive than a comparable Winchester 70. It really is kind of like the Ford vs Chevy arguements as both brands have their fans.

For caliber, it all depends on waht you are going to hunt. You don't want a .223 if you will be hunting deer or larger game. On the other side you don't need a 300 Win Magnum to hunt deer and small game either. Once you let us know what you are likely to go after, caliber gets easier to pick.

As a general rule a .308 or 30-06 will be easier to use for more than one type of game. The .308 and 30-06 can be loaded for everything from varmints up to bear. There are calibers that do specific jobs better but those two are very versatile if you will be limited to one rifle.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »
Remington Model 700 is considered to be one of the more accurate rifles right out of the box.  Trigger is better than a Ruger's.

Not too fond, myself,  of the overall stock configuration or finish.  On every one I have ever fired the safety let off with a very audible snap...louder than it should be for game at close range, although in the wide open spaces of the western states that is undoubtedly not much of a problem.

If you're gonna just tote, walk, and shoot at targets of opportunity...I'd get one of the light-weight mountain rifle version of the model 700.

Unless you like heavy recoil, I'd go for one of the lighter, high velocity calibers...243, 7mm-08, etc.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
Get the one with the heavy barrel.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:30:23 PM »
Heavy barrel is ok but not for hunting. Not only is it unnecessary weight but it's not needed for the 1 or 2 shots you will take at game.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »
If you want a Remington 700, in a caliber you can use for most game and target shooting, get a 700BDL, chambered in .308 Winchester, with a medium taper 24" barrel. The .308 is about 10% lower in power than the .30-06, and is usually somewhat more accurate. If you are interested in benchrest style target shooting, get a heavy barrel. I really prefer a 26" barrel, but you'll have a hard time finding one on the shelf. I'm a Winchester Model 70 man myself, and for me I prefer a 300 Winchester Magnum with a 26" barrel, but the Remington 700BDL should be fine for you in .308 Winchester.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »
I'm happy with my A-bolt...  Haven't had a chance to take it out into the field but on the range it's been real nice.  Only fit/finish gripe is that the synthetic stock is slightly warped and the forestock very lightly touches the barrel one one side at the end.  It doesn't seem to affect accuracy though...  My best 3-shot group so far is 1.5" at 200 yards, shooting off of concrete bench rest without any help other than a generic sling.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=008

Mine is in 7mm Rem Mag and I have the "BOSS" tunable anti-recoil dingus installed.  Really helps with recoil and I assume I got lucky with the barrel tuning due to the great results I got with minimal adjustment.  It adds a bit of blast back every shot, but it's not bad and even regular foamie earplugs minimize the effect.  The only "trick" is that although the recoil is less sharp, the impulse is over a longer period of time so if you don't hold the rifle in real tight, it gets a running start at your shoulder and bangs you up worse than it would have without the anti-recoil device.  But with a light shooting pad and a good firm grip, it's real easy to shoot.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

storch

Remington 700!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 11:16:22 PM »
I prefer the browning with the boss as well.  I'm also partial to the ruger. but there is absolutely nothing wrong the 700 or the model 70.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »
It shoots bullets.  I like it.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Remington 700!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »
I have used one of the 7mm versions, a very accurate gun and a very hard hitting round.  Not so cheap to shoot though, even reloading.  The .270 is a VERY nice round, easy on the recoil, common enough that its easy to find ammo for it.  Not as much power as some of the larger rounds though.  The .243 is just as nice to shoot, and just as accurate, but again it lacks the power of some of the other rounds.  The .300 is a real hard hitter, also accurate, but again not as common and more expensive to shoot.  I'd have to agree overall the .308 is probably the best all around choice, maximizing the power/accuracy balance.  More common than the .300 or the 7mm, not as common as the .270 or .243, easy to find reload supplies and cheap enough if you go that route.  The .30-.06 is probably the most common round, easiest to find ammo, cheapest and easiest to reload, just as powerful as the .308.  Downside (to me) is its a bit harsher on the felt recoil, and (IMO) not quite as accurate as the .308.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 01:23:44 AM »
if there wuz a god, and he liked remington 700's; then he'd have a .308
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 01:45:08 AM »
I've got a 700 in .300 Win Mag.  Love it.  The gun will shoot tighter groups than the operator is capable of.

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 04:23:48 AM »
I`m also partial to Ruger bolt 270 or BAR 270,both shoot sweet..had a remmy 30.06 and hated it..scared my mule!..plus ya always knew you had fired the darn thing the next day........
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:28:50 AM by bcee »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 10:09:31 AM »
Have you considered a gentlemen's rifle?

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
Remington 700!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »
Grunherz, did you plan on hunting or putting a scope on it? If not and you're just looking for a "shooter" for the range, also look into a military surplus rifle. You can get a Mosin, Mauser or Swiss K31 for under $130 from Big 5 Sporting Goods here in Cali. Surplus ammo is also cheap, except for the K31, and all can be fun accurate rifles.

My friend has a Remington 700 in .270 and really likes it.