Author Topic: Remington 700!  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 08:26:24 PM »
To put it simply;  excessive heat generated by overbore cartridges erodes the throat of a barrel faster than does the more moderate temperatures generated by more sensible cartridges.

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
To put it simply;  excessive heat generated by overbore cartridges erodes the throat of a barrel faster than does the more moderate temperatures generated by more sensible cartridges.

Yeppers that and CUP pressures.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
More powder wont nesesarily wear out a barrle faster. There's far more to it than just that. The Ruger No 1 that I am building right now in 45-120 will have a crap load more powder in it than you could ever sqeeze into an 06 case. But it also operates at far less pressures. I will never shoot that barrel out, and it will be shooting long after I am dead and gone.

More powder will a small caliber round like a 220 swift will deffinatly speed up the life cycle of a barrle however.

You sir, are a discerning gentlemen.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2006, 10:28:42 AM »
also... different powders have different burning rates.

lazs

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
Grun, I'm surprised that a conservative person such as yourself is chosing the liberal Remington 700 over the Ruger no. 1. I mean you even have a Thatcher quote as your sig. As a person reknown for never missing the mark with her understated and conservative choice of attire, there's no doubt what her choice would be.

You should give this decision more time. This is a decision that bears lifelong consequences. Don't be the fool with the bimbo trophy wife.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
More powder wont nesesarily wear out a barrle faster. There's far more to it than just that. The Ruger No 1 that I am building right now in 45-120 will have a crap load more powder in it than you could ever sqeeze into an 06 case. But it also operates at far less pressures. I will never shoot that barrel out, and it will be shooting long after I am dead and gone.

More powder will a small caliber round like a 220 swift will deffinatly speed up the life cycle of a barrle however.

45-120?!!! I have a Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 (which I'm taking to the range with the other AH guys this weekend). And I'm lusting after a Sharps 45-110. But a freaking 45-120? That should be somewhere north of 3000 FPE correct?

Got pics or more info on this project?

Random thought... You know they make pistols for 45-70, how 'bout one to shoot your 45-120 :lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 05:25:59 PM by g00b »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2006, 09:14:49 PM »
We had a trapdoor carbine at the shop for god knows how long. I put it in the back, then put it back out on the rack probably 2 dozen times. I wanted it bad... But at the time I was saving up for a sharps, not one in particular, just the first one I came across that was a good deal and wasnt hacked, so I let the carbine go. Then we got in a Cadet trapdoor and I wanted that even more.... but it was on consignment and the dude wanted way too much for it.

here's a couple pics from about a month ago of the no.1

http://www.furballunderground.com/misc/100_4255.JPG

http://www.furballunderground.com/misc/100_4258.JPG

I am a big fan of case coloring, so I had the action sent out to Turnbull Restoration who does all the high end restorations for colt and winchester. He case colors the old school way, and the pictures dont do justice to how sweet it came out.

The barrel is from Sharps, it was 36 inches, when i got it. I chambered it to 45-120 and cut it to 34''. 36 was just way, way too friggin long. The recoil is no worse than something like a 338. That's the best comparison I can make to its recoil. Barrel is off now and getting blued . A gunsmith I know has a bunch of nice old english walnut stock blanks. I am thinking of going with a straight stock. The tangs on the No1 are very close to a No3's which has a straight stock i should probably be able to make it work and look good. I did it all bellybutton backwards, you normally want to fit a stock before all the metal work is done (bluing, ect), but I'll tape it all up and just have to be careful of what I'm doing.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »
Just read that Winchester is considering dropping the Model 70 and the Model 94. They'll close the New Haven plant if they do. It'll be a very sad day for shooters present and future. It'll drive the prices on used guns WAY up. If you want one, now is the time to buy.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2006, 10:21:16 PM »
I wouldnt buy a new Model 70 now anyways savage. They're nothing like what they were 8-10 years ago. I wont even compare them to a pre64 because they're worlds apart. I have a huge love for the old school stuff, as you can probably tell. I think I got that way through watching my father. He knows what's good, growing up I got to learn alot from watching him and hanging out in gun stores since before I could walk.

Winchester is in deep doodoo. So is colt. Kimber really put a hurtin on them with their 1911's the last few years. We were selling Kimbers like they were  bags of potato chips at a 7/11 over the summer. Honestly I was amazed at how many I watched go out the door.  The new colts just sat there pretty much. The only thing keeping them alive is their M16's and other military contracts. Pretty sad to drive by their plant here in connecticut and see the employee parking lot near empty on a working day.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2006, 06:08:55 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Just read that Winchester is considering dropping the Model 70 and the Model 94. They'll close the New Haven plant if they do. It'll be a very sad day for shooters present and future. It'll drive the prices on used guns WAY up. If you want one, now is the time to buy.

I paid a visit to my local gunshop on Tuesday and walked out the door with a Winchester Defender... then the proprietor came yelling after me so I walked back and paid for it. It's about 15 years old with nice woodwork and in mint condition, not a mark on it. The original owner was a only a collector and he had never even fired it. It was sitting in a rack full of ratty old used .22 rifles in a corner of the shop while the more popular and less costly Mossy, Rem and Norinco pump guns had a rack to themselves in a prominent display area. I'm a Winchester fan so it was an easy decision for me, but the gun dealers here in NZ don't import many Winchesters anymore cause they just collect dust in the shop racks.. they are too exspensive. And it's already getting harder to find good used Winchester rifles/guns like my Defender at reasonable prices so I hate too think what it will do to the avalibility and prices in the future if the Model 70, 94 and 1300 are dropped.

Excel

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »
I wouldnt buy a new Model 70 now anyways savage. They're nothing like what they were 8-10 years ago. I wont even compare them to a pre64 because they're worlds apart. I have a huge love for the old school stuff, as you can probably tell. I think I got that way through watching my father. He knows what's good, growing up I got to learn alot from watching him and hanging out in gun stores since before I could walk.

Winchester is in deep doodoo. So is colt. Kimber really put a hurtin on them with their 1911's the last few years. We were selling Kimbers like they were  bags of potato chips at a 7/11 over the summer. Honestly I was amazed at how many I watched go out the door.  The new colts just sat there pretty much. The only thing keeping them alive is their M16's and other military contracts. Pretty sad to drive by their plant here in connecticut and see the employee parking lot near empty on a working day.

A close friend bought me a new Model 70 30-06 this fall because my model 670 300 is down with a porked barrel. Sadly, the new rifle is down as well. It is currently otw back to Winchester. Seems the firing pin is rusted, and the safety malfunctions. Sent it back where he bought it first, the independent service center brushed the rust out, put some oil on it and sent it back.

Still, I hope they don't discontinue the 70, the 94, and the 1300. Those are sort of icons, it would be bad to see them go. I guess I'll hit gunbroker and auctionarms and look for so extras to stock up on.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »

Didn't colt come out and say they were going to stop selling a bunch of guns to civilians after some shooting about 10 years ago? I remeber it at least and remeber thinking I will never buy another new colt product.

There 1911s, have been junk for years, even before kimber they were overpriced, and you could get a better 1911 from other sources.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Remington 700!
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
Yep Colt shot themselves in the foot with American shooters after they took their stance. They tried to be politically correct and forgot just who pays their paychecks. The fallout hurt them quite a bit. I still do not bother to look for a Colt product. There are others who make a far better product for less $ in this and other countries. I like the 1911 but Colt doesn't really do it justice. Kimber is a far better product.

It's been more than 2 decades since writers started pining for the old pre 64 model 70. Winchester didn't pay much attention and now they too are paying the price. They figured the name was enough to maintain a profit. It isn't. in the mid 80's when I was looking for a new rifle I would have rather had a Savage or  Ruger than a Winchester. In fact I ended up buying a Ruger for high power silhouette. The last 2 American rifles I bought have been a stainless Ruger Ranch rifle and a used Remington 600 in .308. Both from a gun show as the buys there were far better than the local stores. They were at the show as well but had ramped up their prices for the show. I did a price comparison at the store before the show, I wasn't happy with the change and never went back to them.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown