Author Topic: England VS. Texas (which is better thread)  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
England VS. Texas (which is better thread)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'd like an even better thread than this, in which people were allowed to post only if they'd been to both England and Texas.

Beetle, I've been twice 1982 and 1997. I'm still livin in Texas.  England is a nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.  First trip i was TDY to RAF Little Rissington near Burton-on-the-Water, believe it was in the Cotswolds. Nice small town.  We went from San Antonio to Fairford.  First thing I noticed was the countryside looked very similar to the countryside around Austin (back in 1975) when it was mostly farm and ranch land.  It was in September so it was pretty damp and cool but overall not to bad.  We helped inventory and setup a USAF Contingency Hospital there.   I took time out from my TDY to visit my brother that was stationed at Greenham Common and lived in Newberry.   My brother married a brit lass.  I thought their little kitchens with the small stoves and small cabinets was cute.   We stayed about 3 weeks or so.  We got to go into Burton a few times while we were there and saw some of the local sites like the model village (very cool, especially the model within the model) and spent some time at the pubs.  some of us had time to see Warwick Castle and Blenheim Palace.

Second visit 1996 was to see my brother again that was stationed in England (his second tour) at RAF Croughton.  I was stationed at Ramtein AB in Germany, ( 4 years) I drove, it took about 10 hours (including the ferry) to get from Ramstein to Croughton.   We spent a few days there and made trips to London and side trips to one of Shakespear's houses and Ann Hathaway.  

Anyway England was nice but Germany was better;)   Going to England is like visiting your grandmother's house and staying in the front parlor where everything is covered in plastic and your not allowed to touch anything.   Germany is like a party almost every weekend, them germans have a fest for everything, spring, winter, fall, and summer.  Time to slaughter the (insert your farm animal of choice) time for a fest.  "Hey look, the sun came out, lets have a fest!"   I got to go to Munich for oktoberfest 3 times while i was in germany and I miss them they were a lot of fun, but I still dont want to live in Germany.  However when I retire or at least when all the kids move out I would like to take a month off and go back once and awhile, but i'll still live in Texas cause there's no place better.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »
Originally posted by culero
Dentists
Guns
Iced Tea
Football
Mexican Food
Oktoberfest
Kinky Friedman running for Governor
Piņatas at kids' birthday parties
Boots N Spurs
Rodeos
Mesquite
etc

There's just no comparison :)

culero

You forgot a few things

;) ;) ;)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 11:09:13 AM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
Beetle, I've been twice 1982 and 1997. I'm still livin in Texas.  England is a nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.  
Airscrew, I've been twice 1978 and 2001. I'm still livin in England.  Texas is a nice place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there.

Would you believe it - I was in Bourton-on-the-Water last weekend! Yes, Germany is good - you forgot to mention the cars! :cool: I must get over to Germany to visit Nexx sometime soon. Anyway, you have been here, so I take your comments on board. Sounds like you've had some interesting trips. :aok Yes the small kitchen cabinets was one of the things I noticed when I moved back here. :lol

Mr. Toad!!
I'll tell you that I think the BACON in England is some of the best in the world.
This guy I've got staying with me, who finally made it from Miami ;) is en route to where he works in the Middle East. He's been eating all the sausages, bacon, pork pies and anything else with pig in it that he can lay his hands on!

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 11:21:14 AM »
I would rather dress down and go to the lake.

Love summer in Austin..

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
BTW i have more pics from my boat if yall would like more.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »
FX1, I vote yes, more pix!   :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 11:33:50 AM »
LOL.. a bikini with a condom pocket?

:cool:

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »

MY GF

I have more but their on my putter at home. All pics were taken 8mins from my work and 11 mins from 6th street. Austin is great because you can have a drink downtown and be on the lake in 10 mins.  Also i do have my .40 in my boat at all times lol.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
I can have a drink downtown and be in the ocean in about 15 seconds.  In fact many drunken tourists have done just that.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 01:15:41 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
I would rather dress down and go to the lake.

Love summer in Austin..

ok.. Texass wins!

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »
In Oct Nov and March sure. Hell we were surfing in Jan this year. I have been to england and the weather blows. Beach is only 3 hours from Austin so its ia nice drive and i can get in the water and have sun too boot. Good happy people live in Texas. Come down to Austin i will show you the real Texas. I dont go to Dallas Houston and if your thinking thats Texas your wrong. Go to alittle town called Cotulla and you will see Texas for sure just dont to drunk floating down the river.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
In Oct Nov and March sure.  

Absolutely.

See, although I am "sticking up" for England in this thread I live in Bermuda.  This might help to explain Rip's post.  :)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »
Someone say something about Bacon! Texans like our bacon fresh!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3861202201141929898

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 02:16:38 PM »
Just wait. Soon Beet will post pics of Brit girls in Bikinis!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!