Author Topic: England VS. Texas (which is better thread)  (Read 4455 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
England VS. Texas (which is better thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
To help you decide SOB, I'll tell you that I think the BACON in England is some of the best in the world.

Hell, I'd already choose England over Texas, but the bacon part really does seal the deal.  I'm guessing they're lacking on good BBQ joints though.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
He's from the Northwest...we're afraid of the sun up here.  All other agendas generally melt away when we're confronted by this fear.  :)

All you need to do is go about 100 mi east and you get all the sun you need.  Many of us in the Northwest are smart enough to live on the east slope of the Cascades.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 02:34:04 PM »
"Hell, I'd already choose England over Texas"

sob.... you have obviously never been to england or Texas.

lazs

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
Just wait. Soon Beet will post pics of Brit girls in Bikinis!

I'm waiting

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 02:43:28 PM »
Its probably past Beetle's bedtime ;)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'd like an even better thread than this, in which people were allowed to post only if they'd been to both England and Texas.  

Yep, been there.

Originally posted by Airscrew
RAF Little Rissington near Burton-on-the-Water

Been there as well.

Originally posted by Airscrew
We helped inventory and setup a USAF Contingency Hospital there.

Good lad!  I dated a USAF nurse based there for a while.

Anyway, to the point.  

England has fallen.  

England has been under seige by foreign invaders for many years and now they've over run it.  Consider England a barbarian country and it's populace hostile.  Thank Christ for Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Cornwall (which, trust me, is a different country to England) cos they're existance is all that makes Britain Great (with the exception of the Cornish who merely exist).  England sucks.

However, anyone that says Britain sucks will be picking up their teeth, capish?

P.S.  yeah, I'd prefer to be in Texas.  Mmmmmm, ribs.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 03:29:39 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Mmmmmm, ribs.

They were very very good I must admit.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 03:39:47 PM »
Any BBQ joint trumps 7911 Indian curry joints.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 05:21:30 PM »
I dunno.......that's a tough one.

Any Texas rib place you can name v The Blue Elephant in London.

Hmmmmm.......

This is gonna take some thinking about.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
"Hell, I'd already choose England over Texas"

sob.... you have obviously never been to england or Texas.

lazs

I've been to Texas enough times to know I don't wanna live there.  That'd be four or five...'course that's all in Dallas or Houston, and I've heard Austin is nice.  Still, probably to friggin' hot though.  Never been to jolly ole England.  But I like rain, I prefer to be close to the coast, and I prefer weatherbeaten beaches to sunny ones.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »
this is not fair, Texas is a state that is bigger than many countries, England is a country that is smaller than many states.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
Just wait. Soon Beet will post pics of Brit girls in Bikinis!

_must_resist_urge_to_mention_ bruises_ :)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by FX1

MY GF

I have more but their on my putter at home. All pics were taken 8mins from my work and 11 mins from 6th street. Austin is great because you can have a drink downtown and be on the lake in 10 mins.  Also i do have my .40 in my boat at all times lol.

God Bless Texas:aok

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 11:53:55 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'd like an even better thread than this, in which people were allowed to post only if they'd been to both England and Texas.

Didn't spend much time in the UK and didn't want to. It rained and every building was drafty and moldy. Oh, and I'll never forget the look of contempt on the teller's face at the exchange when in my ignorance I asked her if she had any one-pound notes.

I can see a connection between the chill in the English air and the chill in "English airs", but which feeds from the other is a mystery to me. Was it dreary outside when you made the observation above?

In contrast, I'm moving back to TX as soon as I'm able. Next time, I'm staying. It's the only place on Earth I've been to that I'm looking forward to living in.

Don't get me wrong, Beetle. I'm happy that you're happy where you are.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:44:28 AM by VOR »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »
Originally posted by VOR
Didn't spend much time in the UK and didn't want to. It rained and every building was drafty and moldy. Oh, and I'll never forget the look of contempt on the teller's face at the exchange when in my ignorance I asked her if she had any one-pound notes.

I can see a connection between the chill in the English air and the chill in "English airs", but which feeds from the other is a mystery to me. Was it dreary outside when you made the observation above?

In contrast, I'm moving back to TX as soon as I'm able. Next time, I'm staying. It's the only place on Earth I've been to that I'm looking forward to living in.

Don't get me wrong, Beetle. I'm happy that you're happy where you are.
Well VOR, at least you've been here, so your opinion counts, unlike some who know jack all about the UK, never having been here. Yes it does rain sometimes - it's not raining today and the sun's out.

I've had experiences similar to your banking experience. I asked a bank in the US if they could supply me with some pounds sterling, sterling being the proper name for the UK currency,  for a trip home I was about to make. And the lady said "I'm sorry sir - we don't deal in precious metals" :lol

The other time was when I went to the US Post Office - the one near Cicero & Addsison in Chicago - to send an important letter to England. The US postal worker had not heard of the "United Kingdom" and thought it was in Russia!

this is not fair, Texas is a state that is bigger than many countries, England is a country that is smaller than many states. - john9001
It's a dubious comparison at best. Some people seem to think that size and size alone = diversity, which is of course bollocks.

Someone posted in the other thread that there was a distance of 900 miles between the Texas towns of El Paso and Beaumont, as if I was supposed to be impressed. I later made my own checks, and determined that the great circle distance was in fact ~738 miles. So I guess Britain has something Texas doesn't have - Roman roads - nice and straight!

The furthest you can travel in mainland Britain is 874 miles, between Land's End and John O'Groats. I assume this is a great circle distance, in which case the road distance would be ~1000 miles, but I can't be arsed to check. (A straight line would involve a water crossing) No bikini girl pics, but I took this one at Land's End last year. LE is in Cornwall - Swoop's favourite county! It's only adjoining county is Devonshire, to the east. ( ;) at Mr. T)

Of course, Land's End is in England whereas John O'Groats is in Scotland, and some people might point out that this journey involves two countries - LOL! But wait, they're both part of the UK - since 1707 - but I know some guys on this board like to use information that's hundreds of years out of date. :D

Airscrew! - sorry about the prolonged period of toodle-pippage. I have a friend staying with me this week. He's on his way "home" to Qatar in the Middle East, and has been consuming two things in prodigious quantities while he still can - pork products and alcohol! So we had an evening out at this 14th century pub, about 3 miles from my house, where we sampled various local beers and had dinner - pork escalope! For as often as I come here, I really ought to have an account with that taxi firm...

Places like this ^ were amongst the things that I missed during my three years in the US. Old pubs like this one, and of course the "real ales" available within. In my travels around America, I never found anything like this of course. Although this place is 14th century, it's only been a pub in recent years - since c1700 - and I don't mean 5pm. LOL

To be fair, I should add that beer in the US has improved, with great strides having been made in the last ~20 years. There are a few excellent microbrewery pubs in Denver near Coors Field, and another good one I know in New York - the West Side Brewing company at 76th & Amsterdam - plus a great many in between I have no doubt. Don't know about Texas though. :confused: