Author Topic: England VS. Texas (which is better thread)  (Read 4456 times)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
England VS. Texas (which is better thread)
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2006, 06:48:32 AM »
One thing i love about England is it's nice soft grass- i'm not kidding.:)

If i don't move abroad i think i'll probably settle back in Devon After uni.  I miss the sun and the coast lots up here in leeds.

Yay for devon
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2006, 07:21:08 AM »
Someone posted in the other thread that there was a distance of 900 miles between the Texas towns of El Paso and Beaumont, as if I was supposed to be impressed. I later made my own checks, and determined that the great circle distance was in fact ~738 miles. So I guess Britain has something Texas doesn't have - Roman roads - nice and straight!

[/B]

It wasn't posted to impress you ya dweeb :)  I am impressed by your ability to circle jerk an argument to prove a point nobody cares about though. Really, everybody travels from point A to point B in a straight line
 :rolleyes:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2006, 08:18:20 AM »
I don't drink... if I never see the inside of a smoky, drafty, creaky old pub again it will be no big loss... if I never drive on a back road that is not wide enough for one car much less two... I won't mind.

Beet... the difference between your experiance with salespeople/bankers and VOR's is that you weren't the victim of rudeness... he was.  Not knowing that pounds sterling was just more overblown paper was no big deal but being rude is IMO.

having said that... people in england were very friendly to me... the women were very nice.  Most of you here would laugh about how ignorant they were about the U.S. tho... even the ones who claimed to have been "there".   The accents were really horrible too... but then... new york or boston or main accents with their donkey like braying are more annoying.

The only roads in england that I seen that were straight were a couple of narrow, rain soaked freeways with intermittent traffic jams on em.  Every other road looked like it was not only inspired and built by romans but.... was last maintained by em.   If one chariot could fit on it then it was plenty wide enough.

I am giving Texas serious thought for retirement.  I can't imagine anyone giving england serious thought to live in if they had the choice.

You will find limeys in Texas.... ex brit citizens... pretty sure you won't find many Americans in england who gave up their citizenship to be british tho.

lazs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:20:56 AM by lazs2 »

storch

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2006, 08:24:34 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I don't drink... if I never see the inside of a smoky, drafty, creaky old pub again it will be no big loss... if I never drive on a back road that is not wide enough for one car much less two... I won't mind.

Beet... the difference between your experiance with salespeople/bankers and VOR's is that you weren't the victim of rudeness... he was.  Not knowing that pounds sterling was just more overblown paper was no big deal but being rude is IMO.

having said that... people in england were very friendly to me... the women were very nice.  Most of you here would laugh about how ignorant they were about the U.S. tho... even the ones who claimed to have been "there".   The accents were really horrible too... but then... new york or boston or main accents with their donkey like braying are more annoying.

The only roads in england that I seen that were straight were a couple of narrow, rain soaked freeways with intermittent traffic jams on em.  Every other road looked like it was not only inspired and built by romans but.... was last maintained by em.   If one chariot could fit on it then it was plenty wide enough.

I am giving Texas serious thought for retirement.  I can't imagine anyone giving england serious thought to live in if they had the choice.

You will find limeys in Texas.... ex brit citizens... pretty sure you won't find many Americans in england who gave up their citizenship to be british tho.

lazs
John Paul Getty, a former texan was a british subject at the end of his life.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »
Funny how Oktoberfest suddenly became a "Texan" thing.... *shakes head*...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
would "one" be considered..... "not many"?

lazs

storch

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 08:36:55 AM »
except that that "one" was worth many

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 08:51:13 AM »
soo... I guess for you that would prove that england is better than Texas?

lazs

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 09:56:41 AM »
Ive always wanted to goto a pub like the Slaughtered Lamb and be warned to stay on the road..keep out of the moors.

~AoM~

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 09:58:17 AM »
It's the Hound of the Baskervilles you need to watch. Get ya every time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Funny how Oktoberfest suddenly became a "Texan" thing.... *shakes head*...

I don't think it's a "Texas thing" persay but something not very well known is that Texas has a bunch of "germantowns"  Basically towns settled by Germans long  ago that kept alot of their cultural identity.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head is Muenster, wich is just west of Sherman, TX and New Braunfels.  Both of these towns put on a helleva good Oktoberfest.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 10:09:46 AM »
I want to visit the England from those James Herriot novels. With the country vets and the dogs under the pub stools and the crochety old farmers with the stone fences and the whiskey and scones for desert England.... that would be cool.

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 10:15:52 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I don't think it's a "Texas thing" persay but something not very well known is that Texas has a bunch of "germantowns"  Basically towns settled by Germans long  ago that kept alot of their cultural identity.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head is Muenster, wich is just west of Sherman, TX and New Braunfels.  Both of these towns put on a helleva good Oktoberfest.

Germantowns huh, you've basically described all of SE Pennsylvania. :)
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »
I was never really overwhelmed by the scones themselves. However, when you slather them with the clotted cream, they improve considerably.

Still... it is really nice the way dogs are integrated into daily life. They let my lab pup ride on the train with me to the airport. She just sat (or slept) on the floor by my seat. Everyone took it as quite normal, stopping to talk to her and pet her.

I think Amtrak would freak if I tried that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I was never really overwhelmed by the scones themselves. However, when you slather them with the clotted cream, they improve considerably.

Flying to India in December I was bumped up to First Class....which was really sweet.  About 15 minutes into the flight I was offered a scone with clotted cream and jam.  I nixed the jam but slathered on the clotted cream.  OH BLISS..all the malanky hairs on my plot stood up endways.  ;)

I ended up ring-dinging that call bell every few minutes until I ran the plane out of scones.:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain