Author Topic: England VS. Texas (which is better thread)  (Read 4486 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
England VS. Texas (which is better thread)
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 10:33:40 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
if I never see the inside of a smoky, drafty, creaky old pub again it will be no big loss
LOL Lazs! That describes last night's pub perfectly! :D However it did have a log fire burning - all the good pubs do. But take heart - Tony Blair is clutching his ban stick again, and smoking in public places including pubs will be banned in 2007.

Krusher ;)

Thrila - is that Salcombe area?

MT - "I want to visit the England from those James Herriot novels. With the country vets and the dogs under the pub stools and the crochety old farmers with the stone fences and the whiskey and scones for desert England.... that would be cool." It just so happens I'll be doing exactly that next month! Here's a pic of the Dales I took in '99 (crappy old camera - sorry) showing those "fences" - they're actually called dry stone walls. :)

Staying at this very cottage. In the Dales, there are no brick houses. All the houses are built from stone like this one. We stayed here in '99 too. The walls of this cottage are 4ft thick. The weather was cloudy all week :(

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
WTF is "clotted cream"???? Is it anything like either whipped cream or cream cheese???
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »
Ive always wanted to goto a pub like the Slaughtered Lamb and be warned to stay on the road..keep out of the moors.

LMAO!
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2006, 10:39:10 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I was never really overwhelmed by the scones themselves. However, when you slather them with the clotted cream, they improve considerably.
You have just described a Devonshire Cream Tea - and it really is Devonshire in that context! Never touch 'em, myself. Far too sweet. I've never had a sweet tooth...

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2006, 10:40:01 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
WTF is "clotted cream"???? Is it anything like either whipped cream or cream cheese???

It is gorgeousness and gorgeosity.

It is a thick, slightly sweet cream.  Thicker than whipped cream.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
You're first impression when looking at it is that it is something a tuberular cat hacked up.

However, like oysters, you just have to give it a go. It's good stuff.

Typically, as Curval says, it's Scones with Clotted Cream and Jam. Jam is optional, IMO. With Jam is good too, though, especially the "Straaaw-bree" jam.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Thanks Curv and Toad.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2006, 11:11:20 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I don't think it's a "Texas thing" persay but something not very well known is that Texas has a bunch of "germantowns"  Basically towns settled by Germans long  ago that kept alot of their cultural identity.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head is Muenster, wich is just west of Sherman, TX and New Braunfels.  Both of these towns put on a helleva good Oktoberfest.

When I think of German influence, traditions and culture in Texas, I think of the Hill country. Fredricksburg, Johnson City, etc.
Not only is the countryside some of the most beautifull you will see anywhere, the folks in that area are fantastic. If you like German style food, then the Fredricksburg area is the place to go in Texas. Fantastic.
South from there, in the coastal plains area , small towns such as Damon and George West there is a heavy Bohemian influence. I would spend a couple a months a year in that area for a few years. I can say that , without a doubt, I have enver seen folks anywhere so friendly, hospitable and enjoyable to hang out with.
There is really not many cultures and different heritages that you can`t find in Texas. You just have to get off the point A to point B routine.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
Personally, if it's German style food I'm after, I'd go to Germany. Kind of obvious place to start... :aok

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
But in Texas, (much like any other state) you can walk next door to the German restaurant and take your pick of Cantoneze, Sichuan, Hunan, Indian, Mexican, Tex-Mex, BBQ, Sicilian, Creole, Thai, Kosher, 36 oz steak and 2 lbs Idaho russets, Buffalo wings, Cajon, .....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
But in Texas, (much like any other state) you can walk next door to the German restaurant and take your pick of Cantoneze, Sichuan, Hunan, Indian, Mexican, Tex-Mex, BBQ, Sicilian, Creole, Thai, Kosher, 36 oz steak and 2 lbs Idaho russets, Buffalo wings, Cajon, .....

wow, amazing.

In Germany they ONLY have German food.:rolleyes:
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
Holden - Not sure if that would be good or bad! But - in Amsterdam, there's a small area in the main canal district where there's a similarly wide choice of restaurants of different nationalities. Same thing in Antwerp, although that's Belgium. Being able to get there helps... :cool::aok

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Personally, if it's German style food I'm after, I'd go to Germany. Kind of obvious place to start... :aok

#1 What Holden said.
#2 By going to Germany you would miss out on being in Texas. Sort of obvious I would think.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
wow, amazing.

In Germany they ONLY have German food.:rolleyes:
:rofl

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
#2 By going to Germany you would miss out on being in Texas. Sort of obvious I would think.
Some people consider that to be an advantage. I'm saying nowt! :p