Author Topic: Sign of the time.....  (Read 884 times)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Sign of the time.....
« on: October 10, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
How is "God Bless America" offensive displayed anywhere in America?

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2001, 08:49:00 PM »
i'm not the least bit religious and it doesnt bother me. i guess you have to have something propping yer back door open to be offebded by that if ya know what i mean.   ;)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
Don't bother me.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2001, 09:59:00 PM »
i don't think you can say "god bless america " in schools , but i could be wrong

someone said on 9-11 ,everyone could pray except kids in public schools

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2001, 10:03:00 PM »
This country was founed on religion so why is it wrong. I say to the kids stand your ground if you want to pray, pray the hell with those that dont.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
Actually, this country isn't founded on religion.

It's founded on basic rights.

The religious beliefs didn't become a part of our society until recently (past 70 years). Pennies from 1940 didn't have "In God We Trust" (atleast I don't recall seeing it). Kids in public schools are not allowed to pray, nor are they allowed to say anything related to any religion.

Seperation of church and state.

There are entirely too many religions in this country to say that we are founded and based on one- although there is a majority, and they tend to go to private or religious schools where they are allowed to practice their faith freely because they are among like minded individuals.

I've seen the signs (well bed sheets with words written in marker or crayon or wax) with "God Bless America", and me being vehemently anti-semite (is that how you spell it?).... well I really thought nothing of it.

It doesn't bother me nor offend me. Just the other day we had older men handing out the "New Testament" at my local college. I was offered one several times by different men. I politely refused. They didn't force it on me, but other kids did take them. I make no judgement calls on that, if it helps them get along or feel better about something- more power to them.

It's when it's shoved in my face and I'm forced to accept it, that I despise it.

So far, I believe it's a reaction to these recent events and the people that are handing out their religious beliefs on the street corners, or hanging them from bridges, are simply doing it to get them and other like minded individuals through these rough times.

In other words, I whole heartedly support it so long as it doesn't interfere with my preferences. Which it hasn't, and never will so long as the US of A exists.
-SW

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2001, 10:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
Actually, this country isn't founded on religion.

The religious beliefs didn't become a part of our society until recently (past 70 years). Pennies from 1940 didn't have "In God We Trust" (atleast I don't recall seeing it). Kids in public schools are not allowed to pray, nor are they allowed to say anything related to any religion.

actually that is not true. This country was wholly Christian in faith in its infancy. It doesnt take alot of looking to prove it either. It wasn't till the past 70 years that Christianity in this country was given any real competition in idealism. One instance that come to mind is the Scopes-monkey trial in Dayton Tenn. And in more present times the ACLU is foremost in the lead to squelch any kind public display of Prayer or Christian faith practice.

Seperation of Chruch and State-- hmmm so you believe that the founding fathers had in mind that their should be no guidance from god in leading of this country? I dont think that is what was meant by this. The Catholic church had become a huge political power in Europe and they didnt not want to see the same oppresive nature of what it was in England reside in the New Country. I dont believe  for one minute that this country was founded on anything less than a strong faith in Jesus Christ. God was accepted as Lord, and Supreme.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2001, 11:03:00 PM »
There's a difference between founded on and founded by.

Founded by Christians. Not founded on Christianity.

Atleast that's how I see it.

"hmmm so you believe that the founding fathers had in mind that their should be no guidance from god in leading of this country?"

I don't understand this. I said seperation of church and state to back up my statement about state schools not allowing religion in them.

Obviously any leader of the US has Christianity backing him, or atleast he tells the public that, it's what wins elections.

Do I believe a god, any god, should be used to guide your decisions?

If he's up there, he sure never listened or replied to me, so I don't understand how you can be guided by something...

eh nevermind this is going to be a rediculously long argument for no benefit other than we both won't see eye to eye.
-SW

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2001, 11:04:00 PM »
I thought it wuz Dinty Moore Beef Stew.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Red Ant

• Copper Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2001, 11:05:00 PM »
This country was founded largely on principles laid out in Plato's "Republic". I don't think anyone would accuse Plato of being Christian. SOME of the founding fathers were active Christians. Others (judging by their writings) were of a more metaphysical bent. To say that the founding fathers were "wholly Christian" is an overstatement. To say that the United States was founded on Christian principles is uninformed. The "under God" in the Pledge of allegiance is a fairly recent addition.

Personally, as a permament resident of the U.S. eligible for citizenship, I find the "under God" a major philosophical stumbling block to my becoming a citizen of a country that I've grown to love, admire & support.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Ant:
This country was founded largely on principles laid out in Plato's "Republic". I don't think anyone would accuse Plato of being Christian. SOME of the founding fathers were active Christians. Others (judging by their writings) were of a more metaphysical bent. To say that the founding fathers were "wholly Christian" is an overstatement. To say that the United States was founded on Christian principles is uninformed. The "under God" in the Pledge of allegiance is a fairly recent addition.

Personally, as a permament resident of the U.S. eligible for citizenship, I find the "under God" a major philosophical stumbling block to my becoming a citizen of a country that I've grown to love, admire & support.

GET HIM !! HE'S UN AMERICAN !!! COMMIE SLEEPER !! GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY NOW !!! YEEEHHHHHAAAA !!

:D

<g,d,r>

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by john9001:
i don't think you can say "god bless america " in schools , but i could be wrong

someone said on 9-11 ,everyone could pray except kids in public schools

That is total BS. Kids could pray just fine in school. It's just that the teachers of public schools cannot make them pray or lead them in prayer.

If you are trying to raise you kid as an atiest, do you want someone making your young and impressionable child pray?

If you are a christian and the teacher happens to be of the different religion/denomination, would you want him/her to lead your children in prayer? Roll out prayer rugs and pray towards Mecca? Sacrifice a chicken? Sing Hare Krishna? Burn incense in front of six-armed figurine of a naked woman? Worship spirits? Perform shaman dance? Talk to the ancestors?

How do you imagine that working in a public school?

miko

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
You can pray in school, it's just that you can't have lead prayers.  It's a fairly recent change down here.  There used to be a prayer before high school football games over the PA system.  I think it stopped during my sophomore or junior year.  The kids don't have prayers, but I guarantee you our school offices do.  I politely bow my head out of respect for my co-workers when they pray, yet I do not join them.  I'm glad there isn't lead prayer in schools.  I know first hand how the kids that didn't believe in the majority would feel.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

highflyer

Sign of the time.....
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
I see it all now Wulf,... you dont belive in god.

This clears alot of things up as to why you are always so negitive. You havn't seen the light.

This country was based on The faith in GOD. It was based on Christian Beliefs and Ideals.

Politics are an Evil, its pretty lame that over time people have worried more about being politically correct than rightously right for praise of God.

Obviously any leader of the US has Christianity backing him, or atleast he tells the public that, it's what wins elections.

Praise GOD. Praise Jesus for it. I only hope that We have leaders that are lead by the lord.  

If he's up there, he sure never listened or replied to me, so I don't understand how you can be guided by something...

Have you really actually asked for him?

I gaurentee that you will receive an Answer if you do, and when you do, you will know the truth.

Knock, and the door will be opened... just have to do it.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Sign of the time.....
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
I don't belive God has joined any religion.  I've never heard anyone claim as much.  I figure He knows way more about it than I do.  If he ever does endorse one.  Thats the one I'm joining.  Then I'll know God is on our side.