Author Topic: "New" system on the cheap question  (Read 369 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
"New" system on the cheap question
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »
Hi,

I have very low bucks and need an upgrade as my current system based on an AMD 1800 processor is way out of it's "prime".

Here is what I am going to do. I will need to keep costs to the bare minumum so I'll reuse my current vid card (an ATI All in Wonder 9600 128 meg card AGP) and my sound card (Creative SB 16). I am staying with the sound card because I may want to use my joystick (CH Pro analog) and rudder pedals (TM analog) with the system if I get the flying bug again. I currently have an ATX case but will get a 400 watt PS upgrade. If I could afford another couple hundred bucks I'd go with another ATI card, as this brand has given me the best sevice ever compared to the Nvidia ones I had before.

Here is what I propose to buy and need an evaluation. The AGP situation limited my options.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 processor
ASUS A8V socket 939 with Via K 8T800 Mobo
512 Megs of DDR 3200 ram (may be from current rig or crucial sticks)
160 Gig hard drive
DVD burner (2 level)
CD RW drive (or may re use the old one I have.

I was going to stay with my copy of windows XP home. Has anyone switched computers and reregistered it? I am unsure how that would work if I loaded the already registered copy in the new system.

This should net me a big increase in speed until I can update the vid card. What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:35:28 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »
Add  512 Mo of ram for a total of 1024 it's not costly and worth the investment

If your budget is tight ,you would better grab a ASROCK 939DUAL-SATA2 and buy a PCI-E video card later.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
Wouldn't the dual sata system require a compatible HD?

Toms hardware had a budget gaming system that used the asrock mobo. Every review said the asrock had poor connection placement and some problems on start up unless new drivers were obtained first.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
An old UltraATA/133  disk should would work without trouble.

For the mobo, it was the one I wanted to buy when the budget was killed by my wife :)

I thin it's a good choice because it offer the PCI-E as an upgrade path.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 12:32:50 AM »
Mav, I have re-registered my copy of Windows several times.  Keys to getting through it are as follows (because Habib will ask you questions in between making Slushees for his other customers)

1.  When he asks you if its the first time you have registered this product, be honest and say no.  Some conversation here regarding a generic "gaming" hobby and how you have to constantly upgrade hardware and how you are concerned that this will become a common occurrence doesnt hurt.  

2.  When he asks you why you have to register it again, tell him its because of a hardware upgrade, mention "gaming" again and ask more directly something along the lines of "is this going to happen every time I upgrade too much hardware at once?"  Make it his fault.  It makes those customer service genes kick in.  Be offended.  If they smell fear or nervousness, you are dead.

3.  He will probably ask if your version of Windows came in a box or installed on a computer.  It ALWAYS came in a box.  Even if it was OEM.  NEVER ADMIT TO BUYING OEM.  Even if you did.  

4.  This is the ONLY computer that has this install of Windows on it.  Even if it isnt, this is STILL the only computer with this install of Windows on it.  This is also the same computer you already had, even if it isnt.  Are you re-using the old case?  Its the same computer.  The same hard drives?  Same computer.  You NEVER let them know you have a NEW computer, this is an UPGRADE to the existing one.  Upgrades are allowed.  New computer?  Buy new software.  lol

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 09:32:16 AM »
you this is strange, but i've never had to call to reregister by telephone . i always  do it online---when asked during installation. i have  done many upgrades from the lowly emachine i bought 3 years ago. nothing is thr same, maybe the floppy. on each upgrade i reregistered online.

regards

acetnt

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Re: "New" system on the cheap question
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Hi,

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 processor
ASUS A8V socket 939 with Via K 8T800 Mobo
512 Megs of DDR 3200 ram (may be from current rig or crucial sticks)
160 Gig hard drive
DVD burner (2 level)
CD RW drive (or may re use the old one I have.

I just built a similar system, and I understand the limited budget :)

I have the AMD 64 2300+
ASUS A8N-E MB
160G Drive

The MB has a built in sound card and comes with a joystick port that connects the the board.   But this board would require a PCI-E Video Card
The built in sound cards come with the output pins, but sometimes do not come with the port.

I picked up the Hitachi 160G drive about a week ago at Best Buy for around $60.  I like starting a new build with a new drive, and keeping the old drive as a backup.

I would suggest going to at least 1G of RAM if you can swing it.  Upgrading later with a second 512 stick seems to be a problem with newer PCs.  You need to have a matched set for it to work.  I know a few people that needed to pull the existing stick and buy a new matched set to make it work.

Also check into new cases and compare them to the price of the power supply.  You can pick up some rather inexpensive cases with power supply.  I have 2 Antec cases and they are well built with good power supplies.  The one I have has a 400W PS.  I have a Saphire ATI X400 GTO video card, a neon lamp and a bunch of lighted fans. It has plenty of power to run everything.

I didn't have any problems re-authorizing my WinXP upgrade version again with a new PC.

Good Luck,
Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 10:59:57 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the posts regarding winblows. I don't have a problem registering software but I didn't know what the hassle would be to go through an upgrade or even a full format. I didn't know how much system info went to megashaft when I registered it the first time.

As far as I know I purchased a license to have the software installed on one system. I didn't think that meant it could never be moved to the new system as long as I only used one system with the same program. Formating the old HD if I gave it away deletes windows so I wouldn't be "giving" the software to another user and leaving it on a second system. I could be wrong but that's the way I interpreted the license issue.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 12:18:55 PM »
SATA drives arent terribly expensive but significantly faster.

If you have the bucks to do a RAID (2 drives), you'll see a I/O boost.  I always go RAID 1 (mirror).  RAID 0 is faster but if a drive chugs, you've lost it all.  If your machine is a dedicated game rig and all your important stuff is on another PC, no problem.  

I've only had one system I had to call MS when re-registering.  Its all automated...make sure you have speakerphone, its vastly easier  :)

If you have some bucks (by not going RAID), I'd really encourage you to go from 512 to 1GB (or even 2gb).  Its a huge kick in the pants to go from 512 to 1gb and a really nice one to go from 1GB to 2GB

I dont know where you shop...BestBuy, NewEgg, etc but there are a lot of really sweet cards for $150-$189 to choose from.  256mb, etc.  I think the ATi 1600 series is in that spot as are some GeForce 6800s.  I prefer nVidia myself while I know others, like Skuzzy, have ATI pajamas, bedsheets and have custom "ILUVATI" on their license plates ;)   All mocking aside, they make a really nice card.    So in short, for not a lot extra, you can upgrade the video...I know I read all the new graphic card reviews and am amazed at the $495 pricetags and higher.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 10:22:23 PM »
Edit:

I have the AMD 64 2300+

to

I have an AMD 64 3200+

---

Gunner
Transposers US R