Author Topic: Choose you religion with help of web!  (Read 814 times)

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
Choose you religion with help of web!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
Atheist, here.  No surprise, really.   :)

I suppose atheism fits a religous belief category (the lack thereof, namely), but implying there are shared beliefs among atheists is pushing it.  The only thing we're guaranteed to share is our lack of theism.  And agnosticism is just a position on the 'knowability' of deities and doesn't only associate with atheism (although an agnostic theist best not get into discussions involving his beliefs).   :)

Originally posted by Sandman_SBM:
Actually Santa, the webpage identifies a belief system. It doesn't necessarily identify a religion to go with it.

Humanism... I've got the church for you. Do a search for Anton Levay.    :eek:

Hehe, kinda a Pat Robertson-esque stretch to associate Anton's 'Satanism' with humanism.  It's bad enough some claim humanism is a religion.   :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
All prongs on the same fork, GWH...  :)

I need to brush up on my knowledge of secular humanism, but it seems that there are more than a few humanist beliefs within the satanic bible.

BTW... it's not a bad read until you get to the magic mumbo jumbo... of course, I could say much the same about wicca.
sand

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
All prongs on the same fork, GWH...   :)

I need to brush up on my knowledge of secular humanism, but it seems that there are more than a few humanist beliefs within the satanic bible.

That could be.  I'm not a secular humanist, myself (too idealistic for me) and I'm not really all that familiar with Anton's version of satanism (just seems like a silly idea meant to scare WASPs to me).  It's just that I've seen too many silly people mistakenly claiming that humanism somehow leads to/comes from/is equal to satanism.  Since you're just joking about the whole thing, it's all good.   :)

BTW... it's not a bad read until you get to the magic mumbo jumbo... of course, I could say much the same about wicca.[/QUOTE]

Hell, you could say that about practically all religious texts.  I guess it just depends on which magic mumbo-jumbo gives a person the warm fuzzies.   :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2001, 11:09:00 PM »
I don't think I'd agree that humanism comes from, leads to or is equal with satanism, but it seems that they do share some beliefs. I threw that thought out originally because satanism isn't noted and humanism appears to be the closest thing to it on the list.

WRT to the magic mumbo jumbo. Protestant christian rituals strike me as purely symbolic while the wiccan and satanic rituals have an objective that is expected to be manifested physically, in this plane of existence.

After reading some of these posts, I think I need to buy a book or two on Buddhism and Hinduism. Of these, I know nothing. Might be interesting. I've got a book or two by Deepak Chopra which I believe fits in the "new age" category. If that's the right category. He has some interesting thoughts reconciling the theories of Stephen Hawking with the presence of god. It's out there, but it does have some logic to it.

Oh... and one last thing...

No scientologists?

Good.
sand

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
He has some interesting thoughts reconciling the theories of Stephen Hawking with the presence of god. It's out there, but it does have some logic to it.

Well, only if you're VERY loose with the physics part.  I like his intent, but Chopra is very fanciful.  Some interesting writing on him at the Skeptic's Dictionary (http://skepdic.com/), which is a site I highly recommend.

- Yoj

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
No question. Chopra is a quack.

but...

He doesn't send his diciples to my door asking for money.
sand

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
Unitarian Universalist....

There is more to life then this but i dunno what  :)

Broes