Author Topic: Patriot Act Redux  (Read 707 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
The approval in the House of Representatives, by a vote of 280-138, sent the measure to President Bush for his signature.

The Senate last week voted 89-10 to approve the compromise package, which covers 16 provisions in the act that are set to expire on March 10.

US Senate:

109th Congress (2005-2007)

Majority Party: Republican (55 seats)

Minority Party:  Democrat (44 seats)

Other Parties: Independent (1 seat)

Total Seats: 100

All but 9 of 44 Democratic Senators voted in favor.

US House:

109th (2005-2007)

Total  435

Republican (232)

Democrat (202)

Independent (1)

In the House there was a much more clear "party line":

Republicans voted in favor of the measures 214-13; among Democrats, 66 voted for the renewal, and 124 voted against it. One Independent voted against renewal.

The question is does this qualify as a bi-partisan decision to renew the Patriot Act?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:04:14 PM »
First, we would have to agree that there is some difference between the Democrats and Republicans.

I expect that the differences can be found only at the extremes.

Both pander to the middle.
sand

storch

Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 11:56:46 PM »
yup there is no fundamental difference in the political parties, it's full steam ahead to remove us from our historical rights.  sadly the 215 year old experiment in self governance and personal liberty that is the American way of life is on the way out.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:02:18 AM »
Osama 5 - USA 0

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:32:57 AM »
When it comes to giving the government more power and growing the government...

Both sides are in agreement.

lazs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:40:08 AM »
this must be one of those threads that are like old time toilets....a hole in the ground where people squat down and deliver their most useful bits of wisdom.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/R?cp109:FLD010:@1(hr333)

I just hope that when the uniforms are designed they [edited] DON'T choose the color black nor do they add any emblems in the shape of a skull.

SEC. 605. THE UNIFORMED DIVISION, UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE.... ...is hereby created and established a permanent police force, to be known as the `United States Secret Service Uniformed Division'provision[/B]

"(b)(1) Under the direction of the Director of the Secret Service, members of the United States Secret Service Uniformed Division are authorized to...
  (B) make arrests without warrant for any offense against the United States committed in their presence, or for any felony cognizable under the laws of the United States if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing such felony"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 09:24:53 AM by Westy »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:37 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
this must be one of those threads that are like old time toilets....a hole in the ground where people squat down and deliver their most useful bits of wisdom.

lookee there now, there's another useless terd of wisdom...

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 09:50:30 AM »
"(b)(1) Under the direction of the Director of the Secret Service, members of the United States Secret Service Uniformed Division are authorized to...
(B) make arrests without warrant for any offense against the United States
====
What do you suppose the writers of this provision visualized as a warrant?

and

Since when has law enforcement needed a warrant to make an arrest?

Hangtime, start frothing at the mouth proclaiming that american life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness has ended thanks to bush cheney and haliburton, your much more entertaining when you get like that :aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 09:52:37 AM »
I do not suck air or displace water to serve as your entertainment in life, yeag.

Buy a TV or somethin.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Osama 5 - USA 0

Spot on.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:06:47 AM »
well........that was sort of entertaining.  Not enough frothy foam though :cry

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
"Not enough frothy foam though.."

Let's see if I can help.

YOUR government gets even better Yeager...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/03/20060307-5.html

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
ahhh yes the westy is here to save me from.........

Bushler?

Executive Order: Responsibilities of the Department of Homeland Security with Respect to Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
====
Read it, kept looking for the noose, couldn't find it.  WHats the rub here westy?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:16:31 AM by Yeager »

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
Wheres' the rub? I'd spell it out in simple "werds" for you Yeager but you're too myopic to see em.

p.s. I'm not here to save you from anything. Folks like you deserve everything you get.  But wasting MY tax contribution for such right-wing bull**** as this is the least of my problems with this...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:48:52 AM by Westy »