Author Topic: Patriot Act Redux  (Read 706 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 10:25:48 AM »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »
spare me the dramatics westy.  when you have something useful to say, Ill focus in on it.  Thanks.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
4- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and HTC. Flaming or abusing users is not tolerated.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:05:30 PM by MP3 »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »
Originally posted by Westy
make arrests without warrant for any offense against the United States committed in their presence, or for any felony cognizable under the laws of the United States if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing such felony"

Uh westy,

Get a clue bud. That is the exact same situation for ALL Law Enforcement in the USA under the constitution. Try reading what you cut and pasted will ya. FWIW the Secret Service already HAD powers of arrest for Federal law violations.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 10:54:05 AM »
westy you are correct, I have no desire to discuss anything meaningful with you in this format.  I do wish you would be more entertaining however, but apparently once I let you guys in on that little aspect of my reading pleasure you make every effort not to be entertaining anymore......:cry
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »
Maverick if it is no different why does it have to be spelled out?  Because the federal government and Homeland security need more nation wide secret service police powers?  

What is "an offense against the United States"? What are "reasonable grounds"?

For certain though when there is a protest or staged event anywhere in the US the Prez can call it a "special event of national significance." and use the secret service directly to bust heads - without warrant, due process and without strong arming the local police.

Or are (were) we supposed to stop asking "why" or look at the governments acts with a skepticle eye?  I know some have.  I 've not.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 11:23:02 AM by Westy »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »
Westy,

It is spelled out as they are making a new section of the same agency. Since it is an agency of the Federal Govt. is has to be spelled out. If powers are not specified, the agency does not have any.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
I bet if westy looked outside the window right now there would be a world going on by without him :noid

hehe just razzin ya westy :aok

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 11:50:54 AM »
Maverick it's no secret I don't like the US government these days and I when I see provisions like these I can't help but see it as an ominious change and another example of more government control being put in place.   Especially one that appears to me to be deliberately ambiguous, easily abusable and readily available to stifle free speach and personal liberties like none other before.

Yeager?  You like YES so you can't be all that bad.  :)

Later OT denizens.   Browsing the OT has developed into a bad habit.  Getting a bit worked up arguing an opinion or a point here and there thinking it makes a difference is really idiotic.  My mind isn't going to change and niether will those of the people I'm having any discource with.   Be seeing you if TOD/CT ever comes around...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are :D

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »
Mav,
On the surface that doesn't make sense.

Either they already had the power and it doesn't need to be spelled out, or they never had it, and now they do?

Which is it?

As I read it, it is not so much of a new agency, but a division within an already established agency.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:30:03 PM by Stringer »

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »
Kind of like this "offense against the United States".

And some dont understand why many of us fear a strong executive branch form of government :)

http://www.dailyrepublican.com/clintoninsulted.html

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 01:28:32 PM »
Oh yes the big bad evil patriot act.  SHIVVERR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
Stringer,

Any change in a limited organization like the Secret Service has to be spelled out., If powers are not deliniated they have no authority. Congress, through the law being enacted to mandate or allow the change is the source of their authority for police powers. The Secret Service has a limited mandate and enforcement charter granted as a segment of the Treasure Department. Their original mission was concerned with counterfieting. Presidential security was a mission added later.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act Redux
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 02:46:46 PM »
i don't understand, the govt is now going to start arresting felons?