Author Topic: F4U vs. F6F  (Read 14436 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« on: March 19, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
I'm not entirely sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I've been wondering for a while.. which aircraft IS better in real life? the Hellcat or the Corsair (in terms of firepower, ammo, armor, range, climb etc.)?

thanks
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
I think they are pretty much a draw. The F4U was used many years after the F6F was gone, so maybe that is an indication of the better aircraft, then again maybe not.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »
my money is on the corsair, it is faster and has better range. i think it is also slightly more meneuverable than the hellcat.

Offline the Lazy ace

• Zinc Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »
i dont think any1 1 really knows though the hellcat shot down 5/6 of jap kills

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »
that is because the hellcat was designed specifically to combat japanese aircraft and because there were so many of them. you are also failing to put into account the kill ratio rather than the total kills. IIRC the corsair had a higher (highest?) kill ratio than the hellcat.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:43:33 PM »
Originally posted by SMIDSY
my money is on the corsair, it is faster and has better range. i think it is also slightly more meneuverable than the hellcat.

Let's look at the F4U-1D vs the F6F-5. Speeds were different by only about 8 mph... Both have similar ranges, with the F6F-5 having slightly greater internal fuel capacity, but a bit more drag.

Maneuverability is very subjective. There is no doubt that the F6F would handily turn inside the F4U. However, the F4U had a faster roll rate.

If you examine kill to loss ratios during the war, you will find that the F6F did notably better than the F4U did.

You can download and read a TAIC flight test report comparing the the F6F and F4U against the A6M5 from my server here. You'll need Adobe Reader to open the file.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 05:54:34 PM »
wow..thats a spicey meat-a-ball! thnx fer the charts widewing. but i was wondering about the F6F-5 in comparison with the F4U-4. but the stuff u gave me will be invaluable in the future, im sure
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:56:33 PM »
Peronally Id say that the later F4Us like for example the F4U-4 where better then any of the planes in the F6F series.

But that really doesnt matter imho because the F6F was way way more important to the victory in the pacific then any other navy fighter, propably most important fighter overall.

So F6F was the more important plane which contributed much more to the war effort but the late F4Us where better.

Tex

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »
You know i was thinking of this exact question.  I was going to post it but i see someone beat me to it.

The other question i was going to post.  What plane had the biggest impact in WW2.  Was it the Pony or my favorite the Jug?  The 38 seem well rounded, and the hellcat had alot of success in the pacific theater.   I know all had its + and -.  But really out of all the american planes what had the biggest roll in the Allied Success.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
i still say the corsair is better.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
The question is really incompelte, its like asking whats better a can opener or a corkscrew....it all depends what you want to do with them.

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »
In AH the the F4U will win ... all things being equal.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 06:49:15 PM »
ok Alf, i guess i shud elaborate then. i really mean which of the 2 perform better overall, even if one considers that both pilots are experts at flying their planes. but hey.. if every1 else was able to answer thie question, hows it incomplete? lol
I am a Spitdweeb

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
no, alf is right. like i said before, the hellcat was designed purely to combat japanese fighters. whereas the corsair was designed as a general naval fighter.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
F4U vs. F6F
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »
Corsairs, of course.

Chicks dig gullwings.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19