Author Topic: "Cloning Must Go....."  (Read 1105 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2001, 05:37:00 AM »
The problem with cloning at the moment is the huge number of tries needed to actually succeed.

Dolly the sheep took 247 tries, and even then she's far too big compared to other sheep of the same race.

The cloning methodology hasn't changed - the results will be the same.

I'm with the mainstream scientists here - safety concerns alone is enough to postpone human cloning for some years. I won't go into the ethical/moral debate yet, as there is no need to (safety make them needless).

What we have are a couple of guys wanting to be immortal by cloning the first human. Thirst for glory. A common factor that has lead men and women astray in the past.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta:
The problem with cloning at the moment is the huge number of tries needed to actually succeed.

Dolly the sheep took 247 tries, and even then she's far too big compared to other sheep of the same race.

The cloning methodology hasn't changed - the results will be the same.

I'm with the mainstream scientists here - safety concerns alone is enough to postpone human cloning for some years. I won't go into the ethical/moral debate yet, as there is no need to (safety make them needless).

What we have are a couple of guys wanting to be immortal by cloning the first human. Thirst for glory. A common factor that has lead men and women astray in the past.

very scary when I start agreeing with StSanta  :)

let me rephrase "self serving for a select few"

right now it's the Italian "doctor" who wants to be first...

if/when they get it right, it'll be the Hollywood/Bill Gates types as they will be the only ones who can afford it. Image half a dozen Alec Baldwins running around the place, that's enough for me to scrape the whole idea  :)

pssst - Dowding, my English liberal friend, ur wrong about that one bud  = "no god", bet u a Curly Wurly  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2001, 06:44:00 AM »
ppssst eagler ... your god might not be his .. nor mine .. nore anyone elses  it's your belife and telling him his is wrong has been done before just read back in your history books

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2001, 07:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Duckwing6:
ppssst eagler ... your god might not be his .. nor mine .. nore anyone elses  it's your belife and telling him his is wrong has been done before just read back in your history books

Dwing, I'll bet you too, prob is I won't be there to collect when you find out  :)

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2001, 07:54:00 AM »
We're already over-populating the planet, why in the hell would we want to do it at an even faster rate?
-SW

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
We're already over-populating the planet, why in the hell would we want to do it at an even faster rate?
-SW

Yep and it seems to be the same group who are screaming to keep their "right to choose" that now want this as a viable option of reproduction....go figure. Can't say I'm not curious about the whole thing, just wonder if the public will even beware of the the "almost" clones or are they just gonna be quietly flushed away ....

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:

let me rephrase "self serving for a select few"

right now it's the Italian "doctor" who wants to be first...

if/when they get it right, it'll be the Hollywood/Bill Gates types as they will be the only ones who can afford it. Image half a dozen Alec Baldwins running around the place, that's enough for me to scrape the whole idea   :)
Ok the Italian Dr., Hollywood, Bill Gates, Is this not someone/group?
Whether it is or is not that does not invalidate my question. (sorry for the caps).  I actually thought about this after I posted.  I could not come up with anything mankind has done that was not self-serving, can you?  :)  Yes, I am being argumentative and stirring the pot.  :)
  Think of the multitudes that have died in the name of progress over the span of mankind's run on this earth. (Heck just look at the automobile and the carnage it continues to wreak).  In truth I have not "come down" on either side of the issue yet (cloning) but I sure would like to see the genealogist's get the cancer gene isolated and be able to "fix" that problem in afflicted fetus.

pssst - Dowding, my English liberal friend, ur wrong about that one bud  = "no god", bet u a Curly Wurly   :)

Agree with this one, now if we could just get rid if religion.  :D
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:

Yep and it seems to be the same group who are screaming to keep their "right to choose" that now want this as a viable option of reproduction....go figure. Can't say I'm not curious about the whole thing, just wonder if the public will even beware of the the "almost" clones or are they just gonna be quietly flushed away ....

That's because you insist on seeing pro-choice as pro-abortion. These are not the same thing.
sand

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
Leave the "pro-choice"/"Pro-life" thing out of it. Leave your God out of it. Leave your religion out of it.

Lets deal with it as it is.. a genetical engineering science.

What are the pros? What are the cons?

Do you approve of genetical engineering (cloning) on animals?

If you do, then you have no room to be against it for humans.

Me? I think dickin' around with nature is going to f*ck us all in the end.

But that's just me.
-SW

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
Leave the "pro-choice"/"Pro-life" thing out of it. Leave your God out of it. Leave your religion out of it.

Lets deal with it as it is.. a genetical engineering science.

What are the pros? What are the cons?

Do you approve of genetical engineering (cloning) on animals?

If you do, then you have no room to be against it for humans.

But that's just me.
-SW

Don't quite get this one..

It's all about life, which if one beliefs in God, is the same thing.

I can eat beef from a mentally retarded cow, don't think a cloning "oops" who is born short a full load is the same thing.

Agree with messing with mo nature, big mistake - if not now, it'll be later..

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »

That all "dickin' around with nature" started when we harnessed a horse and plowed the medow instead of scavenging for fallen fruit, roots and berries. Who knew.
 Should have also thought twice about screwing around with that fire thingy...

Beer was a good invention though. Some say the wheel is more important, but wheel with salted fish is not as satisfying...   ;)

miko

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by miko2d:
That all "dickin' around with nature" started when we harnessed a horse and plowed the medow instead of scavenging for fallen fruit, roots and berries. Who knew.
 Should have also thought twice about screwing around with that fire thingy...

Beer was a good invention though. Some say the wheel is more important, but wheel with salted fish is not as satisfying...    ;)

Perfect example of going to the extremes.

Nevermind, not worth arguing with someone who will go to extremes to prove something.

Eagler: Too many religions, they all go against each other.. what's the point of using one as a stepping stone?
-SW

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by SwampRat:
Unfortunately?  Oh you are just SICK!!
Swamp
   :mad:

Didn't you see that smiley face thingy at the end of the paragraph? It's called sarcasm - the meaning is opposite to the literal statement.

Seriously, clone so charmingly cute and lovable personality as Clinton and raise him as a moral upstanding citizen, preferably republican.
 Then he probably would not want to be a president, though...
 If he did, we would not have those presidential scandals anymore.
 Did I have sex with that intern in the Oval Office?
 It depends on the definition what "I" is.

;)   ;)   ;)

miko

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Perfect example of going to the extremes.

Nevermind, not worth arguing with someone who will go to extremes to prove something.

Seriously, I dislike the idea of cloning as much as I dislike the idea of violence or waste.
 But I dislike even more when the state bureacracy gets involved in decision what is good for us.

If I had some God-like miraculous and innoticeable way to make cloning research impossible without state intervention, I would do it.

But then I would also make impossible any medical research outside straight surgery/traumatology.
 I believe in natural selection/God's will as a way to have healthy humans.

I perceive the human progress in acquiring knowlege as just another law of nature. There is nothing that could be done about it. We would better spend our energy discussing/arguing how we live with it.

miko

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
"Cloning Must Go....."
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
I SAY WE CLONE ALL THE GUYS AT HTC SO THEY GET 1.08 DONE FASTER :)