Author Topic: Clinton flips the bill for White House Vandalism?  (Read 809 times)

BMF

Clinton flips the bill for White House Vandalism?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2001, 10:54:00 PM »
In a way I agree, Kieren. In another way I disagree. The affect a President has on the economy is not seen for some few years. As I see it the economy slowed with the onset of the Clinton years. When he failed to do ANYTHING about ANYTHING, and for eight years not four, we get left with what we have today. Whatever the effect is it cannot be immediate. I do not think it is a good time to up the going rates for Aces High.

------------------
Bare*Metal*Finish

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2001, 11:27:00 PM »
Chrysler is laying off 26,000 people and they won't be the last.

Let's see, Bush has been in office about a week...must be his fault!

LOL
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
Kieren, I did not wish to indicate that it's all in the hands of the presidents.

But, at least here, the more our government spends, the more it has to borrow, and the more indebted it becomes.

So, looking at state spendings (and compensating for inflation), didn't US debts grow more partially for this reason?

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
Toad - don't get prematurely defensive here. Yer bracing for it, and that's understandable. But yer missing out on a fundamental part of human nature here.

People look down, and they see thier shrinking paycheck... Then they look up and see Bush. Then they look back down and see some abandoned dog peeing on thier ankle... then they look back up and see Bush.

See? If you think people fully understand the government's role in economics, then you overestimate Joe Public.

Hell, Joe Public voted *Bush* into the White House, of all things. That right there says it all. So don't expect those folks to be exactly discerning in thier wrath when, in the middle of the night, their dot com portfolio goes tits up.

Just yankin' yer chain a bit.

[This message has been edited by Nash (edited 01-30-2001).]

BMF

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2001, 03:03:00 AM »
It is a good time for acquisitions if you can stand a few losses.  

------------------
Bare*Metal*Finish

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Karnak:
Try this:
Carter got stuck with Nixon/Ford's mess and failed to clean it up.
Reagan/Bush made the situation worse.
Clinton turned the situation around.
Bush will probably scew it up.

Looks to me like the only slight success was Clinton (unless you're rich, in which case Reagan was a success as well)

Conservatives screw it up and then the Liberals have to fix it.

Karnak, either you don't study history, or the left wing conspiracy is brainwashing you...Carter slashed the military to the point where he actually made a state of the union address where he admitted that he'd gone to far in cuts (You can find a script of this in the National Archieves I believe)...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
Nash
this is scary, I agree with you. Joe six pack doesn't know economics from quantum physics. They will blame Bush, as will the media, for the economic downturn just as they praised Clinton for it's growth. Truth be told, a country's economic oscillations are years in the making. Clinton rode on Reagan/Bush's efforts/policies and now Bush Jr has the pleasure of riding on Clinton's. Taking major industries to court (tobacco) or trying to break up the company that has helped the computer industry the most (MS), does not make an economy grow.... tax breaks for major industry, tax reduction all around and government getting the hell out of the way does.

Time will tell if Bush/Greenspan can slow/stop/reverse this downward slide.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
Karnak, why on earth do you have your computer on!?!?!?  Don't ya know there is a power shortage in CA!!!  You need to do your part and shut down your electrical stuff!!  Use only battery(don't use rechargeable batteries though)devices!!!  There may be people in iron lungs that need that electrical power!!!

Save the Whales, save the forests, save the environment,heheee save us from your comments    

j/k on that last one  

I am an advocate for using all the power I can here in the mid-west so it can't be sold to CA.  Have all my lights on 24 hrs a day   Have windows open in dead of winter to burn as much natural gas as possible so it can't be sold to CA to generate power  

Too bad CA doesn't have winters like we have in the mid-west.  I hope you all in CA are all over your lib politicians as they are the ones who made it possible to burn candles as reading lights  

Bush has the right idea. Fix it yourself ya got yourself in this mess, you fix it!!!!

Ya just gotta love common sense!!!

There must be some funny webb sites out there showing how CA could address their power shortage.  Anyone find any?

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 01-30-2001).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
Nash,

A little searching on your part will show you my posts in here that made my position on the economy clear.

Way back when the Clintonians around here were touting his superb economic policies and his excellent economy, I pointed out that the Prez actually has little to do with all of that. Be he Democrat or Republican, he is to a large degree just along for the ride.

In short, it's extremely rare when the good times and the bad times can be solely credited to the Office of the President.

However the "Bash Bush" for the economy movement has already started and you can find evidence of THAT on this BBS as well.

Just read in the paper today that last years 3rd and 4th QTR results are just now really being evaluted as they are tabulated. The stats say things are bad and likely to get worse.

Shall we blame Bush? Shall we blame Clinton?

Neither. Market forces are a tad more complex than that.

I've never changed this opinion. There are old posts here that show it, too.

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-30-2001).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!