Author Topic: Flyboys, written by James Bradley  (Read 204 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Flyboys, written by James Bradley
« on: April 02, 2006, 10:51:04 PM »
Has anyone read this amazing book about the US pilots from WWII?

It has an amazing shocking secret that was kept quiet by the Allies for over 60 years.  Goes into details about the pilots that were lost and then captured on Japanese occupied islands during the war.

Amazing read. Even has George seniors account when he was shot down over ChiChi Jima - that was an another great story.

I won't tell you what the secret is, but I am absolutely horrified by it. As a former soldier, and Gulf War vet, I'm glad our allied forces had common decency and strict etiquette with sensible democratic philosophies behind us.

Some of the stories give me the chills.

Anyone else read this book?

ISBN: 0-316-10728-X
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:07:33 PM »
yes, many of us have - many threads about it already..

Bradley's agenda seemed to overshadow the canabalism of the japanese

seemed to me he was trying to justify it comparing America's treatment to the Indians and her conquest of the West  to the Japs mindset & thier  treatment of it's POWs a hundred years later ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »
I am pretty sure we didn't EAT the indians we captured...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I am pretty sure we didn't EAT the indians we captured...

no we just massacre them ..

according to the book we collected their ears, made hats and clothing from their skin..

did you read the book?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:27:24 PM »
I read it. I think Bradley went overboard on the intro.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 11:30:50 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
no we just massacre them ..

according to the book we collected their ears, made hats and clothing from their skin..

did you read the book?

I think I did, but I read a lot of stuff.  I knew about the ear collection, did not know about the hat and clothes from indian skin.  That is some pretty sick stuff, did it really happen?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:38 PM »
Probably.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:23:43 AM »
Go to the Nazis as well. They made Cigarette cases from human skin.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:47 AM »
That was the last book I read.  Took me awhile to get through the first 200 pages but the payoff is at the end.  I did think Bradley had an agenda at first, that's the way I read it too, but the end really balances it out, at least to me.  I did research on the American soldiers' behavior in the Philippines at the turn of the century and that is pretty much accurate too.  Good read though.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo