Author Topic: Exploding 40mm paperweight  (Read 661 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Exploding 40mm paperweight
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 12:59:39 PM »
Even the firing cap is powerful enough to cause serious damage in most cases.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »
Many years ago I was stationed in Germany. On a "camp out" at Graphenwher .sp a friend and I dug up a dozen or so  rifle grenades. Most were rusted through but four or five were not in too bad a shape.

My friend wanted to keep those as souvenirs. They spilled out of his duffel when we got back to our base when his duffel was tossed out the back of a duece and a half. The SFC saw them, cleared the area and called the ordinance people who moved them out in a field and packed C4 and sandbags around them and blew them up.

I don't think the Privates bellybutton is right yet.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 01:27:16 PM »
I had an old neighborhood friend who at the age of 18, went with another friend out to the live fire impact range on fort lewis....apparently to look for cool military stuff that they could play with and harness the energy.  They found it.  My old friend found two 40mm grenades that had failed to detonate.  He, apparently, placed both rounds into a coat pocket and at some point attemtped to cross a small ravine out on the range by jumping across it.  When he landed on the other side, the jarring that occured by landing on the other side of the ravine did detonate both grenades simultaneoulsy.

He died insantly.

Was back in about 1978...maybe 79........made the evening news with Dan Rather.  Was pretty pathetic. The kid had a dad in the army and was infatuated with all things that went "boom"

Play with fire and you will get burned eventually.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
Yeager I remember that episode...

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »
back in '87 I was at N.T.C at ft Irwin after our excercises in the desert we had to 'police call' the desert (oh what fun!):rolleyes:  I did find 2 live (not fired,no fuses)105mm HE  artillery shells with powder charges,you shoud have seen the look on the NCOIC's face when I turned them In!,I was in Artillery so was not worried but the NCO was a supply guy and just went pale:lol

PS I still wonder how the Battery that lost them got by with it,we lost a xtra M60 barrel once and had to dig up every foxhole we dug in the last 4 days.:rofl
LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »
UXO is not to be toyed with.

Plenty of opportunities to find old ordnance around here.

http://www.uxoinfo.com/

Oh... and if you find one of these, don't touch it. Get the hell away from it... quietly.

sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 10:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by wojo71
back in '87 I was at N.T.C at ft Irwin after our excercises in the desert we had to 'police call' the desert (oh what fun!):rolleyes:  I did find 2 live (not fired,no fuses)105mm HE  artillery shells with powder charges,you shoud have seen the look on the NCOIC's face when I turned them In!,I was in Artillery so was not worried but the NCO was a supply guy and just went pale:lol

PS I still wonder how the Battery that lost them got by with it,we lost a xtra M60 barrel once and had to dig up every foxhole we dug in the last 4 days.:rofl

one time we lost a tripod to a .50 cal because the field we were firing in caught on fire.  Somone grabbed the reciever and the barrol but neglected the tripod and his flack vest......somthing about chest high flames preventing him.....anyhow.  Fire burned out in a couple of days we had to hump back to that deffensive position wich was about 15-20 miles away from garrison camp.  We found the .50cal tripod right where it was left....spent the night and marched back the next day.  The Private had to pay the corps back for the flack vest though.  Big Green Weenie all the way.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 01:51:39 AM »
are many FIBUA training areas called regansberg or just the one in Lewis?

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
The one on Lewis is the only one I know of.