Author Topic: Dweebs on the runway  (Read 3790 times)

JFalk

Dweebs on the runway
« on: March 19, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
I dont know if its been posted before, I hear there may be a fix for this soon but tonight I along with wiley dropped troops on a airfield.  The cap was doing as best they good but 1 single plane managed to kill all of our troops by sitting on the runway and spraying them. The cap must have killed this guy 5 times, he would respawn in a plane and just shoot all the paratroopers, die, and repeat the process.

Can we have a timer that would prevent a player from instantly respawning from the same airfield. Make it that if you die within 4 mins of takeoff you have to wait 4 minutes before you can grab a plane at that field, this way we wont have dweebs pulling this stuff.  Thanks for your time

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2000, 11:31:00 PM »
Oh oh, this can o' worms  

this one polarises the communtiy.

"DING DING, Round 1..."

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula

"...perfect for serving"

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 03-20-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2000, 11:34:00 PM »
Wait until new version comes out.  This is why:

In:

Aces High BB\News, Announcements, & Information\News about version 1.02

Pyro said:

People have been wondering how vehicles will be added into the game, so here's a brief description. Vehicles are not AI controlled. You can drive a vehicle just as you would fly a plane. You can also take a gunner if applicable. Vehicles will be available from special vehicle depots strategically located around the map as well as from airfields. At airfields, aircraft and vehicles will start from different locations which can be attacked to disable launching from there.

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 03-19-2000).]

funked

Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2000, 02:31:00 AM »
Hallelujah!  Maybe these lamers will go back to Quake now.  

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2000, 05:45:00 AM »
Heaven forbid that poor fellow for defending his base, maybe he'll learn his lesson and leave his bases vunerable from now on.  I was known for not giving up till the very end.  Whether it be 20 vulchers or 1, I'd strafe the troops down till the bitter end.  That 4 minute suggestion would kill a team that only has 2-3 members in the off-hours.  Vulching should be synchronized with the drop to provent this vulching of the troops, plus the C47 should LAND as close to the maproom as possible.  I found that there is no minumun altitude to drop the troops.  I've dropped them on the ground at 200mph and still got the base.  Ground vehicles will work both ways.  Sure you can kill the planes as they pop up if you bring a half-track in, but couldn't the defending team also bring one in to kill the vulchers and troops?  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2000, 07:05:00 AM »
Man! What is a defending base supposed to do under the current system? Kindly vacate the base because the bad guys have shown up? Blaming players for mounting the only possible defense under the circumstances (in some cases) is a little silly.  

As MarkV noted, if the CAP is making a circular run on the spawn point no launch is possible. Then you don't have to worry about the runway strafer.

funked

Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2000, 07:50:00 AM »
Justifying unrealistic defensive tactics by pointing out unrealistic offensive tactics does not make any sense to me.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
OK Funked exactly what is a base defender supposed to do?

Instead of telling us how lame we are how about telling us a realistic way we can defend a base in here using the game that we have.

Flying from another base is not always an option so what is your words of wisdom Oh great and mighty Non-quake playing non-vulching non-troop strafing guru of the skies?

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »
Your vulch was not tight enough. Your drop was not executed well enough... Let him up and lead him a way a little...

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2000, 08:46:00 AM »
 Bingo Pongo!   Got be smarter than yer average rabbit. Let em out of the hole and then drag em ...away  

-Westy

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2000, 08:55:00 AM »
Funked-

Not saying it is realistic, I'm saying it is the only possible defense in some situations. Give me an alternative solution to defending an isolated field, and I will understand your point of view.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Sorry guys, but I gotta agree with Funked here.

Comments like "You not vulching right", "you should lead him away" and all the others are ok if you just want to play a shoot em up game.

But if we are at least trying to play a "WWII Air Combat Simulation", Funks comments are right on.

Justifying unrealistic defensive tactics by pointing out unrealistic offensive tactics does not make any sense to me.

They're both crap.

Defense is fine, do your best to defend.

But unlimited aircraft, with unlimited pilot lives, and no aircraft degradation from loss of fuel/ammo/maintenance facilities is about as "Asteroids" as it gets (I won't use Quake in deference to the actual Quake players here).

The really scary part is that people are starting to justify and worse actually believe that gaming the game is the right way to do things.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets"

Belgar-

Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
I like to see the closed base not being able to launch idea......and if Pyro is stating that them all well and good......if a defence force before the attacking force is executed then they have served there purpose, but if a attacking force twarts the defences of the opposite side then if the attacking force have taken those steps to allow to take the base (ie) close base, knocking out all fuels,tower and ack for example then that rolling quaker in his tri-wheel P38 shouldnt be allowed to take off or roll along the runway strafing the ground troops going for capture......guess i like the brand W better and like to see it here as it alot better way to work together as a team to capture enemy bases by using arrange of different aircraft.

------------------
Belgar
617sqdn Dambusters(Warbirds)
Tangmere Wing

[This message has been edited by Belgar- (edited 03-20-2000).]

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
Vultching troops being dropped on your base is no big deal and should be expected.  I would do it all the time.

Planting your plane on the runway or driving it around the base and "strafing" from an altitude of zero feet is dweebish and totally different from true strafing.

Also included as dweebish is planting your plane at the spawn point and shooting any enemy that appears in an attempt to "close" the base.

Also included as dweebish is spawning a C47 at a base under attack and sitting there dropping load after load of troops to either reset the counter of troops already entered, or hopefully immediately capture back a base in about 1 second.

Just because I think these are dweebish does not mean everyone else will.  These are just things I will never do.

To get back on topic, to defend your base:

1) Try to take off from the field being vultched.

2) Try to hunt down any 47s en-route...get them before they drop.

3) Fly from a nearby field to engage the vultures or shoot the troops.

4) Try a little teamwork so you are not doing it on your own.  If you have to do it on your own then the base should be lost due to superior numbers.

Like I said these are all imho, I would not expect anyone else to agree.

Fury

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Dweebs on the runway
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
Let's not confuse what we wish it was like with the reality.

I don't want to get vultched incessantly, but will endure it to save a field. Failure to do so is tantamount to giving up. This is what is not being explained by anyone; what other choice is there for an isolated base?

If everytime 5 cons roll up on a field with ack suppressed we all ignored the base, yes, there would be no endless spawning, and the capture could occur uninterrupted. But where is the game then? If we have to willingly surrender any base that has dead ack and is not a quick flight from a friendly base, where is the game?

So now, imagine in our 3-country setup 2 big sides jump the small side. Down to 3 bases, should the low side's pilots just sit in the tower? This seems to be the thought, and I can't fathom it.

All this is soon to be moot with the advent of vehicles and destroyable spawn points. I am for closable fields, make no doubt about it, but as long as I can launch, I will. I am not about to sit in the tower and watch the arena become the playground of the other 2 sides.  

Again, this is not what I wish was, it's what is.