Author Topic: Plane Visibility  (Read 601 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »
OK so I'm over 50, wear glasses and sometimes have a hard time distinguishing planes from terrain down on the deck...especially if I'm in a higher plane.

I run AH @ 1280x1024, have all three visibility sliders pushed over to the left side, maybe 1/2" from maximum and get 70ish frame rate unless I'm down on the deck in a furball.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my "vision"?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »
Increase gamma in the graphical setup ingame. This will brighten the picture a bit and planes will looks less like black shadows.

Also increase the contrast in your screen settings.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 05:06:13 PM »
Run a lower resolution. The planes will be bigger.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Plane Visibility
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 06:20:30 PM »
Max,

I'm over 40 yet still have excellent vision.  I can't see squat against the ground most times, but during the dawn and dusk periods it's really bad.  Bozon is right on the money.  Upping the gamma setting will help a lot.  You just need to find the right balance so you can see targets in the trees, but the colors aren't washed out.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
Run a lower resolution. The planes will be bigger.

That is not entirely true. It will work if the planes are as small as possible - a black dot. In that case the dot will be bigger and easier to spot. But in short distances lowering the resolution will not make the planes look bigger - only chunkier and you will not be able to tell their orientation very well.

I just got a new machine and upped my resolution to 1200x1000 from 1000x700 on my old PIII-1GHz (not to mention going from 15-25 fps to pegged 75). The difference in being able to tell the other plane's orientation is significant.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Plane Visibility
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:57:10 AM »
I have to agree with Mosq.

I used to run 800x600 because I pretty much had to in order to fly.

My new system will crank it all the way up, but I'm still more comfortable flying at lower resolutions. The planes ARE bigger, and easier to hit as a result.

As to orientation, I can only agree to a point.

I can see that there could be a point where you would have an edge out past 600-800 yards. Where the lower res drops detail that the higher res gives you.

But I don't think thats max's problem.

Max shoot me an email, or yell at me if you see me. We'll set up a time to do some testing. Maybe see if we can get you seeing & hitting better.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the helpfull tips Gents. I tried them all yesterday and found that turning up the contrast about 20% combined with lowering my screen resolution  to 800x600 did help. I've always kicked my in-game gamma up a little during dawn/dusk.

Overall the lower resolution does make the nme aircraft larger and landing ammo on target was definately easier. Is there a way to reduce the size of the text window and the text size? It's huge now compared to 1280 x 1024 but I can learn to live with it if need be.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »
Max, 49 years old here.  I used the game's "zoom" function liberally.

I've not flown much in the past couple of years, but here's how i had it set up . . .

in fact as i try to recollect, i used the "z" key and the "[" and "]" keys right off the keyboard.  and i did not find doing so bothersome.

i bought an x-52 and flew with it for a month and i might have used a stick function to zoom in and out.

hap

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:07:52 AM »
After reading this thread I thought I would try adjusting the gamma to help in seeing low flying airplanes. But I can't seem to find the right menu. Can someone please let me know where I can find the correct menu to make a gamma adjustment.  thanks
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 10:45:43 AM »
Bring up the clipboard > SETUP > VIDEO > VIDEO SETTINGS. You'll see the gamma slider there. Grab with with your cursor and slide it right a bit.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Plane Visibility
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »
Hell, i'm in my 20's and I can;t see squat against the deck when it's dawn or dusk.  AH has always been kind of dark, even at mid day, but when it's morning or evening, escpecially when your foe is low over the water, it's damn hard to see them.