Author Topic: Long ago in warbirds....  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2006, 10:31:33 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin

How many people do you know that have played for more than say..3 years?  I only know a handful.  

Wow...increase your circle of AH friends.  Quite a bit of us have been here in AH for 3+ years and some have been playing these games for 10+ years.  And I'd say that we're in the majority too.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Meshak

• Zinc Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

ACM is rapidly becoming, if not already, a lost art.  In my opinion, a more formal training program like the old AW Acadamy would be far more beneficial.

ack-ack [/B]

Woot yeah!   I would sign up in a heartbeat.   Please bring it on.

Spec4462

Offline smash

• Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 06:01:11 PM »
Interesting coming back from a 3 year hiatus.... many of the subjects are exactly the same.  Its frightening to some extent.

I liked the introduction-year based RPS in WB... but that puts me in the minority.  I would be curious to see the usage statistics from when that was in place, but my guess would be that it dropped significantly during the early war period.

I almost exclusively fly the P40E (and not particularly well especially at the moment).  'Course the E is not truly non-Uber... but you get the drift.  I relish the more realistic encounters with the enema... and there are enough of those to at least keep it interesting.  Not saying that 38L meat doesn't taste good over the grill.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »
Splitting the arena is one of the best ideas.  There is enough to go around.  People who do not care for the competitive gameplay will stay in the original arena.  

Those who are a bit more competitive will joust in the RPS arena.

The numbers are about even and game play would increase for both types of virtual pilots.

There, that was easy.......

Next!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Souless

• Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Personally I am all for  slight perk on late model war planes.
Secondly this isnt air warrior I personally could care a less what they did there.
A rolling plane set would not change the current MA environment, people will still fly the way they want to.
However perking the late model war rides would result in a situation where people say "if im paying I'm flying it"
Maybe we should all consider "earning" a late model ride.By this I mean we all have our favourite late model plane.
Perhaps so many points are needed for the next plane and so many more needed for the next etc.Tie this in to kills, deaths, collisions, where positive and negative points could be applied.
I dont know im just throwing this out there. I do agree the MA needs to stop stagnating.

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 08:17:08 PM »
Hopefully, CT will be out soon.
 Maybe in the meantime have a ( bucket of water by side to put out the flames) RR arena.
 Harden everything in the MA some and/or cut down on resupply requirements.  make it easier to pork in the RR arena.
 Shut off stalls and redout in RR ?
 That should thin out the MA after a couple of months.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »
I'd like to see HTC have a test arena where they experiment with setups like this.

~AoM~

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2006, 05:30:04 AM »
Originally posted by smash

I liked the introduction-year based RPS in WB... but that puts me in the minority.  I would be curious to see the usage statistics from when that was in place, but my guess would be that it dropped significantly during the early war period.

I agree smash, that was my impression at WB.  First few days were sparsely populated.  Last day you couldn't move for swarms of 262s!

That notwithstanding I like the idea of RPS but HTC aren't going to introduce it to cater for the interests of the EW model crowd if they loose customers as a result (sadly).

BTW quite a few posts above talk about Tempest, La7, Spit xvi in one breath as late war planes.  Check the dates, Spit xvi was introduced way before.  It might be "uber" but it's not a "late war monster".

Regards:)
Whisky

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »
Originally posted by eh
Maybe the solution lies in modifying a feature in Air Warrior. In that game, there were always complaints about the number of Spits being flown in some of the arenas, but you could disable the enemy's Spit factories so that none were available to them. It took a lot of ordinance to do it, so some of the best battles took place over those factories which had to be bombed several times in a coordinated effort.

So here is my suggestion: take the most popular unperked late war rides, locate the factories to produce them deep inside each country's territories, and have at it. Want to eliminate the La7 for the enemy? Blow up the La-7 factories (no need to capture them, just blow em up. Make them stay down for a few hours, but make them very hard to destroy).

Another idea taken from AW. Once fuel gets down below a certain percent, make it unusable except for German rides, which could run on lower quality gas.

Another idea (my own rant). Make HQ indestructable. It's a real pain in the butt to lose radar when you have inferior numbers and are being creamed by a horde  for hours. Radar should be available in the Main to all sides at all times, especially for those at a large numerical disadvantage.

I was thinking of this too. I think it's a good idea. Another idea would be to have certain hangars on every field dedicated to certain planes. So, if you bomb the right hangar on the big pad for example, the enemy loses the late war fighters. They could still up fighters as long as they have a hangar up, but they might not be the late war favorites. The hangars could house planes from different war years, say 41-42, 42-43, 43-44, 44-45.

If someone wants to up a certain plane, he might have to go to his nearest friendly field where they are still available. Otherwise, he'll have to take whatever fighters are still available at that field. Since everyone would be trying to pork their nme's best fighters, things would stay pretty even in a given area.

The hangars don't stay down long enough to do much good anyway, so nobody would be put out for a great length of time, but you'd see a lot more of the early warbirds in the air on frequent occasions.
F4j

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »
the problem with killing late war fighters as a strat issue is obvious....  You will increase the horde mentality... no one wants to be on the side with no late war uber rides....

The side with the most numbers will also have all the sissy planes.

You will make it so that more, not less, sissy planes are up...  the thinking being... get em while you can.  Flying early war planes will be percieved as a punishment.

nope... you need to reward the behavior of flying early war planes...  Let's face it, they have a tough time in the arena so let's throw em a bone...

A fighter town area for only early war planes or.... a non AvA 3 chunk/era RPS based on performance.  

I have allways liked the early war area idea.   I think I brought it up a couple of years ago... it would reward people who liked to furball and people who liked early war planes by giving them a sissy plane free area to furball in.  It would keep out the B & Z girls who look at fighter town as a way to pad their K/D in their late war sissy rides.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2006, 09:07:40 AM »
Something along these lines would be nice. I might even be tempted to come back. I quit a few months ago due to the "gameplay" or lack thereof. Won't be back / pay until it improves. :(

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2006, 08:53:38 PM »
Don't like the idea of a rps.

Some poeple actually like to fly disadvantaged planes.

All I really fly are the ponies, though.  I will go on the deck, slow down and fight anyone. I don't care if I die, but I like to take on the turning planes and planes that I'm not *supposed* to be able to dogfight. I die all the time doing this.

If people like to fly the slow planes, then that's really a choice they make. Don't penalize other people with a limited planset just because you like to fly early war birds.

Maybe have a rps arena for those who like to keep things more on par. I'd bet that not a whole lot of people would be in that arena though, compaired to the main as it is.

For me, I like to just up in a pony and get to the fight quick, have fun for a couple hours, then log off. I don't care what anyone else flys.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
big... that may be the case.. your dad may have flown a pony in the war but...

I have never seen anyone fly one like you do in the pony... I have never seen you for that matter.   I would think that if you liked the pony you would like the P40 during an early stage of a RPS...  a whole lot of real pony drivers started out in P40's.

As for people who like to fly disadvantaged planes.... yes.. they exist.. I am one but.... these "people" would just as soon have a real fight or at least a semi fair one..  no matter what planesets were made... there would allways be better and worse planes to choose from....

the gap just wouldn't be allmost 100 mph.

lazs

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2006, 10:26:43 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
big... that may be the case.. your dad may have flown a pony in the war but...

I have never seen anyone fly one like you do in the pony... I have never seen you for that matter.   I would think that if you liked the pony you would like the P40 during an early stage of a RPS...  a whole lot of real pony drivers started out in P40's.

As for people who like to fly disadvantaged planes.... yes.. they exist.. I am one but.... these "people" would just as soon have a real fight or at least a semi fair one..  no matter what planesets were made... there would allways be better and worse planes to choose from....

the gap just wouldn't be allmost 100 mph.

lazs

I decided to fly an FM2 in fighter town today, instead of the pony.

I found that the FM2 is one of the easiest planes in the game to fly and survive in, in FT. You don't need speed when you can turn in a plane like the FM2.

In a massive furball, all you have to do is yank into a sharp turn at the first sign of danger, and the enemy will not be able to hit you 98% of the time. The FM2 is a freakin MONSTER.

I landed more kills in the FM2 than I ever did in a Pony.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »
great...  I would love to fight a lot more FM2's... most of the guys flying em are pretty sad.  

It is the most uber plane in the arena.  I had been trying to keep that a secret tho but now you have went and told everyone.  

I did get to fight you in the FT the other day for what had to be the first time.   Nice moves in the pony and you and the other guy were down low.   Course..... I was in the unbeatable FM2.

I expect all the uber plane peee 51 and lala and 16 guys will migrate toward the superior FM2 now.

I got Xdak out of his tifie and into one and he did very well too.

The secret is out....  Only the P40 remains as an undiscovered uberplane.

lazs