Author Topic: Comments on the 3 B Ponies needed...  (Read 653 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Comments on the 3 B Ponies needed...
« on: May 30, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »
Please comment on all of them...

Tex

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
Salute Tex,

Salem Rep is just outstanding.  I love it!  

Little Jeep seems to have something off with the font.  It seems too "airbrushed?"  Of course I am basing this off of the profile you posted in the other thread.  Do you happen to have an actual photo of Little Jeep?  I'd be curious to compare them side by side.  Also, and I know you have no control over this in your materials file becuase of the metal shiny'ness, but I believe the black tail paint should be more matte.  There was an excellent example of a good matte on an old 51 that was done (cant remember by whom.)  She had black lightning bolts on the wings though.  I though it was a perfect effect.  Wish I had the material file for her.

No reference of your 3rd ac that I could find in the forum.  She looks good IMO. However, nothing to critique it against :cry

Btw, I love your rivet layout.  No critique involved here.  Im curious of your source for the layout.  I have several layouts of them (to include old magazines) but they all seem different in one way or the other.  What was your reference?  Photos?

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »
Doh!  Just realized that those screenies are in the skin viewer.  Disregard the comment on the matte.  Im sure its more muted in your arena view.

That drives me crazy in the viewer :D

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
Problem with mixed metal and paint schemes is that its very hard to find a good ballance between metal shineyness and paint mateness. Either the metal looks dead or the paint like its from a toy.

The plane lines are painted of the default "The Old Crow" P-51B.

The "Little Jeep" text is a big pain in the butt as its painted of the markings I found on the modelling site. I will propably have to do that over again a few times to get it good but first I want feed back on what color it should be.

Tex

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:31:10 PM »
Rgr sir.  I agree with you on it be OD.  Any photos?

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »
I like Salem Rep, I think Jeep is unique enough (black tail and all) but I think the last one is pretty plain. It's not even got fuselage codes (come to think of it, neither does Jeep!), so it looks almost like an empty skin template.

That's my first series of impressions.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »
Originally posted by Lord ReDhAwK
....No reference of your 3rd ac that I could find in the forum.  She looks good IMO. However, nothing to critique it against :cry

Here ya go RedHawk. Fencer had posted some other pics with other planes having the "Black Pontiac" on the tail, but they are no longer showing up.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158780

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 09:49:15 PM »
Excellent Wolf.  I appreciate it :cool:

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 07:07:44 AM »
Krusty

Personally I really like the Black Pontiac... simply for the reason that its so clean... we dont have many clean skins and this applies to most planes..

But I also like it for another reason... both the Black Pontiac and the Little Jeep are 23rd FG planes and its fun to spread the skins out a bit.. atm the Pony skins are very ETO centric...

Tex

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 01:08:39 AM »
It's not without its subtle charm, just looks a little plain :)

The skinning work looks good, I was merely debating the choice. Pay no heed. Good work!

EDIT: P.S. Little Jeep needs a lot more subtle weathering on the black tail. Slight discolorations in tone, some flaking in a few key areas, and the like. It looks too clean (<-- personal opinion alert!)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 02:21:11 AM »
Both the Pontiac and Jeep need some ware and tare on the paint....

Salem Rep has that..

Question is just how much...

Do you know anything about the paint that was used on american planes in China? Was it same quality as the paint used in say the ETO?

Tex

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:26 AM »
Not I. Sorry. However, most images that come to mind aren't horribly worn down like Japanese planes, or anything. The US paint seemed hearty enough, as long as you kept it away from sandstorms, salt water, and the like.

Might want to get a better answer from somebody else here.