Author Topic: What is the best plane?  (Read 770 times)

Offline death-sas

• Zinc Member
What is the best plane?
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:05:27 PM »
Hi,

im new to the game and i was just wondering what the best plane for a dog fight is because ive tried a few but and i keep on gettin one with either good speed and rubbish fire power or good fire power and rubbish speed. So please could someone help!!!

Thanks death-sas

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:27:04 PM »
Fly the plane that feels comfortable to you then learn how to kill in that plane. Good luck, sir!  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
What is the best plane?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:06:02 PM »
Yea just find one you feel comfortable in. all you need is a gun and you can make them go boom. I suggest a KI84,FW190A5,FW190D9,Spitfire Mk16 or Mk8, C205,F4U's,A6M2 or 5b,Yak9U.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: What is the best plane?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »
Originally posted by death-sas
Hi,

im new to the game and i was just wondering what the best plane for a dog fight is because ive tried a few but and i keep on gettin one with either good speed and rubbish fire power or good fire power and rubbish speed. So please could someone help!!!

Thanks death-sas

First of all, expect a 3 - 6 month learning curve...your mileage may vary.

Based on your post, I'd suggest the Typhoon. It carries 560 rnds of Hispano cannon rounds between its 4 guns. Additionally it can carry either drop tanks for extended distance or 8 rockets or 2 bombs of 250, 500 or 1000 lb size.

The Typhoon is fast tho a few planes will match speed. The P-51D, P-51B, La7, Tempest, La5 come to mind. The Typhoon doesn't roll well and it bleeds energy like a pig in sustained flat turns. Once you get the hang of the guns, it will make mincemeat out of almost anything. Use drop tanks to get some altitude (15k+) cuz it's not a fast climber. Until you get the hang of flying it with drop tanks, drop 'em before engaging. Keep it fast (250 IAS+) and don't get suckered into low deck turnfiting. The key word is boom + zoom.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: What is the best plane?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:58:13 PM »
Originally posted by death-sas
Hi,

Thanks death-sas

What do you want to do with it? What kind of fight do you prefer?

There are many fighters that are best, depending on what you want to do.

There is no fighter that is just plain "best".
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
What is the best plane?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:57 AM »
Thats like asking which is the best tool, hammer or screwdriver.

Screwdriver sucks at driving nails. Hammer not so good at turning screws.

In my opinion, its hard to beat the spitfires for learning the basics.
No they are not the fastest, nor do they have the best guns. They are kind of a jack of all trades plane. They do everything moderately well.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 07:33:30 AM »
Dont focus on the plane....

Focus on YOUR skills...

The plane doesnt kill the enemy for you...

Its your skills that kill the enemy..

Learn to fly and you will be able to own virtually anyone in virtually anything...

There are a few planes that force you to use skill and when you are forced to use a skill it will develope...

The Yak9U has very low ammo so if you learn to kill 2-3 enemies per sortie in a Yak you will be able to kill 3-5 in any other plane...

The Yak9U also has good characteristics as it either out turns or out runs all planes in the lineup...

This makes the Yak9U a great trainer not only do you learn good gunnery and ammo conserving but you also learn alot about the other planes you face...

If you do want a plane that is a bit easier on the ammo you can go La5FN.

Planes you should stay out of because they tend to give you very bad habbits and prevent your skill development are:

Hurrie2c and A6M Zekke because they invite to flat turning and head on shots. If you fall into the bad habit of flat turns and HOs you will always be nothing but cannon fodder.

La7, Typhoon and 190D9 give you the "get home safe" card too easily and hence you dont learn to manouver your way out of bad situations. The Tiffy and Dora are so bad turners that you dont learn to manouver at all. The La7 while having great turn characteristics still is so fast that new pilots never need to bother. They also invte to HOing which also prevents your manouvering evolvement.

Tex

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:35:26 AM »
Just to stress how important pilot skills are...

A decent to good pilot in a Spit1 (one of the WORST planes in the game) can easily kill a avg pilot in a Spit16 (one of the BEST planes in the game)..

Think about it.

Tex

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 08:50:04 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Dont focus on the plane....
Focus on YOUR skills...

^
|
Best answer ever given to that kind of question.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 10:26:04 AM »
i think ghosth had a pretty good one as well.if youre gonna turn fight ...spit 5 or 9.if youre gonna bnz typhoon ,p-51b,la-7,yak 9u   and good luck.like the previous poster said expect a fairly lengthy time period to get youre feet wet and GO TO THE TRAINING ARENA AND ASK FOR A TRAINER they are excellent, patient and will definetly speed things up for you.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
F6F

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
Originally posted by Wadke
F6F

Large wing surface area dweeb! hee hee:D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
In my opinion, its hard to beat the spitfires for learning the basics.
No they are not the fastest, nor do they have the best guns. They are kind of a jack of all trades plane. They do everything moderately well.

Agreed, with the proviso that they do just about everything very well.

- oldman

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 01:55:35 PM »
N1k good firepower and ok speed together with nice turn but slow roll.

Offline TexMex

• Zinc Member
What is the best plane?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:55:09 AM »
Take it from another noob, pick one[/b] aircraft and stick with it. My squadies told me to get out of the default p-51 and into something that will teach me how to fly. I picked the spit16 to learn in (not that I'm done...). I currently fly a spit9 or a yak-9u, depending on what I'm doing. I happen to like turn fighting over boom-n-zoom'ing. Some prefer bnz over turn fighting.

Every plane has it's strengths and weaknesses over another plane. My spit9 can't chase down most other planes, but I can outturn just about anything but a good nik or ki pilot. I can probably catch and outturn just about anything in my yak, but once I catch them, I have cannon ammo conservation problems.

Again, pick a plane and stick with it.