Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Movie  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« on: May 10, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
So, who's going??

I understand it covers from the Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor and up to the Dolittle Raid!

Cool  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
I fully expect it to be politically infused with things such as a romance, where guy falls in love with a guy, and a girl is a fighter pilot.  

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
I'll probably go check it out just for the special effects to see all those purty planes flying around.  But as for the story, plot those kinda things I'm really scared to see what they might have done to history hehe  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Although I hated the way they "Hollywoodized" Saving Private Ryan, I think this is the only way they can afford to do war movies these days and still hope to make a profit.  I guess that I can put up with them taking historical liberties and putting in a love sub-plot if it means that I see real aircraft/armor/ships and not little models (a la old Godzilla movies).

Thank God Ben Affleck is in it, or else I would never be able to get the girlfriend to go with me.  

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
I don't care if it's historically accurate or not it still looks cool.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
I really want to see the Battle of Britain sequence.

Will it have hoards of P-51's saving Blighty?  

Absolutely no disrespect to the 240 pilots of the real Eagle Squadron (what they did was truly monumental), but I think it should somehow reflect how small in number they were compared to Commonwealth and British pilots.

Or will it be another Saving Private Ryan Saving Europe Singlehandledly?  

Anyway I'll be going to see it - it's a film with planes in - and it can't be worse than Iron Eagle III, can it?  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »

Or will it be another Saving Private Ryan Saving Europe Singlehandledly?

I saw that movie twice... I'm really failing to see the "Saving Europe singlehadedly" aspect of it.

Wew... you Brits sure have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the US in WW2

AKDejaVu

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing AKDejaVu.

I have SPR on DVD and watch it all the time and I don't see how it in anyway says anything about saving Europe.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dowding:

Anyway I'll be going to see it - it's a film with planes in - and it can't be worse than Iron Eagle III, can it?  

you mean there won't be an 15 yr olds shooting down dirty evil arabs to a great rock n roll score? awwwwww

i at least hope they will punctuate the 21 second fight scenes with some terrific 45 minute girl crying and swooning in love scenes. otherwise i'll be disappointed. also i hope they portray the enemy as bumbling and the brave americans they way they are with wind in their hair and teeth gleeming.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
Err... AKDejaVu, Mighty1, I might just have been joking, hence the '  '.   Frankly, I can't see how SPR shows the Americans liberating France single-handedly, either.

Iron Eagle was good. It had a great soundtrack and if you ignore the anti-arab rubbish, it had a great story. BTW, I was 8 y/o when I first saw it, so it was at my level.  

Iron Eagle II? Hmmm... not great. You knew what you were in for when you got this sequence:

[Pilot in barracks] What's that?

[Second Pilot] Sounds big. Sounds like two engines.

You then got a shot of an apparently Soviet fighter landing and it turned out to be...

... a F4 Phantom. Nice.  

Iron Eagle III: Who came up with that idea? What was he on, and what did he have on the production company to even get the idea considered? I mean come on! WW2 warbirds fighting against sleazy drug barons?!?

Nice planes, shame about just about everything else.  

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 05-10-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »

Err... AKDejaVu, Mighty1, I might just have been joking, hence the ' (Image removed from quote.)'. (Image removed from quote.)  Frankly, I can't see how SPR shows the Americans liberating France single-handedly, either.

Ah.. the irony of picking one of the first really good US made WW2 movies where the US is not portrayed as saving any country's bellybutton to use in this "joke".  Its one of the things I liked about the movie... the simplicity of the storyline and the real way they followed it.

You then got a shot of an apparently Soviet fighter landing and it turned out to be...

... a F4 Phantom. Nice.

LOL! I remember seeing that too.  I was in the Air Force at the time and we all left shortly thereafter.

I actually liked Iron Eagle when it first came out.. though I get kinda embarassed when I see it these days

AKDejaVu

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
I was really looking forward to Pearl Harbor coming out, then I saw that it was directed by Michael Bay (Armageddon, the Rock, etc.). I completely hate his style of directing... heroes constantly walking slow-motion out of the smoke toward the camera, all shots are 5-second-panning MTV/car commercial angles, overused blatantly intentional camera shaking for that "hand-held action" feeling, not to mention his complete lack of concern or understanding of physics, aerodynamics, etc.

Of course I'll still see the movie... he may even surprise me. (hoping)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
Except for the eloquence in wich the US soldiers talked in SPR (most of the language of real soldiers consisted of inventive variations of the word diddly), I dont see how you can believe it was "Hollywoodized".
It was a great movie, very in your face, and very realistic technically (except for the P-51 as tank busters, wich was because they coudnt find enough Jugs and P-38)

I dont think Pearl Harbor will come close to it technically, however I still believe it will be a good MOVIE.

If you are expecting 100% realism when you go see a movie, you are better off reading a book, buddy.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »

I fully expect it to be politically infused with things such as a romance, where guy falls in love with a guy, and a girl is a fighter pilot.

And a black man who was only allowed to be a mess attendant will probably man a machine gun and shoot down several planes, too!

Nimits

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
The black man is real, the other stuff is garbage.

The best Pearl harbor movie is Tora, Tora, Toro. Close to 100% historical accuracy, no stupid love scenes- "Oh I love so much. I don't care if they just blew up the Arizona. Kiss me again."-, and an honest but unbiased portrayol of both sides (i.e., it deals more with the military than the political/moral issues of the attack). I will see this new Pear Harbor monstrosity, but I am already dissappointed by it. An missile cruiser looks nothing like a WW2 battleship.