Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Movie  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2001, 10:00:00 PM »
The black guy is real, but I believe there's no evidence at all he shot anything down in reality. I'm led to believe in the movie he shoots down Japanese planes left and right.

I don't see how SPR was "Hollywoodized" AT ALL. NO romance, Upham ISN'T a hero in the end, he freezes and his comrade was killed; if it really was "Hollywoodized" Upham would have been a hero.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2001, 10:54:00 PM »
Yeah, I know he's real.  I think it was the common case of a soldier believing and claiming to have shot down a plane, but there being no confirmation from other sources that they did so.  It will be interesting to see how he's portrayed.

Gordo

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 05-10-2001).]

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2001, 03:02:00 AM »
Newsweek has a decent story on PH in its latest issue.

If I remember correctly, there was a black guy who made somewhat of a name for himself.  Although I think he worked in the laundry, not as a mess steward.

He did get to shoot a gun at the Vals, but, according to the article, someone said they made him stop because he was more of a danger to other sailors than the Japanese  

Sometime during the attack he did help save a wounded officer's life.

------------------
Col Dune
C.O. 352nd Fighter Group
"The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"

"Credo quia absurdum est." (I believe it because it is unreasonable)
- The motto of the Republic of Baja Arizona

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2001, 04:21:00 AM »
I think that the only flaw I can see in SPR is the total absence of British troops in it.

Not in Normandy, not anywhere in the movie.

I know I know US troops did so much, but it sure seems they were the only ones there.

Daniel, aka Cyrano

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2001, 04:54:00 AM »
Jeepers - SPR was not an epic covering Normandy Landings fer chrissakes. It was Saving Private Ryan who was an American, an American troop was sent to find him amongst American fighting men in an American sector. Lets cut the anti-american PC crap out of here even in jest, shall we? It stopped being funny long time ago...

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2001, 08:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by CyranoAH:
I think that the only flaw I can see in SPR is the total absence of British troops in it.

Not in Normandy, not anywhere in the movie.

This is TOTALLY REALISTIC.

Mixing units is a bad thing. The British and Canadians were totally concentrated on the eastern three beaches, Americans on the Western two. ONLY way you'd run into British troops at all is if you happened to be in the extreme Eastern part of the Omaha Beach zone.

The invasion didn't consist of assorted British and American squads randomly mixed together.

In the time frame of the movie, I doubt  that more than 5% of all the US troops in Normandy saw a British soldier anywhere in France.

It would be perfectly plausible for an American soldier in Europe from June of 1944 to April of 45 not to see a British soldier the ENTIRE TIME except on leave in Paris or something, particularly if he ended up in Third Army.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Pearl Harbot the movie:  Airplanes, Bombs, Explosions...

I am SO there!

-math
(who doesn't really care if the movie is historically accurate, as long as it is entertaining, which is what I go to movies for - to be entertained)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »

Originally posted by Mathman:
Pearl Harbot the movie:  Airplanes, Bombs, Explosions...

I am SO there!

-math
(who doesn't really care if the movie is historically accurate, as long as it is entertaining, which is what I go to movies for - to be entertained)

Me too Math, so long as the ever-present Hollywood Politically-motivated subliminal messages and Political correctness are not present...last movie I saw that this was true in is SPR.  

AG Sachsenberg

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
I will be there with pen and paper analyzing why the zeke is fitted with Type 99 II's instead of I's    LOL I go see movies for the same basis.  Not to judge whether a Tiger has a T-34 hull    Looks lik eit will be a great movie and I am glad they are still making ww2 movies at all  

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
SPR IS NOT REALISTIC BECAUSE THERE ARE NO AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS AMREICANS WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES IN WW2 YOU KNOW?!?!1

geez. get your head off your ass. Did you really expect to see British soldiers working with american ones? Now THAT would have been realistic, ah??

SPR was an excellent movie, you are just pissed it was about americans.

same reason you probably were pissed at Braveheart. Excellent movie.
who cares about accuracy, when it was such a GREAT movie. the brits were all over the place hating the movie and all that toejam. lol.

AG Sachsenberg

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by Animal:
who cares about accuracy, when it was such a GREAT movie. the brits were all over the place hating the movie and all that toejam. lol.

Actuallly now that you mention it I am pissed they left out americans in braveheart.  WTF is up with that?     LOL

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »

SPR IS NOT REALISTIC BECAUSE THERE ARE NO AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS AMREICANS WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES IN WW2 YOU KNOW?!?!1

geez. get your head off your ass. Did you really expect to see British soldiers working with american ones? Now THAT would have been realistic, ah??

Who exactly are you talking to, Animal? Because, as far as I can see, you seem to be arguing with yourself...

As for Braveheart, it is Hollywood hokum. You didn't see the William Wallace that any historian could describe to you.

It was a good film, but I really wouldn't go thinking it is even a *little* bit historical, unlike SPR which isn't too far off the mark (by all reliable accounts).

Are you on drugs? So British people were pissed off at Braveheart because it had Americans in it? Eh?

Actually, most people I know who have seen it think it is good. So it makes me wonder where you get you information from.

The underlying truth is that at English are used to being portrayed as 'evil' in everything Hollywood churns out. We are also used to the flak we get from the Scottish and the Welsh, despite the fact neither Wales or Scotland would survive without English tax-payer's money. It is basically alright to be racist about the English if you happen to be Irish, Scottish or Welsh. But turn it around and all hell breaks lose. Pathetic really. But I guess having a chip on your shoulder can make you a little tetchy...

As for Braveheart - I thought it was a good film. But it overplayed the heroism of the mighty Scottish defending their land against the 'evil' dastardly English... <yawn>.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 05-11-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
And "The Patriot" ?  I think it touched on Dowdings arrogance?  

(J/K!  Sip a cup of tea, down a Guiness, and drop and give me 20!)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
geez whats your problem?

They are BOTH excellent movies.
For all I care they could have portrayed William Wallace fighting against the Vikings, and I would have still liked the movie.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
You guys do whatever you want.

I'm going to Pearl Harbor again and again just to see the F4U-1C's sweep the skies clean of the Japanese attackers before they even get to Battleship Row.

Yep, this time, in a suprise ending, the US simply cleans their clock!

The scene at the end when the 27 squadrons of angry F4U-1C drivers attack the Japanese task force and sink every single one of them with gunfire alone is worth the ticket price, IMO.

Gotta love the -1C.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!