Author Topic: Let Inmates Fight to the Death - Like Gladiators  (Read 747 times)

funked

Let Inmates Fight to the Death - Like Gladiators
« on: May 12, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
I'm madder than an Italian with a soggy meatball over all the hubbub about how they run their jails up in the great state of Tennessee.

Seems a warden had the brilliant idea to let the jailbirds have some fun and fight in the prison yard just like gladiators in ancient Rome and the movies, with shields and swords and that spikey ball they swing over their heads and throw at each other.

And not only was it good exercise for the inmates, but from what I understand, the guards got a well-deserved break from prison routine while watching the fights.

And according to reports, a good time was had by all.

But now some crybaby spoiled sports are whining and complaining that this was inhuman, cruel, and, in the words of one Goody-Two-Shows, "just plain terrible."

How in the world could anyone not like the idea of a bunch of criminals fighting like gladiators? That's what the ancient Romans and Greeks used to do and they weren't barbarians -- they were the Founding Fathers of civilization, for crying out loud.

I say we should televise these fights so everyone can see them. A show called Prison Gladiators would be the hottest thing on the boob tube since Gunsmoke and The Donna Reed Show.

It would be like championship wrestling without all the talking and shouting between matches.

And give the prisoners something to fight for if you really want a good show. Have a tournament and let the winner cut a year off his jail time. And we could give the runner-up an extra slice of bread to go with his water in the cafeteria line.

If you're one of those squeamish types who don't like violence, then you can just turn the channel to the fashion network or the public stations that show all those fancy British sitcoms like Mystery Theater and Benny Hinn.

Everyone will be happy. Gladiator prison fights will give criminals a chance to pay their debt to society and make something good of themselves while giving the rest of us something entertaining to watch and argue and fight about at work the next day.

Let the fun begin!

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
:::chuckles::: Got watch the film "Series 7", Funked.

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
the debate would never even come up if we would just execute more of them in the first place.

i dont agree with making up games for them - there should be no enjoyment in prison - it should be a place of suffering and regret. instead lets just move them from verdict to lethal injection without all the b.s.

the fish system:
-pronounced guilty on monday
-tuseday a panel looks at your request for appeal and unless there's a note from jesus, no appeal is granted.
- wednesday executed. no fanfare just pull the plug.

lower the qualifications for the death penalty too - any murder, repeat felons, certain rape cases, etc. innocent people might get caught up unjustly without the lengthy appeal process but so what. 2 inncoents die and 1000 guilties are gone. now its the other way around 1000 guilties back on the streets to protect 2 innocents.

noble for 1776 and all but today's problems and population aren't those of the 18th century. then we increase sentences for violence and crimes against person and stop jailing drug addicts for cryin out loud!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »

...certain rape cases...

Rape cases are notorious for miscarriages of justice and women claiming rape because of spite. And the sad thing is, many raped women are so traumatized by the incident that they cannot report it. But how would you be 100% sure you had the right man?

Clearly you don't really care:

...innocent people might get caught up unjustly without the lengthy appeal process but so what. 2 inncoents die and 1000 guilties are gone...

Heh, I wonder what you'd say if YOU were charged with a crime you didn't commit? How would you deal with that? Losing your freedom unjustly is one thing, losing your life is something else entirely.

Crime and punishment will always be a problem, but how can you deny someone the basic human right to appeal on a judgement?

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
dowding:

question 1:

surprised with all your wits you didn't pickup on the "certain" part. ie: bum kidnaps little girl on the way to school and scars her for life and gets caught in the act. the word certain implies a host of preconditions. otherwise every angry jane would have sex with some guy to get him killed. read better my friend, dont assume i skipped the obvious.

question 2:

no i don't care. the current system looses more innocent people through putting repeat offenders back on the streets and guilty people released on silly technicalities than it would through occasional miscarriages of justice.

and if it were me - what an inevitable question, oh well i would be a martyr for the greater good and we all gotta go anyway. also how many times have these innocent people falsely accused really been free of all suspicion? we place too much emphasis on idividual rights these days. the homeless have a right to sleep at the bottom of my stairs and defecate on the sidewalk in front of my place. at least thats what the cops tell me when i can actually get ahold of them. the society i see around me suffers because of the overt attention to the individual - he anything goes - aint no wrong aint no right culture of relativity - i fully support measures that work for the good of the whole - but that's not in our 18th century political system is it. sure am glad the british arent quartered in my house whew.....also it is so nice to have taxation with representation. i mean i want less tax each election period but no matter who i vote for they go up. how much representation do i really have? the other taxes are just disguised - i mean what is registration? i paid 3,000 when i bought my car and 300 a year for what? slaes tax, bridge toll, you name it and i still have to pay my way thru school and provide my own health care. the constitution was meant to prevent gross miscarriages of justice from a monarch- i dont think our founding fathers would support this rotting irresponsible and spineless culture we've created.

EDIT: and p.s. dowding, where do you live anyway.....britain?! I bet we have more murders in san francisco alone this year than your whole country and ireland, denmark and finland have in a year. we had 19 murders in the first 6 mos of last year - i've known us to have 4 in one night. that's just one city in a country of crime ridden cities. and that's just the actual homicides - that doesnt count the sea of injured and disabled people in beatings shootings stabbings and knifings. come live on my block for a while.

[This message has been edited by mrfish (edited 05-12-2001).]

AG Sachsenberg

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
Maybe they could use wet noodles for whippings as well.  I think the worst thing would be the loser having to have sex with Liberache "Spl?" The dead musical gay guy.  I would pay to watch criminals beating the hell out of each other.  

Offline RebootSequence

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by AG Sachsenberg:
Maybe they could use wet noodles for whippings as well.  
I think the worst thing would be the loser having to have sex with Liberache "Spl?" The dead musical gay guy.  
I would pay to watch criminals beating the hell out of each other.  

Um.  Yeah.  You must fly LW.  

-sequence

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2001, 04:31:00 AM »
>>>
lower the qualifications for the death penalty too - any murder, repeat felons, certain rape cases, etc. innocent people might get caught up unjustly without the lengthy appeal process but so what. 2 inncoents die and 1000 guilties are gone. now its the other way around 1000 guilties back on the streets to protect 2 innocents.
>>>

Sorry, but I'm against the death penalty, especially for rape - it's too easy for a woman to falsely accuse a man. The legal system here is very female-biased anyway, but that's a different matter.

I would, however, propose solitary confinement for life.

------------------
qts

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2001, 04:53:00 AM »

Originally posted by qts:
>>>
>>>

Sorry, but I'm against the death penalty, especially for rape - it's too easy for a woman to falsely accuse a man. The legal system here is very female-biased anyway, but that's a different matter.

I would, however, propose solitary confinement for life.

and i'll repeat to you what i said to dowding.....

"surprised with all your wits you didn't pickup on the "certain" part. ie: bum kidnaps little girl on the way to school and scars her for life and gets caught in the act.the word certain implies a host of preconditions. otherwise every angry jane would have sex with some guy to get him killed. read better my friend, dont assume i skipped the obvious."

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2001, 06:33:00 AM »
What's with attitude Mr. Fish? There was nothing personal in my post.

*Very* few crimes are as clean cut as the one you describe. And crimes like rape are often one person's word against another, which is surely not very useful if you are wanting to kill people based on that evidence.

As for where I come from - Britain - the homicide rate is much lower than the US. But the chance of being attacked is not far off yours. Where I come from, Barnsley, getting into a fight is easier than getting a drink at 10:55 on a Friday night. I've been in two already this year - and I only go out 3-4 times a month and I'm not some tough guy who goes out looking for a fight. My cousin has fared even worse, and has was pretty badly beaten up last year. It's certainly not Harlem, but its not really what you describe either.

...what an inevitable question, oh well i would be a martyr for the greater good and we all gotta go anyway.

I don't believe you. It's as simple as that.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
Sure... I'm with ya... might even be entertaining... first, you have to release all the victimless criminals. Today is a good day to end the drug war.

Mr. T

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2001, 08:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Sandman_SBM:
Sure... I'm with ya... might even be entertaining... first, you have to release all the victimless criminals. Today is a good day to end the drug war.

Yup, that's about 50% of the prison inmates right there. Half of them are users, the other half might be dealers or run meth factories.

Can't believe they throw people in jail for screwing themselves over...
-SW

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2001, 10:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mr. T:

Can't believe they throw people in jail for screwing themselves over...
-SW

Believe it!  Remember, it is not a crime to commit suicide but it is a crime if you try it and fail

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Mr. T

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2001, 01:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by MrBill:
Believe it!  Remember, it is not a crime to commit suicide but it is a crime if you try it and fail  

Understood... but some of them things people get thrown in jail for... gotta question the reasoning behind it. I mean marijuana of all things... really... that's a bit of the extreme doncha think? (done my time)
-SW