Author Topic: Rockets!!!!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Rockets!!!!
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:23:30 PM »
I have had an addiction to rockets for a few weeks now.  So I decided to do some reseach into them.  I found some questions that the AH community might just know.  So here they are...

1.  Is strike angle factored into the gv hit model?

2.  What version of the british 60lb rocket do we have?  The Semi-armor piercing high explosive or the Anti tank high explosive?

3.  What version of the panzerblitz do we have?

Hope someone knows something aobut this :)  Or this thread will hit the next page shortly ;)

I have seen quotes for 160-220mm of armor penitration for the panzershrek warhead used on the PB.  So it should be able to take out even the tiger correct?

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »
Unfortunately, we have the PB-1:

One of those was the Panzerblitz 1 rocket. Developed by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik, the Panzerblitz (Pb1) was a more successful missile than the Panzerschreck 1 that preceded it. The rocket consisted of an 80mm mortar grenade (Gerat M8 -Device M8) mated with the R4M air-to-air missile. In 1 Sept 1944, four Pb1 launch rails were installed under the wing of Fw-190F-8 Werke Number 733705 for trails. Tests showed the rockets could be launched from about twice the distance from the target (about 200 yards) as the Panzerschreck but with a maximum target approach speed of 305 mph, the aircraft was vulnerable to ground fire.

The number of rockets fitted beneath each wing rose to six and finally standardized on eight very late in the war. Not surprisingly, the smaller warhead penetrated only 90mm of steel. At first, the rockets were fired in two salvos, but later launched in pairs.

The type was replaced by Panzerblitz 2, a modified R4M with a Panzerschreck warhead, capable of penetrating 180mm of armor, but that is another story. Now that would be a nice rocket to have!  Why the LW gets only the PB-1 while the IL-2 can up with both their versions of Air-to-Ground rockets is anyone's guess.  I hope they let the FW-190F8 get the PB-2 eventually.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »
I looked at the tiffy in game, the rockets ID was a 3.5" rocket.  Did they use the US 3.5" rocket or is this the RP3 rocket (either the 25lb or 60lb version)?

From what I have found just searching the intardnet it looks like the US only had high explosive on the 4.5 inch rockets and larger.  The Brits had HE on the 60lb version of their RP3 60lb rocket.

Any input from HT or company? ;)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Rocket Testing?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »
Anyone done any seat of the pants rocket testing?

Rocket Type / Number of Rockets to Kill vs
Hanger
Panzer
Cruiser

etc?

The A to A rockets I assume are a 1-shot 1-kill if you can actually get a hit, but I'll leave that to the other thread.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »
WGRs will destroy a bomber if they hit, but if they "time out" they will air detonate, like puffy ack, doing damage based on proximity.

I did some testing. Okay I did a lot a while back. I couldn't kill any GV with rockets, period. Mostly because it's nigh impossible to land them on the target.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
Originally posted by zorstorer
I looked at the tiffy in game, the rockets ID was a 3.5" rocket.  Did they use the US 3.5" rocket or is this the RP3 rocket (either the 25lb or 60lb version)?

From what I have found just searching the intardnet it looks like the US only had high explosive on the 4.5 inch rockets and larger.  The Brits had HE on the 60lb version of their RP3 60lb rocket.

Any input from HT or company? ;)

I guess we have the wrong rockets then, as the RP3 was only 3" as opposed to the US 3.5".
"Rocketphoons" carried the 60lb RP3 as you correctly state.
Needed to hit engine or tracks to damage tanks.

Avail with different warheads-
60 lb Shell, HE/SAP (Semi-armour piercing)(27 kg)
60 lb Shell, HE/GP, Hollow Charge
18 lb Shell, HE (8 kg)
25 lb Shot, AP (11 kg)

The whole Typhoon is a hybrid anyway, fingers crossed will get fixed when it is its turn to be remodelled.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:57:10 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 03:03:47 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
WGRs will destroy a bomber if they hit, but if they "time out" they will air detonate, like puffy ack, doing damage based on proximity.

I did some testing. Okay I did a lot a while back. I couldn't kill any GV with rockets, period. Mostly because it's nigh impossible to land them on the target.

Ive had some (not enough) luck with rockets vs gvs.  Bagged several panzzers with single strikes and once popped a Tiger with a salvoed pair of a Hellcat. The Tiger hit was from directly above and was a perfect hit. aka dumb luck on my end. I have had a few rockets deflect off the Tiger and shoot off in another direction. They a very effective in the light armor and a close hit will knock them out. The Ostwind I cant kill with anything but a bomb from the air for some reason. I cant even get them to pop with the Hurri IID. I can kill a Tiger with it but not the Osti. Go figure.

p.s.  if you just think about shooting a PT boat with rockets they will explode instantly:D

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »
Rockets are good for killing PTs.  Take up a 38 and dive in at 45 degrees headon with a PT.  Fire at the tail end of the PT at 1.5K to 1K.  You don't have to hit, just get close.  Other than that, i have found them useless

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »
i have had several rockets bounch off my tiger the worst damage i have ever taken in a gv from a rocket was when a 51 lauched all its rockets at my pnzr. 1 or more of the rockets hit me in the middle of the turret and somehow that tracked me but otherwise i didn't take any other damage.

i don't fear rockets much when i'm in a tank.

-68slayr-

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
I guess we have the wrong rockets then, as the RP3 was only 3" as opposed to the US 3.5".
"Rocketphoons" carried the 60lb RP3 as you correctly state.
Needed to hit engine or tracks to damage tanks.

Avail with different warheads-
60 lb Shell, HE/SAP (Semi-armour piercing)(27 kg)
60 lb Shell, HE/GP, Hollow Charge
18 lb Shell, HE (8 kg)
25 lb Shot, AP (11 kg)

The whole Typhoon is a hybrid anyway, fingers crossed will get fixed when it is its turn to be remodelled.

i just finished a book by a Typhoon pilot.  He was S/L 609 squadon in 2nd TAF in December of 1944 when he was shot down.  On this flight he was carrying rockets with a phosphorus warhead intended to be used on an oil refinery or fuel dump...I've also seen photos for AP warheads on HVARs, but i think they were under the wing of a Korean war era F4U...the Typhoon S/L, Charles Demoulin, wrote that the RPs were quite effective, even against tigers & panthers.  He was quite enthusiastic about the rocket Typhoon...

Firebirds, very good book
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:29:44 PM by Debonair »

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 05:55:10 PM »
Originally posted by 68slayr
i have had several rockets bounch off my tiger the worst damage i have ever taken in a gv from a rocket was when a 51 lauched all its rockets at my pnzr. 1 or more of the rockets hit me in the middle of the turret and somehow that tracked me but otherwise i didn't take any other damage.

i don't fear rockets much when i'm in a tank.

-68slayr-

I always laugh when I see the rockets bounce off :D

The PB1 rockets the 190F8 carries are quite effective at taking out our GV's even the tiger.  But they do take alot of practive to get it right.  I usually dive in at a 40-80 deg angle at about 1.5k from the gv.  I have my gunsight pipper just about on top of the sight.  Put the GV halfway from the pipper to the bottom of the glass portion of the sight.  Now at 600m away doing about 250-300mph fire 2 rockets (they fire 2 left, 2 right, etc..I think ;) )  If done right you should get a kill message when you begin to zoom back up.

They make the 190F8 fun to fly...oh yea also burn your aft tank first...helps for those hard pull outs.

It would be nice to get more options for rockets / bombs like the HEAT rocket warhead for the russians, or 60lb warhead for the brits :)

PLEASE :noid

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Rocket Testing?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 05:59:20 PM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
Anyone done any seat of the pants rocket testing?

Rocket Type / Number of Rockets to Kill vs
Hanger
Panzer
Cruiser

etc?

The A to A rockets I assume are a 1-shot 1-kill if you can actually get a hit, but I'll leave that to the other thread.

EagleDNY
$.02

Someone did and for the life of me I can't remember who.  Plus it was back in AH1.  The HVAR US rocket was around 130lbs worth of explosive, with all the other rockets falling in from 50-120lbs each.  But this is coming from a fragile memory ;)

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
HVARs were about 140 lbs.
the HE verson had 45lbs of explosives, there was an SAP version (don't know)...the AT shape charge was postwar only

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 05:54:01 AM »
Slash, for some reason I found it very hard to concentrate after I'd read your post. Actually, I have the feeling that my own warhead is armed...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Rockets!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
:rofl ... I stole her from JB28 for a few days:D