Author Topic: Prison system in the U.S.: Life too easy?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Prison system in the U.S.: Life too easy?
« on: February 12, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Some of the amenities that a Federal prisoner in the U.S. has:
Roof, bed, 3 squares a day.
College education programs.
Weight rooms, excercise equipment.
Free time to watch T.V. or use computers.

Many more amenities, but these are just a few that stand out...

Now, lets say you're a drug dealer...you have the chance of getting busted..but, you know in your heart that the odds of becoming very rich very quickly are good, and the penalty is being 'imprisoned' with the above amenities, which in some cases are better housing conditions than where one came from..

So...wheres the penalty?

QUESTION:Should "Chain Gangs" be implemented back into the system to prevent repeat offenders of major crimes?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »

So...wheres the penalty?

Loss of freedom and the ability to damage the community further.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Well, in some parts of the world, there's the idea that "help those that can be helped". Knowing that most will come out of there, having served their time, it saves tax payer dollars to minimize repeat offenders.

I'd die slowly in a prison. Some of my former friends have served time, and for a relatively normal human being, being incarcerated and stripped of freedom is not an enjoyable thing, no matter how many computers you have access to.

In the US, they might be better of in jail than outside, I would not know. In 95% of cases here (becase of our silly welfare state), they already have access to computers etc when they're free, even if they're poor.

Others are just to be locked up. However, all humans are just that, and should not be treated like animals.

It is an interesting question; how low will a society stoop when dealing with unwanted elements? Degrade and humiliate them? Inflict pain and suffering? Does this treatment of unwnted element not lower the societynto the level of said criminals? And if so is it justifiable by "they did it, so therefore we can"? I believe it is not.

Those that disagree with me and want more degrading conditions should appeal to their respective government to have prisons like in Russia and Turkey, or run the risk of running into a logical problem  .
Who said (paraphrasing) "the state of advancement of a civilization can be seen by nviewing its prisoners"?

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 02-12-2001).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
QUESTION:Should "Chain Gangs" be implemented back into the system to prevent repeat offenders of major crimes?[/B]

Yes, bring back the chain gangs not to prevent offenders, may slow some down, but to have them carry their weight.. They can pick up trash from the highways to mention but one public service they could perform.
And yes, today's modern prison system with its perks is the Ritz compared to where many of its inmates originate from. There isn't a deterrent for most repeat offenders, more a family reunion to look forward to when busted..

The movie "Cool Hand Luke" had it right ..

Eagler

[This message has been edited by Eagler (edited 02-12-2001).]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:

QUESTION:Should "Chain Gangs" be implemented back into the system to prevent repeat offenders of major crimes?

Answer: Yes. If they want all those amentities, they should do something to earn them. Otherwise, a cell, a bed, and three meals a day should be all they're entitled too.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
 I think Old Testament law would be best, an "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth".

The punishment should fit the crime.

The US Justice system <theres a big laugh> needs overhauled from top to bottom - the carrion feeding attorneys and court system are too busy screwing people out of their money to worry about justice.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
I know and have met people that have spent quality time in penatentiaries across the US.  I don't know a single one of them that is eager to go back.  They cringe whenever someone suggests that it can't be "that bad".

As for the luxuries... I believe that the prision system should also have reform in mind.  That means they need the tools to necessetate reform.  Computers and college courses are great tools to accomplish that.  Cable television, movies and video games are not.

I also believe that excersise equipment should be available.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Well, some interesting thoughts, thks for replies.

My reply would be of one involving 'earning' your 'extra' priveleges...as we do outside the prison.  If one wants to have the access to facilities involving leisure time, such as TV, working out, etc.. then they should have to work for the state in some form...now, I'm not talking breaking rocks in a quarry with a hammer, that is de-humanizing, but work an honest 8 hour day with some sort of manual labor.

OTOH, if one chooses not to work, then no extra privies are allowed, other than a standard 1 hour outside to stretch the legs.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
Ripsnort - isn't that similar to the system of 'trusted' prisoners, which I think almost every country in the world already uses?

You know, such inmates are allowed particular freedoms for good behaviour. Non-cooperation or anti-social behaviour results in reduction of priviledges.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Correct Dowding, but that's just for behaving, what I'm speaking of involves working for those extra priveleges.  For instance, I would not be able to view television for just good behavior, I have to earn it by working, then purchasing it.  Same goes for a spa...if I want to enjoy basketball, go swimming, lift weights, I have to work so that I can pay for my membership.

Remember, prison is not supposed to be a country club, its a place where one is supposed to be rehabilitated for introduction  back into society, or punished in the case of a murder.  Rewarding someone for simply behaving normally (i.e. not fighting, stabbing, drug use, as in the case of prison) is not what I consider the answer.

What better way to rehabilitate someone for the preparation of re-introducing them back into society than to have them work for what they want, as in the case of those outside of prison?

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-12-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Very nice ideas rip.

But perhaps some basic schooling should be "free" - if it was at a level requiring energy.

One day of studying can burn me out just as much as one day of hard work.

Job preparation is good, IMHO.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space"

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
ahh ...a perk point system for prisons

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
Chain gangs should be brought back, so should work farms. If that inmate wants a little color TV he should work his bellybutton off to get it. Limited cable access? Ok, four months on the farm and you'll get it; provided you behave. Want an old slow computer? Not a problem; six months on the chain gang should do it. Naturally this excludes those little idiots caught smoking a joint in front of a cop. If they're only serving four or six months, they get the basics; three meals, a bed, and a cell. Nothing else.

Now to deal with the death row problem I've got an idea. No more of this three appeals taking 20 years BS. If your three appeals don't go through in five years, you get bused to Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Let the Army test new bullets, mines, artillery, sensor systems, and guns on him. That way the Army gets some practice shooting at people, plus they can find out which gun kills quickest. Saves us about 3 million bucks a pop.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
At least they'll be spending more time in prison than over here in Finland  
(just dont be mistaken to try to defend from your attacker or you'll be in the jail instead of the attacker.. definately don't shoot him, even more definately dont kill him)

ICEWIND

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
As far as I am concerned working for some extra goodies is rather silly.
At first sight it looks good that a prisoner has to earn his or her privileges. But if you take a closer look at this system you will realize that it is unrealistic, because it does not work in real life for most prisoners.
When you put them back into civil life into their problem zone neighbourhoods,  nobody will reward them for some extra tasks. Nobody will stand behind their backs and watch them and say if you’re a nice boy you will get some extra candies. If you see it realistic no one will give a dam what they do or not do to improve their life.