Author Topic: Starting map  (Read 1420 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Starting map
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 07:01:01 AM »
Originally posted by duh
Made a terrain using Terragen. Don't know how to import ito TE.
Saved the file with .ter extension but don't know where to put it?

I saw an option in tile setter but it does nothing?
The .ter file has to be the same name as your terrain and in the same folder. Select the .elv and .typ files in the windows then click "Find Units". Once you've set your elevations click "Set Elevation".

A note here to make things a little faster for you. Export your existing terrain before using terragen. Move it to a safe place. Import your terragen terrain into the TE and then export that. Then with photoshop or paint shop select and copy the water area from your original map and paste it into the terragen map. Then import it back into the TE. Now all you have to do is clean up the shore lines.

Boy I hope that made sense. ;)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Starting map
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 08:39:38 AM »
What i first tried - exported bmp from TE, imported it unchanged, only set the max alt to 20000- got very nice hills.
I'll try what u said now and decide what looks better.

EDIT: When using method i first did, even water is at alt, when i set it to 0 alt, hard hills at coastline.Do i have to manually fix all the coastline (2 years of work).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:02:35 AM by croduh »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Starting map
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 10:48:46 AM »
There's nothing wrong with hard hills (cliffs?) on the coastline. The only places you would need to sculpt are where you have bases that are capturable by sea. So, it's not as bad as you think.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Starting map
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »
But it is kinda wierd taht everywhere around the lake are 500 feet hills

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Starting map
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
A couple of tips:

You can use a smudge tool to carve cayons into the bitmap of that coast.  That'll break it up and provide some good cayon fighting.

Keep notes on you favorite altitude setting because you'll export and re-import a lot.  I often export the elevation file and then copy and paste my favorite terrain parts into the more boring areas of the terrain.  Here the smudge tool helps again to smooth out the sharp edges.

Oh and if your water is still not zero, let TE fix it, export the bitmap and do the touch up.  While working with the bitmap is fastest, it leave things you have to fix in the TE.

Also on your maps that are less then 512x512, be sure to paint all the areas beyond the clipboard map to solid black before you import back into TE. Otherwise you'll have water not zero or worse, Tilesetter will set land tiles there adding up to 1.5 MB to the map size.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Starting map
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »
After huge fight with my PS here is what i have come to - a little bit changed elevations ( using terragen ), copy - pasted lake.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Starting map
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »
duh,
just remember that higher altitude area always has more advantage. It is easier to defend it and it is easier to attack from it ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Starting map
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
Here is a bit changed map.

Decided to change countries too.This are the hqs positions.

And thoe mountains really aren't high - 3-4k

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Starting map
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 01:02:42 PM »
I might move the SW country's HQ to 8,5,9

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Starting map
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 06:38:48 PM »
Im glad I found this thread

I have a few good map ideas but no clue how to generate the terrains (with hills, etc)

Can you guys toss out some links/suggestions for such software that can do so?

The main arena needs some new maps badly...so I figured Id revive some of my old ideas and give map making a whirl

Thanks in advance

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Starting map
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 04:50:21 AM »
There are multiple ways of creating terrains(hills...)

You can use the program called "mapmaker". Do a search on the forums for that program.

You can draw you own grayscale map in photoshop or any other pic editor. White areas will be the highest hills and black areas will be the groun level.Different tones of grey represent different altitudes. THen you can use an option in TE to import that picture you made.

You can also use a program called "Terragen" wich automatically generates hills etc.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Starting map
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 05:58:44 AM »
You can also use World Machine.

I use a combination of World Machine and Terragen. On occasion I use true elevations with Map Maker.

Offline mamba2

• Copper Member
      • http://home.mchsi.com/~fightclub/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Starting map
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
How do u even work the editor? i just downloaded it and i dont know how to run it.

Offline FalconSS

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Mamba
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 04:30:24 AM »
Useing the Mapmaker program is the best way, the program it self is small the files that are required are HUGE, read your post that I responded to then we can get you going w/the other programs that work well w/ the terrain editor.
Marty McFly

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Starting map
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »
Originally posted by mamba2
How do u even work the editor? i just downloaded it and i dont know how to run it.

Tutorial: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182825
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm