Author Topic: Vehicle fields, ports and zones.  (Read 850 times)

Offline English

• Zinc Member
Vehicle fields, ports and zones.
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
Hi

I've been tinkering with the terrain editor for the last week or so, a few things still mystifying me.

a.) I can never get a vehicle field to show up as V2 for example its always labeled A2, I have changed the pbject number to 1 but to no avail. There must be something I am missing here. Same thing with ports and CV assignment.

b) Zone 1 always works out ok but zone 2 always reports as mismatch, also knights have no HQ, even tho I have assigned it. Must be a zone thing I am missing here.

If anyone can shed any light on these problems I would be most grateful.

Cheers
English

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »
when you place a field, label it a tower. then a tab will show in bottom right saying airfield. Click that and select vehicle field.
You need to go to your field settings and make all fields in zone 1 bish, zone 2 knights.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »
Actually Raptor you don't need to do that, but first.

From English's post, I'd say your fields and strat are too close together.  Put your HQs at least 10 miles apart.  Keep airfields 5 miles apart and 10 miles away from enemy strat.  That should get your HQs to show if you have everything else right so to be sure, start with a fresh terrain and reuse the .elv and .typ files.

Next, the vehicle base must have it's own field number.  If you use the same number as an airfield, it won't show as a 'V' field. Be sure to set the zone correctly too and check the two check boxes can collide and set to terrain alt.

Raptor I never change the fields to tower, I leave them as Void.  Then for a V-base I enter 1 in the Object Data field.  If I've given the base it's own unique number and the correct zone number, it shows as a V base.  Same for Ports except the Object Data field is 2.  Start a new terrain and test it.  Even your custom fields will work so long as they have a tower built into them in the Object Editor.  This won't work once you start setting your bases as tower, at least not on the map you're currently working on, I tried it but I may have reused an airfield number.  I'll let you know later.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:54:37 PM »
Easy, for those that do not know what # to put into the object id box, my way is easier.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:59:54 AM »
I was under the impression that all bases were supposed to be defined as group masters... now I am totally confused :huh

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 03:16:31 AM »
I've seen such posts BlauK. You can force the TE to do things in different ways. Look for a definition of a Group Master; I have and I've never been able to find one as it applies to AH. Not in any thead or any of the release ReadMe files, not in any of the help file I've lookded in and I've searched them.  IMO, maybe the Tower but probably the Map Room fit the implied definition of a Group Master.

Skuzzy once posted about Group Masters but his post implied he was answering about Zone Masters and it didn't match the context of the thread so I've always gone with the the oldest instructions and followed the advice of those who have come before me.

I've actually looked for anything that counteracted the old advice and htc has never posted anything to contradict the advice of Pokie, Nuttz and others who were here talking to Hitech in the beginning. In fact some of htc's post have said, and to paraphrase now, " the 'expert' map makers who should know better have gotten it wrong."

I often find myself in the postition of recommending something htc might say is wrong or another terrain maker will definately say is wrong.  I will only say what is working for me and makes sense to me; you can decide if it works and makes sense for you.

From what I know about the TE and the OE, a CV could be a Group Master but isn't as far as I can tell.  A Tower could be a Group Master but again, not as far as I can tell. The only thing I can find that fits the implied definition of a Group Master is the Map Room.  If the Map Room is destroyed, all the other objects of the field or fleet are captured.  For crying out loud, the Zone is capture if the Map Room is captured. I could be wrong, but I think the Map Rooms are hard coded as a Group Masters. IMO, assigning any object as a Group Master is wasted effort. Edit: Unless you want to make the map room look like a building, then you'd definately want to make it a Group Master.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 03:22:22 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 03:24:07 AM »
Poor English is shaking his head and wondering what we're talking about.

Sorry English.  I didn't intend to go beyond the basics.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
Easy, for those that do not know what # to put into the object id box, my way is easier.
It might be easier but is it correct for those submitting a terrain to htc?  Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does.

Then again I could be completely wrong or out of date. :D
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline English

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:32:42 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
Poor English is shaking his head and wondering what we're talking about.

Sorry English.  I didn't intend to go beyond the basics.

Well thanks for everyones repsonses, it has given me some food for thought anyhow. One shall persevere, who knows, maybe one day everything will fall into place lol.

Back to the drawing board...

Offline English

• Zinc Member
TE frustration
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:50:36 AM »
Jeez, I think TE is probably one of the most frustrating things I've encountered for years, here is my new problem...

I have created a couple of vehicle fields and ports to my map assigned them to bishops and knights, but when I build the terrain the map shows both VFs to be knights and both port to be rooks even tho they are assigned correctly. I might have to shout at my screen soon lol.

Bearing in mind this is a H2H map so only want two teams and no rooks!!

Cheers in advance for any input.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:27:07 AM »
First make sure your zones are set correctly.

Then under the Settings menu, change the country under the Fields Setup.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline English

• Zinc Member
zones
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
Yeah I think zones are the problem with my map, need more space between fields and enemy stuff.

Back to the drawing board...

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
Easy, see this thread in the CMTT forum... (sorry guys, CMs only)
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144950&highlight=master

In a nutshell, Skuzzy says: "On the "Group Master"; if the object has more than one object on it, then it is a "Group Master". Airfields, ports, towns all have multiple objects attached to them, so they are "Group Masters".

i.e. an airfield is a master object made up of groups of other objects."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:18:45 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 02:23:55 PM »
You would think they would allow the field type tab to work with the group master label...

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
It sure does make you wonder why it's even in there.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.