Author Topic: New computer?  (Read 452 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
New computer?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 05:21:34 AM »
At that price range I honestly think you're probably just as well off getting a cheapo dell.  They have basic computers with lcd monitors for under $500 especially if you have a coupon or get one on sale.  That way you get a big fat service plan which is probably worth more than the computer itself.

http://www.hardocp.com has reviewed a few dells recently in their consumer section, and they've actually come away with favorable impressions lately.  Dell has made some changes to be less irritating with their default software load, and their service is *usually* decent.

Hardocp has also recently reviewed several other inexpensive computers in addition to their usual gamer-oriented reviews, and even in their reviews of crappy computers they usually bring out good info any buyer should be aware of.

Try this site for coupon codes:

http://www.gotapex.com/
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
New computer?
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:27:03 PM »
Just curious here,

If you went with one of the cheapo dels would it function better if you reformated the HD and just installed a standard version of XP without the dell stuff added?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
New computer?
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 12:32:11 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Just curious here,

If you went with one of the cheapo dels would it function better if you reformated the HD and just installed a standard version of XP without the dell stuff added?

I would think so. They add alot of junk to their puters. Just uninstalling the junk leaves alot behind. Regcleaner might do a half decent job but i would prefer to reinstall.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
New computer?
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »
Okay... turning "towards a Mac"  "can't find a decent Mac"

I gotta change my cpid.....

I feel "Dirty" now.

Mac

Offline asilvia

• Copper Member
New computer?
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21:32 PM »
Although I am going to get alot of grief for this, You might want to look at an EMachine PC. I have had mine for about 2yrs now and works great. I paid around $550 for mine (just the tower, have a good monitor). I know Wallyworld sells them pretty cheap and is a complete package deal ( monitor, printer, tower).

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
New computer?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 04:48:21 AM »
Suprisingly enough, http://www.hardocp.com just reviewed an emachine :)

Seriously, their reviews focus on things like default software load and service more than exact hardware specs, because although hardware specs may change day to day, the software load and service is going to apply no matter what exact model you buy.

Dell has recently trimmed a lot of bloat out of their default software load and apparently they've made some decent progress.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.