Author Topic: Born before the 80s  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Born before the 80s
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »
You may have seen this. My daughter sent it to me and I got a kick out of it. Makes a lot of sense...............if you were born before the 80s. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1920's,30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house

and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will

know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »
< 1975 >

Thanks that post brought back some memories.

I remember being 11 or 12, going to the park in the winter every saturday morning, meeting 20 or so friends, and playing tackle football without equipment for hours and hours. We beat the crap out of eachother.. man that was fun.  Playing kill the carrier, finally getting caught, someone yelling "pile-on" and seeing feet, arms, legs, and through the pile, the fat kid building up speed to jump on top.

Playing man-hunt, my street vs the next one over.. Jumping over fences, hiding in backyards, having old ladies yell out there window.. "Hey kid, get outta my yard." Laughing my bellybutton off at the voice she had, and killing the hiding spot.

I live on a street with a steep hill. I remeber having races with my friends from top to bottom on anything with wheels. Skateboards vs modified big-wheels vs modified shopping carts vs modified dolly's.

Then came all the new technology, and everyone became hermits.

I was talking to my dad about it. He said in his day's as a kid, he would have about 100-150 kids playing together. My generation it went down to 15 to 20.
This generation, you hardly see any kids out, and most people don't even know there neighbors name.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:35:43 PM »
73' was the year of my birth. Star Wars was my childhood. Touch football in the street, block long hide and seek, and "lizard hunting" in the desert made up most of my youth. I even remember being my Grandpa's remote control for the T.V set.

I am grateful for my childhood. Things sure are different now.

-JoLLY
PigsontheWing.org
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »
I was born in 83 and the playing outside mentality was strong until we all turned 16 or 17, then came the car races and make outs in drive-ins.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Born before the 80s
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:53:06 PM »
I remember when the bb guns lead to War games ... :D

Those crossman pellet guns friggin hurt ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:55:10 PM »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:58:05 PM by weaselsan »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
We used to find the biggest nastiest weed covered hill in the area and haul an all metal Radio Flyer to the top. We would then don our fake plastic army helmet and ride that sucker as far down the hill as we could before the inevitable wipeout.

We of course kept score based on length of ride and best crash. Stitches earned extra....

I don't recall getting tired walking up that hill either.

(The 70's was a good decade to graduate high school)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Born before the 80s
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

The Atari 2600 was released in 1977.

That said... we did indeed spend most of our time outside. We had lots of space to play in.

(born in '62)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:03:48 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »
Playing '500' in the street. Kickball. Football. Baseball. playing Army with 'real' bb guns. Cowboys 'n Indians... with real bows and arrows. Bikes with playing cards in the spokes. I built a 'stingray' for $16.00 (delivered papers for the money) with a new bananna seat and 'sissybar', a tall gooseneck and added 6 bend pullback handlebars. The birth of the skateboard. The Chopper. Surfing.

What the hell happened?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Born before the 80s
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »
71' i remember there was kids tv on wensday after school was out.
That was special :)

I  also saw the computer coming from from sinclair,C64and Amiga.
The world has changed rapidly the last 20 years i guess.

Fighter jets that flew really low also that time.

Cold war etc.

good old time :)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »
Born in the early 70's

Man that post brought back tons of memories.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 04:00:13 PM »
(1975)

Kinda nice to see that even tho we are so far apart the daily life of a kid here and over on your side of the pond is so much alike..only a few things differed. :)

And here we are 30+ years later with many of the same interest... booze, planes and boobies :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 04:01:33 PM »
'59

a cardboard box and a grassy levee in New Orleans in the sixties was all a boy needed back then
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 04:03:45 PM »
That's an old one but a true one. The only one I didn't experience was that I didn't get a BB gun for my 10th birthday. But we did have catapults which were far more dangerous :( and had an astonishing range!

We fought stone wars with kids from other areas. Huge sprawling battles, highly organised involving scores of kids. It always started the same way, an invasion of territory or a beating dished out to an enemy who strayed across an imaginary line. Prisoners were routinely tortured:O  Soon the two armies met on the field of battle and it would go on as long until one side or other retreated or teatime whichever came first! I remember being besieged in a fortified camp which went on until an honourable but humiliating surrender was negotiated.  No knives or real injury to anyone, just serious fun.  I imagine if it happend nowdays. It would headlines on the TV news!

Like Midnight Target we would find a hill and ride what we called 'Go Karts' down them. Or else built a slide using any material we could find and ride down it on a old car bonnet or hood, just like the one in Weasels photo. Usually I went first. If I survived the others had a go. I had no sense of danger at all!

I fell out of trees or climbed to the very top and poked my head out.

We would take horses from the travellers and ride them bareback round the fields. I was in a gang that was chased by travellers once. They latched onto me and ran me down. Flung me into a car and demanded to know where their horse were. Wouldn't let me go until I showed them where they were. I think that's called kidnapping these days. At the time I knew it was poetic justice :rofl  

Things haven't completely changed, kids still go out and play like we did back then. My sisters give their kids plenty of leeway. One sister has two boys, one fell out of a tree, breaking both of his arms. As he lay there stunned, his brother rushed over and callously poked him with a stick saying 'Daniel, are you dead?' We never let him forget that one. :rofl

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Born before the 80s
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 04:05:14 PM »
'57

tackle football at the school yard

playing 500, over-the-line and other bb games

black and white tv

good guys did good things & bad guys did bad things

Mom was the boss.

hap