Author Topic: maybe is a little stupid, but...  (Read 1021 times)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
maybe is a little stupid, but...
« on: March 19, 2000, 11:31:00 PM »
First I want to ask if I'm right. In a plane the power output of the engine is measured by the Manifold pressure gauge. The power output decreases with altitude unless a supercharger is started...The effect is a visible drop in MAN pressure gauge.

Well I've noticed that in Fw190 the gauge stays in 40 at 100% throttle at ALL altitudes. In WEP goes a little higher. I know the BMW801D had a supercharger that worked until 20K feet... then the engine power output dropped significantly. Nothing of this is visible in the gauge. You can be at 5K or at 25K,that the gauge shows just the same: 40 inches.

As BMW801 was a advanced engine with some computerized features (prop's pitch, fuel mixture...)so I dont know if is a bug, or if it is simulated as it was. I hope you can tell me.

thks in advance.

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 03-19-2000).]

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 02:47:00 AM »
The pressure changes are being implemented slowly by updates RAM, they are just cosmetic, the model allready has them. Pyro said before it's twiddly diddly work getting the guages to show all the stuff right so it's slow.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2000, 03:58:00 AM »
"twiddly diddly" ?? Is that an obscure technical term?

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2000, 05:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sorrow[S=A]:
The pressure changes are being implemented slowly by updates RAM, they are just cosmetic, the model allready has them.

Well I really use the gauges, I find them not cosmetic, but useful for:
A) know When do I have Supercharger enabled
B) Know when the use if WEP has no effect
C) Have a general idea of the performance of my aircraft with ony a look.

For Example, In a P51 I use the gauge to know wich are the altitudes between Supercharger stages, and I try to avoid always being there  

I never doubted it was simulated...man, the 190 over 20K is SLUGGISH   I only wanted to know if it was realistic (BMW801 was a REALLY innovative engine with many special features)

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
Ram basically the supercharger is on all the time it is engine driven on most models F4U for sure. They can be boosted with a turbo like the P38 is or both, I think the P38 has both. The unused pressure is just dumped overboard by a waiste gate or fed to the engine when called for. The RPM's are set for prop speed and are not the rotational speed of the engine they can be 80 to 110% of engine speed. You increase torque by increaseing pressure. The RPM's also set the blade angle of the prop and in real airplanes over boosting an engine could cuase damage.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage