Author Topic: White Sands missile test phenomenal'  (Read 686 times)

Offline zorch

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
White Sands missile test phenomenal'
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 11:43:53 PM »
yea a news article vrs a troller with 8 posts......hmmmm tough choice I'll have to get back to you on that.

Hmm, some guy with 8604 posts to a BBS or the father of modern chemistry.

Relax, the second ammendment will prevent any IQ test for potential voters.

You would prefer maybe a nuclear explosion?

Maybe, yeah. A hit with a nuke will kill a lot of people, destroy a lot of property, and scatter a lot of radioactive dust. A nuke that detonates up a few thousand feet higher will kill fewer people, and spread much less radioactive dust. A nuke going off above the atmosphere would generate an EMP, and since it'd most likely be a nuke in the kiloton range, a small one at that.

A nuke destroyed (not detonated) in the atmosphere or above the atmosphere will rain isotopes on a fairly large area. Not just radioactive isotopes, but also highly poisonous ones. This may actually be worse than detonating it.

airborne laser

That's the best option. Blow the damn thing up over their soil.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 11:58:48 PM »
Originally posted by weaselsan
You would prefer maybe a nuclear explosion?

What goes up, has to come down as they say.  Nuclear explosion or aerial explosion.  Stop 'em before they can even launch the missile, that's the key.  Which is what we are trying to do now, yes?
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 07:26:09 AM »
As long as we have Jack Bauer, I`m not concerned.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 12:03:54 PM »
The THAAD missile system was designed by Lockheed Martin, and several company employees and system designers were on hand to witness the test.

Sorry.  Assumed it was more tests or tests of upgrades to this system

http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/21/news/story07.html

This system is already in limited use, and the navy is upgrading in several areas to bring more online.  We also installed some in Japan.

I saw the system you linked to was using X band radar and assumed it was related.  My fault for assuming.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I've actually seen this up close and person and in fact saw it take "first flight"  Too bad they have yet to integrate any of the laser components into the air frame yet.....this was as of about 6 months ago.

If they get the laser components into the airframe you saw, that would give them at least three operational, because I know they have at least two already. It was no state secret, they openly said they were sending two prototypes into the middle east to protect Israel from scuds when we went into Iraq the second time.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »
Pudding pops are high in fat and calories, you would be acused of a hate crime against the homeless.

:rofl
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
If they get the laser components into the airframe you saw, that would give them at least three operational, because I know they have at least two already. It was no state secret, they openly said they were sending two prototypes into the middle east to protect Israel from scuds when we went into Iraq the second time.

WOW,

I thought tail number 0001 was the only one.  I could be wrong but I don't think there's any more than the prototype.  Either way it is a cool concept.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »
Originally posted by zorch
Hmm, some guy with 8604 posts to a BBS or the father of modern chemistry.

Relax, the second ammendment will prevent any IQ test for potential voters.

Maybe, yeah. A hit with a nuke will kill a lot of people, destroy a lot of property, and scatter a lot of radioactive dust. A nuke that detonates up a few thousand feet higher will kill fewer people, and spread much less radioactive dust. A nuke going off above the atmosphere would generate an EMP, and since it'd most likely be a nuke in the kiloton range, a small one at that.

A nuke destroyed (not detonated) in the atmosphere or above the atmosphere will rain isotopes on a fairly large area. Not just radioactive isotopes, but also highly poisonous ones. This may actually be worse than detonating it.

That's the best option. Blow the damn thing up over their soil.

Nukes do not detonate on Impact....there's a VERY SPECIFIC sequence of events that must take place prior to deonation.  Perhaps you wicki link failed to explain this.  And just so you know most nerve agents can be burned up.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »
Guns,

He does have a point regarding fallout form the warhead even if there is no nuclear explosion. Blowing up the rocket in flight, going either direction, will be about the same as blowing up a "dirty bomb" wherever the explosion happens. Better to blow it up over their ground than towards the impact zone.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 09:30:16 PM »
The fallout from an intercepted nuclear missle wouldn't be too bad.  The U.S. did some airbursting of hydrogen bombs in the 50s.  Those didnt kill anybody.

In fact, theres really only a few places on Earth where radiation from nuclear weapons is too severe to habitate.  

So yeah, the radiation might be bad.  But I'm more worried about the million degree heat wave.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 09:52:26 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Guns,

He does have a point regarding fallout form the warhead even if there is no nuclear explosion. Blowing up the rocket in flight, going either direction, will be about the same as blowing up a "dirty bomb" wherever the explosion happens. Better to blow it up over their ground than towards the impact zone.

Not if it hit downtown LA or Tokyo.

This would have to be a commander on the ground's call.  Yes you might have widespread contamination but ask yourself how many would die from that vrs a direct hit on a major metropolitan area like LA or Seatle.  I am assuming of course that the warhead would be hit a good distance away from the target.  Besides I've heard time and time again from Bush haters that a dirty bomb is just fear mongering and it wouldn't really hurt the population to badly......

Another thing is he doesn't know too much about CHem Warfare.  While the dust cloud left over, if not vaporized, would linger and might find its way into a populated area chances are it would not have the concentration to be a major threat when it finally gets there.  Chem warheads need to be focused and concentrated to work properly.  This isnt 24 where one VX missle is going to knock out an entire city, the stuff needs a spread shot to be effective.  I should know I've taught NBC training the last 5 years.  

trolls like him can't have it both ways.  He starts off in a thread about an exciting new technology that could save millions of lives some day and the first things out of his halitosis hole are "So the Bouche administration"....... like this is some big Bush conspiracy.

We've been working on this for over a decade trying to perfect it for one reason and that is to protect a nation.  If a rogue nuke hit LA everyone would wonder WHY we havn't been putting more money and energy into these projects.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 10:48:05 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
We've been working on this for over a decade trying to perfect it for one reason and that is to protect a nation.  If a rogue nuke hit LA everyone would wonder WHY we havn't been putting more money and energy into these projects.

They'd whine if there was too much money put into for "no visible reason" and they'd whine if there wasn't enough put into it.  Pick the lesser of the 2 evils and go forit.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
I woundn't so much worry about North Korea as I would about Iran.

If anyone here has ever did time in the Military in Korea you know.

America is not Stupid.

Kim, Jong Il is seeking attention...happens 3 times a year.

Mac