Author Topic: Sideway Bombsight?  (Read 884 times)

Offline rikks

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.littlezoomers.com
Sideway Bombsight?
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »
Is the bombsight supposed to be sideways?

Also...

Can I steer the aircraft while in the bombadier position?

]R[

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »
a) no - but what plane where you in?

b) yes, in a limited way. you can make very gentle turns. Just push your stick left/right.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline rikks

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.littlezoomers.com
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
I was in a 26.

What on earth would cause it to be sideways?

Boy, I'm such a flamer.

I got all bent and closed the game.

I was just reading about the bombsight.

Designed for "area bombing"?

Yech.

That's one thing they did really, really well on Warbirds was the
sight.

Works great and you can stear with you feet (rudder/s).

So...

Why do you think the blasted thing was all ****-eyed?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
The bombsight here is extraordinary precise. Once properly calibrated, you canīt really miss. You are able to hit every target even from 30k. But DID you calibrate it? Sounds to me as if you didnīt, or you changed speed after calibration alot, or you did not leave calbration mode...

EDIT: I dont see much difference whether you use feet/rudder or joystick to steer left/right while in bombsight....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 07:29:02 PM by Lusche »

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »
It doesn't take lots of calibration experience to hit things and you can use your rudders while in the Nordon.

Hope this helps.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 12:04:19 AM »
press F6--goes to bombsight
press U---goes to calibration mode
hold down Y for at least 2 seconds--calibrates bombsight
press U again--exits calibration mode

This will "straighten out" the bomb sight.

Took me two weeks to figure out to exit calibration mode.  I wondered why I never hit what I was dropping on as the crosshairs passed over them.

I still can't hit anything, but I'm getting closer.

Oh yeah.  Remember to raise your flaps after you take off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:07:14 AM by AWwrgwy »
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 04:10:37 AM »
rikks,

If you enter calibration mode and move your stick around, this will move the bombsight/cross. Its a relict from a few patches ago, where you still had to keep cross on target to calibrate.

Buffs automatically go into autopilot if you hit F6. If you want to steer while in bombsight, use the rudder.

To calibrate:

- make sure youre already lined up on target, are level and have a constant speed. This is very important, as calibration will be made for your current speed and alt - if that changes untill you drop, your calibration will be off
- F6 to enter bombsight
- u to enter calibration mode
- hold y for as long as possible, good: 5 secs, 10 are better
- U to exit calibration mode (if you dont do that, youll have all sorts of "bugs" like no rightclick on map and other stuff, also your cross might be moved off center)
- double check your calibrated speed (in green on the left upper hand in bombsight) and your current indicated airspeed (E6B)
- drop

If you need to make small lineup adjustments before dropping, check your speed again. If its not exactly at calibrated speed anymore, youll need to lead or lag your drop a bit (how much is experience).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:13:35 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 04:14:48 AM »
You must calibrate it after that it is no longer sideways.

You can steer left/right but i think the plane always goes to lvl flight. Remember that the calibration is for a certain altitude, speed and direction so check e6b that the plane has correct speed and dont change the direction and alt to much.

I usually do a quick calibration to get it roughly set up then correct flight path, check for fighters and then calibrate again more throughly. Last year when i did bombing i was always spot on, but this may (last time i bombed with bombsite) i had trouble with being slightly of target... i dont know if that is caused by slow connection, bad calibration or some new feature that the bombs dont fly 100% straight anymore (which i would greatly appreciate, since the laser bombsite is strange).

In the MA is no wind, i think though that the bombite accounts for the wind at bombing alt, if there is diffrent wind set for altitudes below that the bombs miss. Not sure on the wind stuff though.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 04:53:53 AM »
Its not THAT easy to use! I have NEVER precisely hit a target. I always have to carpet bomb, and hope and pray.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
Its not THAT easy to use! I have NEVER precisely hit a target. I always have to carpet bomb, and hope and pray.

Check your speed Reynolds, you need to drop at your calibrated speed, or bombs will be off.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:34:42 AM »

Click on E6B early in your flight. Minimize clipboard without closing E6B. When in bombsight you can now always check your exact speed while hitting ESC. Also note that when your speed is ok but your altitude is not, you donīt have to go through the whole calibration sequence. Just tap two times on U and your calibrated altitude is correct again.
(I use this "feature" sometimes when flying the Ar 234. In my second bomb run Iīm always slower than calibrated because of hard turning. I just put my nose down  ītill E6B matches the calibrated speed. Then I level and hit U in bombsight twice. By this method I donīt have to go through the rather lengthy calibration process again.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:42:00 AM by Lusche »

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 08:01:44 AM »
Ahh i didnt know that alt calibration thing. And yes, autopilot sometimes lets your plane drop or climb for a bit. Thats why alt is sometimes off.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:18:52 PM »
My alttitude is ALWAYS perfectly steady! Its my speed that never levels out! WHAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 04:29:52 PM »
My alttitude is ALWAYS perfectly steady! Its my speed that never levels out!  

It takes a little TIME to get speed constant. Give yourself at least a sector (25 miles) for it - finish climbout and level off about 1.5 sectors out from target. Level, then get speed up for a bit. Now *throttle back* a bit - this will make your speed settle faster (check E6B!). After youre done avoid any and all dive/climb or hard manuver. get yourself into nose gunner position and use RUDDER to steer your buff formation with slight corrections on lineup. Calibrate when close to drop and DONT MANEUVER at all after calibrating (if you have to adjust flight path, recalibrate!).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Sideway Bombsight?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
It takes a little TIME to get speed constant. Give yourself at least a sector (25 miles) for it - finish climbout and level off about 1.5 sectors out from target. Level, then get speed up for a bit. Now *throttle back* a bit - this will make your speed settle faster (check E6B!). After youre done avoid any and all dive/climb or hard manuver. get yourself into nose gunner position and use RUDDER to steer your buff formation with slight corrections on lineup. Calibrate when close to drop and DONT MANEUVER at all after calibrating (if you have to adjust flight path, recalibrate!).

I might add that you open bay doors early before calibration, because they will cause a considerable loss in airspeed.