Author Topic: The most rewarding thing in AH;  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
The most rewarding thing in AH;
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:07:01 AM »
is seeing someone you have trained for months pick up on the game and start flying with skill and a decent knowledge of the game:)

reason that i randomly say this, is that there is so much talent in the community and on these boards, and hundreds of new guys every month, who could all use a hand, and would really appreciate any advise from more experienced players. recently, and well, most of the time really, you dont see many experienced players in the TA, other than the trainers and some of the regular TA helpers.

i see plenty of great players in the MA that to my knowledge have never really devoted any time to passing on the things they have learned, and it's a shame really, because some of us TA helpers would love to see some of you guys come by, because the TA isnt just about teaching kids how to raise their gear, but teaching every player of any skill level to do whatever they want, be it accurate bombing or really advanced ACM. some of the best fights i have EVER had have been with the trainers in the TA :)

so i was wondering if more people would stop by the TA for a bit each week or so, pass on what they have learned to players who need it, and complete the cycle.

you personally can up the skill level of the game and have great fun doing it, and i really urge a few more of you guys to get in there, or lend your ideas to posts in the H & T forum, because everyone's advise is helpful :)

all, hope to see a few more of you in there from time to time :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:43:14 AM »
I fully intend, when my skill level is sufficient, to spend time in the TA helping people who are newer than I am.  I've received an abundance of help and advice from several members already.  Special thanks to Simaril, Schatzi, and Ren for allowing me to observe his training session last night.

People like the aforementioned have upped my learning curve exponentially
and I'm learning something new every day.  Also the people or person that made the netaces site.  That's my bible now.

It's my opinion that overall this site has a higher ratio of decent people to jerks than anywhere else I've been on the net.  

Even now if I'm in the TA and someone needs a target or help with something I've learned I'm happy to help.  Kind of the pay it forward philosophy.

So, I'd say, aside from the thrill of flying and aircombat I'd say the most rewarding thing in AH is the good people.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:56:37 AM »
I have gone into the DA and TA with a couple of folks in the past and have watched them progress.   It is very rewarding.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »
You know, I try to help people out whenever they ask, but I always get this feeling in the back of my head that I am messing them up or teaching them bad habits.  I always throw in that disclaimer "but really, you should get in touch with a real trainer."

I've been trying to help out a squaddie lately, and he is improving quite a bit.  Basically I've just given him a few of the basic breaks, merges, and thoughts that he can build on as a foundation.

The problem is, when I try to explain something to him, I'm all about the "umms, errs, well's I dunno's how to say its"...  Then I go into the TA and tag along for a training session TC's giving a guy, and he has it down pat.  It's really amazing how some people just know this game inside out to such a degree that they can break down the most complicated things smoothly, and have it make sense to everyone the first time.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »
Originally posted by Vudak
You know, I try to help people out whenever they ask, but I always get this feeling in the back of my head that I am messing them up or teaching them bad habits.  I always throw in that disclaimer "but really, you should get in touch with a real trainer."

I've been trying to help out a squaddie lately, and he is improving quite a bit.  Basically I've just given him a few of the basic breaks, merges, and thoughts that he can build on as a foundation.

The problem is, when I try to explain something to him, I'm all about the "umms, errs, well's I dunno's how to say its"...  Then I go into the TA and tag along for a training session TC's giving a guy, and he has it down pat.  It's really amazing how some people just know this game inside out to such a degree that they can break down the most complicated things smoothly, and have it make sense to everyone the first time.

it doesnt matter, as long as you're helping them learn it's all good :)

as for what you teach them, just try and answer their questions and teach them what they feel they a poor at, that's the best way to start out, then you build on that:aok

oh, and dicho, im glad to hear you're enjoying it so much, and schatzi simaril and ren are certainly top notch players and people, you wont go wrong with them :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Mako15

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/mako12
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
I tell ya....people tell me i'm good....I dont really believe them....I think most pilots feel that way....every once in a while I pop into the Ta to practice something or the other...if you catch me there send me a howdy and if you've got a question...I'll do my best to help you out, you know me, I love to help out, cause I remember just how lost I was until I started flying with the 613th SOS

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:37:02 AM »
Any help is better than none, Vudak. No one dies, no one gets hurt, and therefore it doesn't matter if you're the best pilot or the worst, as long as you helped him. He won't know, and he won't care, because he'll be better off than he was before. :aok
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:19:47 AM »
Nice post    Major Biggles :aok   ( that "pay it forward" mentality was instilled in alot of us early on)

Vudak, you are far too modest of your capabilities.......biggest thing is being able to figure out where you need to start with someone, that is why you give them a check flight first and tell them to give it all they got in trying to knock you out......from here you can tell quickly what they can/can not do, what they know/don't know.....and if they even have their views set up correctly, or stick set right.........from this point it is like 2nd nature..............give it a try.........;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 06:35:24 AM »
I agree this is a really nice post:D,  and very true. I was in the Ta the other day helping some folks, and even though i pretty much suck i guess i knew enough to help. :) I think it's a great thing, you have more fun the more you know how to play, (this game especially). People have helped me so it's nice to return the favor. I owe alot of grattitude to alot of people, Murdr, Widewing, Ren particularly. Joining the 479th Raiders has also helped too. Some of the best fights i've ever had have been in the Ta.  :aok

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 07:50:54 AM »
anyone who asks for help is weak and no one likes a weak person.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:04:12 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
anyone who asks for help is weak and no one likes a weak person.

lazs

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Re: The most rewarding thing in AH;
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:05:27 AM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles

i see plenty of great players in the MA that to my knowledge have never really devoted any time to passing on the things they have learned

And how exactly do you know that?

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/yoshimbo/
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 09:26:29 AM »
as sson as i get my subscription and get used to the MA style of fighting (and once i actually get good at fighting) i very much intend to go into the TA at least once before i enter MA and after, to see if i can't hlp sumone or give em a few pointers.:D

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 09:38:33 AM »
Originally posted by Mako15
I tell ya....people tell me i'm good....I dont really believe them....I think most pilots feel that way....every once in a while I pop into the Ta to practice something or the other...if you catch me there send me a howdy and if you've got a question...I'll do my best to help you out, you know me, I love to help out, cause I remember just how lost I was until I started flying with the 613th SOS

Quit flattering yourself. :D :cool:
People tell me im good.;)
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:33:12 PM »
If you can't figure out what I am doing by fighting me in the MA then you don't deserve to know.

I teach scores of people every day I am in the MA.

lazs