Author Topic: The most rewarding thing in AH;  (Read 1680 times)

Offline JB28

• Copper Member
The most rewarding thing in AH;
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
Laz,

did you go to school or are you self taught?

IMHO...teaching and better yet, having someone willing to give thier time to teach others is one of the bests gifts that one could give or receive.  I, for one, do not think that someone that does not have knowledge or skill is a weakness.  

Those who are not willing to share their knowledge and/or skill are the weak ones.  

Since we are not all inventors, I do believe that we owe thanks to someone else that "taught or shared thier talent" with us.  unless you are the one that invented the computer/internet/ and this BBS.  in that case we are eternally grateful to you.  (But we all know that Al Gore invented the internet, so that couldn't be you!):D

That would be my $.02 worth.  

always  <>

JB28

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 03:03:47 PM »
well, you can roll up your sleeves and help the competition perform better so the fights are more interesting, or belittle them and whine about "fluffers and tool shedders".

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
Originally posted by JB28
Laz,

did you go to school or are you self taught?

IMHO...teaching and better yet, having someone willing to give thier time to teach others is one of the bests gifts that one could give or receive.  I, for one, do not think that someone that does not have knowledge or skill is a weakness.  

Those who are not willing to share their knowledge and/or skill are the weak ones.  

Since we are not all inventors, I do believe that we owe thanks to someone else that "taught or shared thier talent" with us.  unless you are the one that invented the computer/internet/ and this BBS.  in that case we are eternally grateful to you.  (But we all know that Al Gore invented the internet, so that couldn't be you!):D

That would be my $.02 worth.  

always  <>

JB28

Maybe 2 cents worth of advice but that was 200 dollars worth of estrogen. This whole thread sounds like it came from Phil Donahue.
Don't get me wrong you guys that want to help others get better in the game is great. Good on you, but it's getting a little thick.:O

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline JB28

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »
Don't know about teaching someone anything worth while.  (maybe how to get killed and re-up........the readers digest condensed version):D :D

or better yet, how to hit the Ground with 100% accuracy.:aok

Just thankful for those who can and do!

<>28

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:50 PM »
Originally posted by Booz
well, you can roll up your sleeves and help the competition perform better so the fights are more interesting, or belittle them and whine about "fluffers and tool shedders".

Booz, you said it buddy!
:aok

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »
Ive tried to help some people but realized I have far too many bad habits and probably hurt them more than help.  I have no idea how to tell someone how I fly. Its like a spastic reaction to what the other guy is doing most times. Which is no way to teach someone how to fly in my opinion.

If there were 3 areas Id tell a guy what to work on it would be these:

1. Gunnery.

2. Fly one plane long enough to know its weakness/strengths against all others.

3. Learning to ride the edge of blackouts and stalls.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 03:46:14 PM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »
4. look around every 10 seconds while not engaged, more often when in the thick of it

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »
The only bad habit is teaching them exactly how to fight. Things like gunnery, ettiquette, backing off the throttle,  using the tools within the game (dot commands, strat system, communication, E6B, plane strengths and weaknesses)... that's what I see lacking in the MA's newer players.

I'd wager 9 out of 10 guys are already itching to find a bad guy and pull the trigger. I remember when I first started in AH (barely)... I already knew deflection shooting, understood gunnery even though I wasn't anywhere near proficient, had a rough idea of which planes would turn, and which went fast... I just didn't know how to make all of them do those things on cue. I, and maybe I'm the oddball here, didn't need or want anyone to teach me things like BnZ, energy conservation, split esses, etc. I just needed some inkling as to how to fly. I knew once I could get and stay airborne, I'd start figuring the rest out. For me at least, gradually learning, making steady, albeit slow, progress over the years was what kept me interested. Since I started playing cartoon airplane games (Aces Over Europe, then Jane's WW2 Fighters, then the big online world of AW3ish, to AH1, to present) I have maybe 2 hours of formal training, yet I've had fun almost the entire time. There's something to be said for not being fixated on goals in a game, IMO.

Not to venture off topic too much, but I'm more concerned with having an arena full of guys who won't engage without an enormous advantage, and guys who just grab buffs and level everything from 1000' because they couldn't sort out the basics, than having an arena full of hapless noobs who just shoot wildly and auger when ever frightened. At least those hapless noobs are having fun.

Anyway, I think I'll have a beer.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:50:37 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 11:31:27 PM »
Hubs, some have a natural knack & just need the game control specifics, others are joe military channel and need a lot of help (as you've seen I'm sure). Last week I spent 40 mins coaxing a guy into CV landings... any time you can spend helping the new guys can only benefit all of us. It sure beats whining about how they can't fly and calling them names like fluffer.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 12:21:32 AM »
Yeah, but at the same time, shooting the guys like Lazs down was part of what made hacking away at it rewarding for me. It may have taken a while, but I'm just that sort of personality I guess. I'd rather look at a drawing and tinker with it than read a proper a manual.

Hell, I still enjoy shooting Lazs down, and I haven't improved in years.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 12:32:43 AM »
The most rewarding thing in AH (Returning to the topic) is shooting down LKS... I'm sorry, but it is my little weakness.

I spend every Tuesday for at least an hour in the T.A. and a lot of times LKS is in there trying to help new guys too.  And I'm not knocking him for that :D

What makes me like shooting him is that he likes to talk about how good he is at evading hits..  He's a competent pilot, but its not like he is Luke Skywalker.. Burnin his plane full of holes brings me big joy.  BIG JOY.  Any M.A. kill against him brings my squad to hysterics.

Anyhow, I encourage my squad to spend 1 night a week in T.A.  We try to help, or learn as we can, and sometimes we pick up a recruit.  If no one teaches the newb's then some day there won't be any.

The Clowns are taught from Day 1 that you get from this game exactly what you are willing to give.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 01:49:57 AM »
Every one here is in the right state of mind, we need more people helping other people.Some of us enjoy showing the new cadets basics by going into the TA for a bit.Others like Laz show them by action in "live fire " setting kind of a sink or swim situation, which most players respond well to while others may find it frustrating,  the only real difference between those 2 styles is laz isn't telling them what they are doing wrong or right and they are having to figure it out on there own.There is nothing wrong with the sink or swim style of teaching and i am not in any way holding anything against Laz for that.

The basic things we all can do upon entering the TA.

1.Upon entering the Training Arena switch Vox channel to 101(101 is the default channel) and those with squad highlight's enabled will be able to tell who the cadets are.Tune to the #6 help channel as well.

2.Make sure the cadets can communicate, type is the first version they will learn, if the cadets have a Mic then you teach them voice communication by means of Range vox and Tunable vox(some players have a hard time understanding tunable vox)while range vox is the easiest for the cadet to learn.

3.Find out what they are using for controls, mouse, joystick, etc.

4.Get them up and flying.

It is roughly as TC put it, once you find out how much they know you go from there.I spend alot of my time in the TA anymore because all you really find in the MA is not like it use to be.I feel if these new cadets are getting a boost over the learning(curve) hump then it will make for better fights in the MA and other arena's.I also tell the new cadets about help sites such as http://www.netaces.org, the Bulletin Board, etc.

There are quite a bit of new players coming in daily some of you might even be surprised how many new pilots are actually coming in per day.I wonder if they can track that?how many new accounts from legitimet ISP's come into Aces High everyday.

That's my .02 cents hope to see more of you in there<<>>

Offline 1337D00D

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 02:49:37 AM »
I will come into the TA and help people be awesome like me.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 07:58:05 AM »
See Rule #5, #4
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:28:22 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
See Rule #5, #4

Laz is a completely self taught master of all he survey's...

Someone taught you what you know Laz..

Originally posted by lazs2
See Rule #5, #4

Dunno, but you sure are spending a lot of time doing it anyhow...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:29:04 PM by Skuzzy »
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'