Author Topic: Maple Leafs land Peca  (Read 103 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Maple Leafs land Peca
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
Michael Peca, an unrestricted free-agent who spent last season with the Edmonton Oilers, signed a one-year contract worth $2.5 million US with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday

Peca, a 32-year-old Toronto native, earned $3.99 million US with the Oilers.

"I have wanted to play for this organization my whole life," Peca said. "The demands of playing on this stage, I enjoy that.

"You're coming to play on Broadway every Saturday night. As a player, that's what you thrive for.

"It really doesn't have much to do with Edmonton, the city or the fans," he continued. "In fact, it was probably one of the greatest places I've played in.

"[But] if you're used to a certain travel schedule in the East, it's a tough adjustment. And it was for me.

"Being away from family for those road trips is tough. The travel in the Western Conference is tough."

The Maple Leafs opted to pursue Peca rather than re-sign fellow free-agent forwards Jason Allison or Eric Lindros, who signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.

"What we are adding now is some real solid two-way play and a guy that's really going to help us be a harder team to play against and I think that's the bottom line for us," Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson said. "We're going to be younger, quicker and play a more up-tempo style."

One of the NHL's finest defensive forwards and open-ice hitters in the game, Peca is also a gifted penalty-killer and faceoff man who has demonstrated excellent leadership skills on the ice.

"Being a Toronto kid goes without saying how big this is," Peca said. "But it goes deeper than that.

"My willingness to play in Toronto goes beyond being from Toronto. It's recognizing an organization that prides itself on wanting to win and really taking every step necessary where they see fit to try to provide that for the fans."

Peca plucky in playoffs

Peca sparkled in the playoffs this spring, registering six goals and 11 points with a plus-5 rating in 24 games as the Oilers reached the Stanley Cup finals before falling in seven games to the Carolina Hurricanes.

He recorded nine goals and 23 points with a minus-4 rating in 71 regular-season contests, his lowest output since the 1994-95 season.

"It was just a case where I was coming off not playing for a season [because of the NHL lockout]," Peca said. "I really did not know to prepare myself, almost.

"But as time went on, with meetings and discussions, we figured out what would need to be done for me to help the team and we did figure that out. But unfortunately, it took longer than we all liked."

Drafted in the second round (40th overall) by Vancouver in 1992, Peca has totalled 160 goals and 394 points with a plus-71 rating in 693 games over 11 NHL seasons with the Canucks, Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders and Oilers.

Peca, a two-time Selke Trophy winner for defensive excellence, also helped Team Canada win a gold medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Winter Games.

c&p

Well this is a move in the right direction for the Leafs...WTFG!:aok

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Maple Leafs land Peca
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »
Watch out for flying tuna cans.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member