Author Topic: Shark attacks and the media  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Shark attacks and the media
« on: September 04, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
Just a question:  Why has the Mainstream Media focused on just the increased number of shark attacks and have not focused on the severe restrictions against fishing for them along the coast of the Eastern seaboard?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
You know, I've asked that same question.

10 years ago (or so) the limit on sharks in FL was changed from unlimited, to 2 per boat.  I've yet to see a single person admit on television or in print that this may have some part in the increased number of sharks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
It's the sunblock - SPF 30 and up give sharks the munchies....

I'd like to see the attacks compared to time of day, baitfish activity in the area, what jewlery the victim may have had on, tide & moon phase,etc.. some real underlying facts instead of just the hysteria. After all, we are in their neighborhood, they are not in ours.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2001, 09:38:00 AM »
Or maybe they haven't really increased, but rather the media is making it seem like it is.  Sharks attack people all the damn time.  The media is bored, and they needed something to scare people with during the summer time.
COMING SOON THIS FALL!!!  WHEN BIRDS GO WILD!!!
Flying south for the winter....or to kill?  :rolleyes:
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
LOL Super, you are correct, I always say to the wife "Must be a slow news day..."

I had a school of barracuda following me around in the keys while snorkeling..figured out it was the chrome rim around my antique mask...I left when one or two of the tried a head on with me...never encountered a shark while snorkeling off Boca Raton or the keys..

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
Actually there is a DECREASE in attacks worldwide this year.

Last year there were 87 shark attacks, this year something like 46.

When that little boy in Florida had his arm bitten off by a shark, the real sharks(the media) pounced on it and said, there's a story here.  As usual, they enhance the drama of everything and take it to the nth degree. From that point they report every single bite. Not just the big bites, but even little nibbles.

Man gets a leg hair RIPPED FROM THE FLESH by a rogue shark!

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
There is a general increase though, from being a suprise in Florida to have a single bite in a year to being pleased it's under 50 compared to last year?

And I can't remember the last time a Florida beach was actually closed due to sharks.  Like the media or not, that's news.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Yep, it's all about selling newspapers.  I wonder how many people were kill or injured DRIVING to the beach, the day of the shark attack....
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
(* as he looks at the 2 1/2 inch, 50,000,000 year old sharks tooth fossil he has mounted on his wall behind glass, he wonders to himself *) ... gee, I hope all the caring human beings in the world don't find a way to kill off all these creatures, too ... dang shame about all those shark attacks, though ... but then, I guess, if you swim in the shark's back yard, you deserve what you get ... you know if that baby (* referring to the shark that belonged to the fossil tooth *) were still alive we'd be missing whole people, not just body parts ... sigh ...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Bud, sharks have something like 3 million billion trillion gallons of ocean to swim in, if we just fished 'em off the coast within 1 mile where alot of folks have been consumed, there will be plenty around for the PITA folks to hug after.  :)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
I'd like to see the attacks compared to time of day, baitfish activity in the area, what jewlery the victim may have had on, tide & moon phase,etc..

Let me know when tnhey figure it out so I can send a special friend to the beach, they might just show up at the right time.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
The resort industry should sponsor a shark derby.
Say $10,000 for the biggest, $1,000 for the biggest of any particular breed, $2,000 for the most caught. Must be caught within 2 miles of shore.
Sounds like great fun

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
Damn.. I thought the title of this thread was "Sharks attack the media".  I wouldn't have minded reading about that... though "Sharks attack lawyers" would have been better.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
BTW... sharks have a long life span and are pretty much at the top of their food chain.  The contribute litte except to clean up dead/dieing fish and maybe even keep the population of some types of school fish down (as well as seals).

Barring some kind of Star Trek 4 scenario, why would we want schools of sharks roaming about... I mean... why such drastic limits on fishing/hunting them?

Extinction is not the issue... I mean really... any gill laden aquatic ocean creature is going to be able to survive man providing there insn't a complete poisoning of the ocrean.  I'm pretty sure they'll be able to handle people with fishing poles.

AKDejaVu

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
Superfly wrote:
Or maybe they haven't really increased, but rather the media is making it seem like it is. Sharks attack people all the damn time

What!!! then why would it be news?

then Fscott..
Actually there is a DECREASE in attacks worldwide this year.
Last year there were 87 shark attacks, this year something like 46.

You be a providing a cite matey?

I say its God's retrebution for the good people of FloriDUH...

Heheheh jk its the baitfish ban. Stupid ban.. when did they start doing that?
10B

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: 10Bears ]