Author Topic: Thrustmaster Rudder Pedal Spring  (Read 819 times)

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Thrustmaster Rudder Pedal Spring
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:51:48 PM »
Anyone have a source for the torsion spring used in the Thrustmaster Rudder Control System (RCS)?

I've come up empty on a search for replacement springs.

Tks in advance.....

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »
Hit an auto parts store. Your looking for carburetor return springs. Take your old spring and match'um up.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
Tks Nopoop but I've never seen a carb return spring look like this.  The torsion used in this setup is a single coil....  

Picture a plane at point A... does a complete loop and continues to point B.

That is about what this spring looks like.  MUCH heavier than any carb spring that I've seen.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:42:26 PM »
lol he said "thrustmaster".........i guess that goes hand an hand wit joystick
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline ujustdied

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »
Originally posted by bagrat
lol he said "thrustmaster".........i guess that goes hand an hand wit joystick

ya ya ya shut up bevis lol

lol J/K

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
The old "Big" pedals? I had a source. I actually bought a pack of 4 of them over the past 14 years and just used the last one. I also went thru 3 TM pedals. I just wore em out. I'll see if I can find the source and let you know.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 10:23:53 PM »
can someone describe the springs?  I work in the industrial manufacturing world and I might be able to find something similar or suitable and possibly get a sample :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:50:36 PM »
Back when I had thrustmaster I bought a K&S wire bender from the hobby store to make springs like this and it saved me the trouble of doing it again because the first time I changed it fixed it for good. I bet there are cheaper sources for a bender though. Its just piano wire or something similar and about 3/16" or a little bigger like 4 or 5 mm.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 10:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
The old "Big" pedals? I had a source. I actually bought a pack of 4 of them over the past 14 years and just used the last one. I also went thru 3 TM pedals. I just wore em out. I'll see if I can find the source and let you know.

Tks Ren !   Yes it is the BIG pedals....

I've been through about 4 or 5 springs over the years but I could always get them through Thrustmaster... but since the French company bought them it has been an exercise is futility.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
can someone describe the springs?  I work in the industrial manufacturing world and I might be able to find something similar or suitable and possibly get a sample :)

I misspoke.....

It makes two coils...    the thickness of the steel is about the thickness of a the mouse cord.. (I know all mouse cords are not equal.. LOL)   If it weren't pouring outside I'd go out to the garage and get the micrometer and measure this thing.....

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 08:10:35 AM »
Which reminds me I also bought 10 potentiometers for the RCS at $1.20 each. The shaft is splined like the original but is about an 1/8 longer. It still plugs into the gear with no issues and has the same pot values as the OEM part. I'm pretty sure I can dig those up if ya need one.

I just got home from work and will begin my search for the website for the springs after I get a lil sleep.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Tks Ren !   Yes it is the BIG pedals....

I've been through about 4 or 5 springs over the years but I could always get them through Thrustmaster... but since the French company bought them it has been an exercise is futility.

HAHAHAHAHAHA a french company bought thrustcrapper HAHAHAH serves um both right

mmmm a little cold justice in the afternoon tastes good
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 04:06:19 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
I misspoke.....

It makes two coils...    the thickness of the steel is about the thickness of a the mouse cord.. (I know all mouse cords are not equal.. LOL)   If it weren't pouring outside I'd go out to the garage and get the micrometer and measure this thing.....

take a picture of it and give me approximate dimensions
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 06:37:11 PM »
Soup,

I did a quick search and found reference to some guy who had some made and was selling them, but it was from several years ago.

I suggest to try the forums at Cougar World:

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/

There are a lot of TM users there.  I bet someone there can offer a lead, or help.  There is a guy who makes a hall sensor mod for the RCS (Cub Pilot) that posts on these boards.

I would search a bit more, but I am off to pack for a week vacation at the airshow in Oshkosh with Grimm and Crash :)

Good Luck

Gunner
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:39:14 PM by GunnerCAF »
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 08:29:52 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Which reminds me I also bought 10 potentiometers for the RCS at $1.20 each. The shaft is splined like the original but is about an 1/8 longer. It still plugs into the gear with no issues and has the same pot values as the OEM part. I'm pretty sure I can dig those up if ya need one.

I just got home from work and will begin my search for the website for the springs after I get a lil sleep.

Ren,

I would be willing to purchase a pot as well as the spring !  Get your beauty sleep first tho... I'm not going anywhere !  :rolleyes: