Author Topic: Death to Ameerika....  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
Several thousand people massed outside the building in downtown Beirut chanting "Death to Israel, death to America. We sacrifice our blood and souls for Lebanon."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060730/wl_nm/mideast_lebanon_headquarters_dc

Absolutely wonderous bunch.  They are so ignorant, they have no clue the US has no desire to see this situation get worse.  It's better for us if it ends.  Top that off with the novel approach that maybe they might not be in such a bad state if they did not support terrorists (whose sole motive is the destruction of Israel).  They should get their army to get off their pathetic arses (half of whom probably are members of Hezbollah) and disarm hezbollah, and hell, they might not be in the situation they are in.  

Dumb arses seem to forget who was the catylst in this recent round of arse whooping.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:07:13 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
They are so ignorant, they have no clue the US has no desire to see this situation get worse.

I wonder where they got that idea...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/14/AR2006071401785.html
sand

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/14/AR2006071401785.html

LOL, quoting the Washington Post...  oh wait, I forgot it was Sandy.

As I said before, it does not behoove us to allow this thing to continue andget out of control.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »

Yea all my buddies in beruit read the washington post.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
It doesn't matter what is done...  

so might as well be damned for it...

:aok

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 04:00:17 PM »
LOL, quoting the Washington Post...  oh wait, I forgot it was Sandy.

As I said before, it does not behoove us to allow this thing to continue andget out of control.

So you dislike the Washington Post. It's really beside the point.

Bush Rejects Lebanon's Call for Cease-Fire

How many days before the U.S. called for a cease fire?

Seems to me that Bush and Blair were quite content to let Israel blow the **** of southern Lebanon. What's changed?
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 04:08:11 PM »
Here's an honest question.

After 9/11, we determined that the Taliban government of Afghanistan was harboring the terriorists responsible, Al Qaeda. We decided to remove that government and most of the world supported us in doing so, some militarily.

Shift to Lebanon.

The government of Lebanon has members of a universally decried terrorist organization, Hezbollah, in the Parliament. Hezbollah has ~ 14 of 128 seats in the Lebanese Parliament.

The government of Lebanon can certainly be said to be harboring terrorists and it has done nothing to prevent Hezbollah from attacking Israel from Lebanese territory.

Why then is the world not supporting Israel like it mostly supported the US operation to remove Afghanistan's Taliban government?

Follow up questions. If Israel announced it was invading Lebanon with the intention of removing the government and replacing it with one that did not harbor terrorists (as in US v Taliban) would they get support? If not, why not?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Here's an honest question.

After 9/11, we determined that the Taliban government of Afghanistan was harboring the terriorists responsible, Al Qaeda. We decided to remove that government and most of the world supported us in doing so, some militarily.

Shift to Lebanon.

The government of Lebanon has members of a universally decried terrorist organization, Hezbollah, in the Parliament. Hezbollah has ~ 14 of 128 seats in the Lebanese Parliament.

The government of Lebanon can certainly be said to be harboring terrorists and it has done nothing to prevent Hezbollah from attacking Israel from Lebanese territory.

Why then is the world not supporting Israel like it mostly supported the US operation to remove Afghanistan's Taliban government?

Follow up questions. If Israel announced it was invading Lebanon with the intention of removing the government and replacing it with one that did not harbor terrorists (as in US v Taliban) would they get support? If not, why not?

Short answer?  Because Israel is a Jewish state, and sad as it is, old habits and misconceptions die hard.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
President Bush said Sunday the United States "mourns the loss of innocent life" and that all parties with a stake in the Mideast conflict "must work together to achieve a sustainable peace."

Bush said the United States is resolved to work with members of the Security Council to draw up "a resolution that will enable the region to have a sustainable peace," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/30/mideast.main/index.html

So where is it that Bush says he is ok with Israel making Southern and Northern Lebanon a parking lot?  Are you reading into things Sandy?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 05:52:36 PM »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/30/mideast.main/index.html

So where is it that Bush says he is ok with Israel making Southern and Northern Lebanon a parking lot?  Are you reading into things Sandy?

It's not what he said. It's what he didn't say for over two weeks.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »
Sandman, will you take a stab at answering my question upthread?

Why doesn't the world view this incident the same way they viewed 9/11 & the Afghanistan invasion?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Sandman, will you take a stab at answering my question upthread?

Why doesn't the world view this incident the same way they viewed 9/11 & the Afghanistan invasion?

Well... I honestly don't know. Your points are valid. But... I'll nibble at your hook with some weak theories. ;)

Maybe it's the lack of history that the U.S. had against Afghanistan. We clearly had nothing against them. In fact, IIRC we even supported the Taliban at one time. The same cannot be said for Israel and its neighbors. It seems that Israel is always at war.

From what I've read, the government of Lebanon was powerless to stop Hezbollah. I'm not sure the same could be said of the relationship between Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 07:23:21 PM »
The same cannot be said for Israel and its neighbors. It seems that Israel is always at war.
[/b]

Well, yes.  Wars in 1948–49, 1956, 1967, 1973–74, and 1982 between Israel and the Arab states. While in some the Israelis struck preemptively, I don't recall any that weren't Arab driven.

Not to mention the unending smaller scale conflict. Once again, it's usually not the Israelis that start something without provocation, this latest round a case in point.

From what I've read, the government of Lebanon was powerless to stop Hezbollah. I'm not sure the same could be said of the relationship between Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

How so? Lebanon has a 70,000 man army. The Taliban figuratively gave the world the middle digit when called on A-Q. Has there been any condemnation of Hezbollah's acts from the Lebanese Parliament?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Death to Ameerika....
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 07:24:14 PM »
Well... I honestly don't know. Your points are valid. But... I'll nibble at your hook with some weak theories. ;)

Maybe it's the lack of history that the U.S. had against Afghanistan. We clearly had nothing against them. In fact, IIRC we even supported the Taliban at one time. The same cannot be said for Israel and its neighbors. It seems that Israel is always at war.

I'll grant you that the government of Lebanon was unabale to control Hezbolla. Unless the truth is really that they were unwilling to do so then why didn't they offer support to Israel in defeating Hezbollah when the fighting started?