Author Topic: F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 12:06:52 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why are we needing BuNos on the F4Us?

Seems like there is enough photo evidence for these birds out there to support the skins.

Here's Marine's Dream from the Osprey Corsair Aces.  Tail, or what's left of it sure looks single lighter color.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:11 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman

Also, if anyone else knows of a Bent Winged Bird they'd like to see let me know (and get me pics).

I was looking through Osprey's Corsair Aces of WW2...  It's really a shame we don't have the 1A...  Such great skins.

Of the ones featured in there (I assume you have it, if not I can scan one in tomorrow), the skin I'd like to see is the:

F4U-1D white 66 of Ens Alfred Lerch, VF-10, USS Intrepid , April 1945...  It's plate #50...  I'm really a fan of the darker birds, myself.

Anyway, in regards to that link Dan posted...  I'm gonna go digging through it myself tomorrow.  Do you want to get organized in doing this, so maybe we could cover it in half the time?  Let me know.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
BuNo's
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 01:21:46 AM »
Ok,

I've looked at Baugher's page, read through about 5 different books, even looked at some after action reports to try and find the numbers.  About the only thing I can think of that hasn't been tried by me is to contact the Naval History Archives.  I'm sure some historians, like the Osprey folks, have already tried that to get the numbers.  But, it could be worth a shot.  The only catch might be finding a microfiche machine to read the records on.
I have found some numbers that Baugher didn't have on his site on other sites, so all hope may not be lost...

Good Luck Sax

p.s.  Guppy, I think he's just interested in putting them on the tail, not doubting the history of the planes/skins...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2006, 02:12:55 AM »
Stoney hit it, I'm primarily wanting to put them on the tail.

I WOULD also like them for verification, especially in the case of the planes where I can't find anything more than decal sheets or color plates.

I ran across that site while doing a yahoo search. It doesn't have much in the way of Corsairs to begin with. Doesn't have Ramblin' Wreck, and none of the three from VF-17.

Vudak: Yeah, I'll need you to post some scans. I really should pick that book up. I REALLY hope that HTC adds the late-1944 1A we've been screaming for when they update the Hogs. I mean there's about a dozen known Jolly Rogers skins ALONE, plus all the other USN and USMC birds (so does anyone think HTC would allow Lulu/Lucybelle ;) ).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2006, 08:15:28 AM »
This is the only scan I have at the moment.  I've included FF59 (a plane we already have) just to show the difference in color, although I do realize that these Osprey books don't always get it right.

I was trying to look for a Corsair skin that is alittle different then what we have, but this was the best I could come up with from this book (disregarding the -1A's, which seem to make up most of the plates).  There's only so much you can do with different shades of blue :)

Anyway, I know this isn't enough information to start working on it, but I figure it should at least give you an idea as to whether or not it's something you're interested in doing.  It does seem to be darker then the Corsair skins we already have.

Edit, here's a prefab model (I know, poor source, but this is my first try at getting anything) giving an idea what the top of the wings MAY have looked like :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:23:40 AM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »
Looks interesting. I think I'll give her a whirl.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 10:42:18 PM »
White 66 of VF-10

I'm already working on fixing the white on the tail. The stripe on the wing has its own problems, however.

Whoever mapped the Corsair models quite frankly did a bit of a shoddy job of it. The upper and lower surfaces of the ailerons for both the -1 and -1D (not sure about the 1C or 4) actually intrude on each other, which is why in my tricolor F4U-1s if you look at them from below the Sea Blue of the upper surface of the port wing overlaps part of the the bottom of the starboard aileron (in the case of the -1, the front half of the cowl lip is ALSO incorrectly mapped, and the cowl flaps on the -1D look distorted in some places, particularly underneath).

So, I can either run the stripe the full length from leading to trailing edge where it will cut into the opposite aileron, or I have to shorten it.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2006, 01:56:13 AM »
Looks good--make sure to make it GLOSSY...I want to be able to shave in the cowl reflection

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2006, 08:38:44 AM »
How would I set that up?

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
From Krusty and Kev, they keep talking about the materials file.  There are settings in there that impact the lighting on the skin--like how reflective or flat it is when the sun reflects off the wings, etc.  Kev suggested for a flat materials file, we could just copy one of the Spit defaul materials files, or for glossy, use the default materials file from a P-38L

I haven't tried it yet, because I'm still laying out skins and am not ready for the tweaking stage.  You, on the other hand have a nice little group ready for tweaking it seems.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »
So, get the material file from the P-38L, rename it as necessary, and put it in the folder with the skin?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2006, 12:50:25 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm already working on fixing the white on the tail. The stripe on the wing has its own problems, however.

Wow! You skinners never cease to amaze me.  If I were to try making one, it would take me probably four months to make something that doesn't even come close to what you all can do in a few hours :)

I can't wait until this one gets in the game...  Now not only can I pretend I'm flying around a Corsair in WW2, but I can ALSO pretend I'm Mario Lemieux flying a Corsair around in WW2.  Fantasy world overload, here, folks :D

Many thanks, Saxman!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2006, 02:12:24 PM »
I just used the skin templates from the ahskins.com or whichever (I'm at work, and can't look at my Favorites) :D

But thank you.

Any other requests?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2006, 06:47:20 PM »
White 435 of VMF-225

This one is from the rear to better show the tail markings, which ARE just readable.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2006, 12:17:11 AM »
Well crud, I just realized we already have the VMF-225 bird.

Ah well, I like mine better. :D

Anyway, here's another REAL new one. White 93 of VMF-214.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:41:28 AM by Saxman »