Author Topic: 10 years of PC games....  (Read 327 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
10 years of PC games....
« on: January 09, 2002, 08:44:00 PM »
http://www.theofficersclub.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000062.html

Just imagine what they'll be like in another 5 years...

Mind boggling!
-SW

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 10:35:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this lately, and every time I do, I end up being ticked pink at the thought of where PC games will be in my lifetime.  We'll see photorealistic games within the next decade... hell, we're close now -  who knows where it will go from there?  We'll have flight sims where nobody can squeak about the flight model, because the world and the airplanes will be built in the computer for real, we'll be able to land in Normandy and actually be able to see what it was like... gives me goose flesh... will games become so real that they stop being fun, and start being scary?

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2002, 08:12:00 AM »
Yup...I'm waiting for my own "Holi-deck"!

Offline K West

• Silver Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2002, 08:20:00 AM »
:)   I see my son on the PII 333 playing his Playstation and PC games on it and I wonder if he'll remember it as fondly as I do the times I spent with an Atari set plugged onto the back of the 19" TV to play PONG and table tennis?

Westy

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2002, 09:06:00 AM »
Remeber those little block football guys with their little stubby legs? Hehe...use to just marvel at the cool games on my Atari!

First computer I ever programmed was an Atari 400....with 8K of memory...not 8Meg. Used a cassette deck for data backup. I jumped up to the Atari 800 soon after...with 32K of memory.....thought I was at the top of the home computer world. The games were actually not too bad on that machine.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2002, 10:04:00 AM »
heh, and before that (and ataris) it was all text based stuff.  WOW!   ;)

hehe, one of my favorite things in Computer Gaming World is where they show covers from 5, 10, and 15 years ago for their mag.  It's pretty spiffy.   :)

Hmm, I used to chat on a message board with one of the guys that does reviews for CGW...  They should do online niche sims.   ;)  Specifically Aces High!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2002, 10:29:00 AM »
That was my first computer too, bought it in '81 or '82. Mine had 16k of RAM though and a tape drive. 10 minutes to load Zaxxon. Amazing how those simple games like River Raid, Star Raiders, Centipede, Pitfall!, etc... could be so captivating.

Upgraded to a C64 a year later, 64K of RAM, who would ever need more?

Originally posted by Tah Gut:
Remeber those little block football guys with their little stubby legs? Hehe...use to just marvel at the cool games on my Atari!

First computer I ever programmed was an Atari 400....with 8K of memory...not 8Meg. Used a cassette deck for data backup. I jumped up to the Atari 800 soon after...with 32K of memory.....thought I was at the top of the home computer world. The games were actually not too bad on that machine.

;)   ;)   ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2002, 10:34:00 AM »
Forgot to mention, sold the Atari 400 20 years ago, bought another on ebay a couple of years ago. Just an old sentimental slob.   ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2002, 10:43:00 AM »
Star Raiders!!!! I was trying to remember that one! I thought the graphics on that game were great at the time. I used to get bored and blow up the Mother Ship (instead of refueling). I think you are right about the 16k, I upgraded to 32K, and I think it cost about $100.   :cool:

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Tah Gut ]

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2002, 10:48:00 AM »
I would play River Raid and Pitfall for hours!  The best games of their time =]
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
10 years of PC games....
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2002, 11:01:00 AM »
Brazos on that forum mentions a GeForce4 with 128MB memory.......I can't wait for the time where I will need a card like that to run a game. My wife sure would want me to wait but I can't.

:D
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"