Author Topic: Questions about everyday scenarios  (Read 326 times)

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Questions about everyday scenarios
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »
I have some interesting questions I have not yet seen answered.

Question number 1:
You have just finished off the last of a huge furball, you are low and slow, you glance down and realize you have 12 gallons of fuel to make it 20 miles home (numbers are not exact). How do you extract the most distance from your plane?

My answer:
Stay level, go to minimum RPM's and drop manifold untill you can just stay airborne efficiently (max L/D), about 150-175 mph most fighters.

Other answers:
I know some folks try to climb to get an extended glide, and some try to turn engine on-off, etc...

Questions number 2:
You take an oil hit just as the bandit gets splashed by your wingie. Different planes lose oil faster/slower and there's some randomness to any oil hit, but what's the best way to extract the most distance from your plane?

My answer:
Full power, WEP on, accelerate to about 80-90% max level speed and climb with any excess power. Usually about 500ft/min - 1000ft/min climb at roughly 300-350mph. When engine dies, feather prop, continue to climb untill at best L/D speed usually 150-175mph , then nose over and maintain this speed.

Other answers:
Some climb like mad, some just go for max level speed, any other strategies?

Question number 3:
Same as above except it's a radiator hit.

My answer:
Same answer as above with the exception that I turn the motor off before it dies. Just before I hit the ground I fire it up again go full power with WEP and turn it off before it overheats again. Repeat untill motor dies and/or you hit the ground :)

Other answers:
Some have suggested minimal RPM's and Manifold to keep the temp from going up as fast once you run out of coolant.

Question number 4:
Whom exactly recieves and transmits on range VOX? Is it a distance thing? People from the same field? I know it's certainly beyond visual range as many contend.

Question number 5: How do the LTARS hit my 500mph manuevering CHOG at 2k+ in an ostwind? Seriously.

Question number 6: Why do puffy acks, disco's, and (software)crashes only occur when I fly perk planes? Obviously I have no concrete evidence of this but I SWEAR these thing only happen when I fly a perk ride.

OK 1 more:
How does my cat know exactly what buttons to press to minimize AH when I'm in the middle of a furball?

That's enough for now I guess.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 07:23:25 PM by g00b »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Questions about everyday scenarios
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:05:47 AM »
Originally posted by g00b
I have some interesting questions I have not yet seen answered.

Question number 1:
You have just finished off the last of a huge furball, you are low and slow, you glance down and realize you have 12 gallons of fuel to make it 20 miles home (numbers are not exact). How do you extract the most distance from your plane?

My answer:
Stay level, go to minimum RPM's and drop manifold untill you can just stay airborne efficiently (max L/D), about 150-175 mph most fighters.

Other answers:
I know some folks try to climb to get an extended glide, and some try to turn engine on-off, etc...

Id go with the reduced rpm thing. But id not reduce so much that speed is too slow (i mean you need to cover some distance, not just manage to stay airborne for another half hour)

Questions number 2:
You take an oil hit just as the bandit gets splashed by your wingie. Different planes lose oil faster/slower and there's some randomness to any oil hit, but what's the best way to extract the most distance from your plane?

My answer:
Full power, WEP on, accelerate to about 80-90% max level speed and climb with any excess power. Usually about 500ft/min - 1000ft/min climb at roughly 300-350mph. When engine dies, feather prop, continue to climb untill at best L/D speed usually 150-175mph , then nose over and maintain this speed.

Other answers:
Some climb like mad, some just go for max level speed, any other strategies?

Climb on WEP and shut motor off. Then glide (prop feathered) untill you have to climb again. Do not climb too high (at lower alt climb rate with WEP is higher then at alt)

Question number 3:
Same as above except it's a radiator hit.

My answer:
Same answer as above with the exception that I turn the motor off before it dies. Just before I hit the ground I fire it up again go full power with WEP and turn it off before it overheats again. Repeat untill motor dies and/or you hit the ground :)

Other answers:
Some have suggested minimal RPM's and Manifold to keep the temp from going up as fast once you run out of coolant.

Cant help you. With a (rare) radiator hit i usually stay and die, trying to take one or two with me.

Question number 4:
Whom exactly recieves and transmits on range VOX? Is it a distance thing? People from the same field? I know it's certainly beyond visual range as many contend.

Its a distance thing. Supposedly a little outside icon range, but i have found that little reliable. Certainly all people listed in the Voice window receive range transmissions.

Question number 5: How do the LTARS hit my 500mph manuevering CHOG at 2k+ in an ostwind? Seriously.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157461&highlight=zazen

Question number 6: Why do puffy acks, disco's, and (software)crashes only occur when I fly perk planes? Obviously I have no concrete evidence of this but I SWEAR these thing only happen when I fly a perk ride.

Because of Murphy's Law. And because you remember those discos more.

OK 1 more:
How does my cat know exactly what buttons to press to minimize AH when I'm in the middle of a furball?

Cats are smart. :)

That's enough for now I guess.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
1 Climb for a bit on normal power (I usually fly the yak, so no wep).  Then set RPM/Man according to E6B's max cruise settings.  

2. Oil hits -- I climb a bit and then level to build speed, climb some more and watch the oil pressure gauge -- if its loosing quickly, I will climb as much as possible, if its a slow leak I'll maintain best cruise back towards base while gaining alt hoping that when it dies I can use alt-x with feathered prop to glide home.

3. Same as #2 with the exception that I cut the engine when the temp guage is in the red and use alt-x / feathered prop to get best glide ratio.

4. Schatzi nailed it.

5. Schatzi nailed it again.

6. Can't help you there.

Offline Magellan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:46:31 PM »

I'd say it's because cats are intuitive when it comes to furballs.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »
The fuel thing u set max cruise and auto climb!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:45:59 PM »
You have an oil gauge in your cockpit. You will see it constantly drop. Climb with full WEP (gas is useless if the engine dies) as high as you can. If you're above 10k and only 20 miles or so from your field you can level. If you're farther climb into the friggin' stratosphere!

I will level out when I think I'm high enough (still WEP) and get as much speed as possible. When I shut engine off and feather, I coast level until I drop to about 150 (current plane's best climb speed -- this is the best speed for lift over the wings), then autoclimb (which will maintaint that speed in a shallow dive). If you set speed too low you blow E and cause drag by inducing stalls. If you go too fast you lose too much alt too quickly. Auto climb seems to work best.

The only rule I have, and I keep to this, is once the oil gauge drops to 50 I shut the engine off and feather it. I save that last bit for unexpected surprises (more than once I've been buzzed by enemy whilst rtb deadstick) or for making the landing if needed. It's always a little easier making a power-on landing.