Author Topic: Even the sides  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Even the sides
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »
Guppy, I dunno about that... The end results may be the same but different groups go about things entirely different.

Example: I've been flying as a knight for a while now. My observations here are not intended as a slight to any given pilot, but are a general observation of the other teams I've seen.

Bish are more skilled in general at fighting. They will actively engage in fights and what have you. When they run missions they are usually small coordinated pork-fests, meant to milkrun rear bases for better shock value. These missions are easily stopped if anybody gets up off their arse and just ups so much as 1 plane to take them on (don't have to kill them just disrupt their plans).

Rooks are less skilled in general at fighting and avoid it at all costs. Rooks (by far, more so than bish) will come in at 20k in hordes of the same plane, dive to the deck, drop all ord they had on a field, make 2-3 very high speed vulch passes (ignoring the 25+ fighters in the area that are actually capapble of fighting back) then run for home in high-speed late war planes. Most rooks don't fight well if you catch them. Most rooks will suicidally swarm a field close to their front lines with 100+ of their own and just horde the hell out of it. After 20 minutes of vulching and all porkable things being killed, somebody might bring a goon in (maybe) and take the field, but the fight's already spilled over to the next closest field. So they just progress one at a time linearly, whichever way the vulching leads them.

Going back to the comment about knights ignoring the rook front: Maybe it's because the real fight is on the bish front? I know for me I prefer the bish front because they actually fight back.

Again, total generalization, but whenever I'm on the rook front the enemy just runs in, dives down, runs out, never letting themselves get into any danger. The bish on the other hand really can be annoying with the horde-running (like ack-running). I can't speak for the knights, as I'm in that group. I know we're disorganized as a whole and rarely have the numbers or the desire to win the reset, but we often get perk multipliers of 2.5x because we're outnumbered so badly! That might just be worth it! (naaah... but it's some consolation regardless)

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Even the sides
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 05:56:04 PM »
Rooks are less skilled in general at fighting and avoid it at all costs.

they usually do not fight unless you turn around and look the other way or there are 20 of them against 2.it is sad really and krusty your right the bish are the ones who mainly fight(just about all of  them HO you) without running away.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Even the sides
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 02:32:55 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Rooks are less skilled in general at fighting and avoid it at all costs. Rooks (by far, more so than bish) will come in at 20k in hordes of the same plane, dive to the deck, drop all ord they had on a field, make 2-3 very high speed vulch passes (ignoring the 25+ fighters in the area that are actually capapble of fighting back) then run for home in high-speed late war planes. Most rooks don't fight well if you catch them. Most rooks will suicidally swarm a field close to their front lines with 100+ of their own and just horde the hell out of it. After 20 minutes of vulching and all porkable things being killed, somebody might bring a goon in (maybe) and take the field, but the fight's already spilled over to the next closest field. So they just progress one at a time linearly, whichever way the vulching leads them.

You smell so bad of chit, I caught wind 5 miles down the road.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Even the sides
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
Originally posted by 68Ripper
my squad was fighting rooks, ask the many Rooks I killed last night at spawn into 60 I believe it was. And I'm not crying just trying to come up with a solution to the uneven sides.

I'm confused, so you were spawncamping and you think the numbers difference is hurting the game? :huh

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Even the sides
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 06:51:34 AM »
Guess what?

All sides horde... I've flown for each country and its all the same, in one sector you see 10+ guys attacking an undefended base and a sector away you see the other side using 10+ guys attacking the opposing team's undefended base.

Last night was very funny, I had an La7 (with alt) run from a 1v1 with me, nosed over to the deck and loitered above 3 flaks in an effort to bait me.

I have little hope for the future of AH, no one wants to fight, its all about the landgrab.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline belethch

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.c-hawks.com
Even the sides
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »
well since ghi decided to mention the ch's on this thread i guess i need to do a rare reply,  we try to be fare in our attacks , whether its bish or rooks, last night was bishes turn for our squad, the night before it was the rooks, to most of us it really doesn't matter where we fly, bish and rooks both have good squads to go against.  every one that enjoy's the land grabing part of the game knows this is a numbers game.

XO of the C-Hawks

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Even the sides
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 07:11:52 AM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Guess what?

All sides horde... I've flown for each country and its all the same, in one sector you see 10+ guys attacking an undefended base and a sector away you see the other side using 10+ guys attacking the opposing team's undefended base.

Last night was very funny, I had an La7 (with alt) run from a 1v1 with me, nosed over to the deck and loitered above 3 flaks in an effort to bait me.

I have little hope for the future of AH, no one wants to fight, its all about the landgrab.
I agree Del, even the non-landgrabber/fighters don't even want to fight! lol  If it's not a 2,3,4,5,6 vs 1  they generally fly "smart"/run!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Even the sides
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
Originally posted by Delirium

Ill keep my hope as long as theres still people doing things like THIS.

>S< Delirium!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Even the sides
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
Bish are more skilled in general at fighting.

You're kidding, right?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Even the sides
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »
I don't think the "land Grab" is that big a problem. Its how its DONE thats the problem. To many of the big squads are using numbers to attack instead of using stratigy to attack. They have no imagination!

Sure, if you take 30+ player and everyone grabs hvy planes and 6 goons, its a piece of cake to over whelm a base and capture it. Some of these squads then take the 15-20 minutes to "rebuild" the base before continuing on. Use a little imagination !!  
  • Pick a base cluster.(Most maps have "groups" of bases tied to gather by GV spawns)
  • Group A-launch a few buff groups with a couple of fighters for cover to one base
  • Goup b-Lanch a few fast fighters with cannons to another base to de-ack and kill radar
  • Group c-Main group, launch a few GVs at the main target, and the rest in hvy fighters

With this set-up a large group "could" take 3 bases in about 45 minutes. Group A takes the long way to its base. By the time the group gets there the other groups are done there missions and are on the way to take the base asigned to Group A. Group B has done a quick in and out to deack and kill radar. The base is now set-up for a quick "grab and snatch" any time in the next 45 mins. If they were quick enough getting in and out the enemy may not even have seen the base flash. Group C does it the old fashon way and and has to work for it.

This plan can work as I've seen it done a number of times. Can it fail? You Bet !!! But there is the Challange!!! can you pull it off? Will you get all 3? Will the defenders defend and ruin your plans? This is the kind of Land Grab that is fun. People working together to both make a plan work, and to make a plan fail!

Use a little imagination and not only will it make it more fun for yourself, it could be more fun for everyone!! Too many people have fallin into the routine of "...ok let over whelm A231 next" Its boring for the horde.... not enough targets to go around... and the defenders won't bother any more... 5-6 to 1 odds isn't fun and where is the "challange"?

So all you "big squads" its up to you to make it fun for everyone ! Use some imagination ! Make a plan ! try something other than a "horde" attack. Be inventive !! And even the under dog country will have a "chance" to have fun!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Even the sides
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »
My squad flew Knights for about 6 months to help with the daytime number situation.  Good pilots there and we enjoyed the non stop action that being outnumbered brings.

During the evening though Knights have just as many players as everyone else and we got a little frustrated at being double teamed by rooks/bish all the time.  

Now rooks for at least a month kick our feet up and enjoy the easy life.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline belethch

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.c-hawks.com
Even the sides
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 12:20:46 PM »
ok i just had to make 1 more comment on this topic. Krusty i personally agree with what you said about fighting bish over rooks, i too hate dealing with the long climb outs and the running that they do, i do really enjoy fighting  the bish and i have nothing but respect for those i fight against on that side. now as the XO of a big squad like the c-hawks are, we do try to run mutiple ops at once, depending on the terrain and which map is up, last night alone we ran ops against 5 fields at once, be it bombing, fighter sweeps, porking or what ever. this thread is about the uneven numbers and it is something that should be addressed more, the ENY thing doesnt work,( and why, because the furballers whine about it)  it really needs to be reworked or kick in with more effect. but untill then we are all just wasting our time on this subject because. as a rule most players are humans and they want to win the game, and to win in this game, numbers is the only way to do it.

XO of the C-Hawks

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Even the sides
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bish are more skilled in general at fighting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're kidding, right?

My regards,

Widewing

I don't know if it's more skill or not. I think it's just a willingness to fight.

I have to agree with Krusty's assessment of the Rooks. While not all rook pilots are like this the majority of them are. High alt, fast pass, go for the vulch, bomb everything out of existence.

I find fighting Knights much more enjoyable

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Even the sides
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 01:29:40 PM »
LOL - All countries are the same, only things that change are the numbers of each.  Sure they have some small ideosyncracies of their own, but all in all they all horde, vulch, run, they all have alt monkies, little generals, good pilots, crappy pilots, crappy pilots that think their good etc.

Sim and Dan nailed it. :aok

Your right Fugitive, but for the land grabbers to do your 3 pronged approach would mean they would have to fight.  I am starting to believe that all they want are easy kills and captures.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:49:31 PM by mars01 »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Even the sides
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
they usually do not fight unless you turn around and look the other way or there are 20 of them against 2.it is sad really and krusty your right the bish are the ones who mainly fight(just about all of  them HO you) without running away.

Same can be said of the Bishops and Knights.  Timid flying isn't just limited to one country...you of all people should know this.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song