Author Topic: Anyone want help?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Anyone want help?
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:00:16 AM »
I'd like to make myself available to anyone (preferably a newer pilot) who is interested in learning the P38 or any aircraft to a lesser extent. I'd rather stick to teaching a newer pilot since I am not any good myself, but I can teach/show you as much as I know.

I am available on most evenings up until 10pm est or weekends at any time, send me a Private Message or post here if you're interested.

if you're asking why I'm suddenly interested in teaching, it is because of all the threads on the 'art of the dogfight' fading and AH turning into a landgrab. Maybe I can help foster a new breed of sticks interested in furballing...

In a different thread I made a list of guidlines, I've reposted them below.

1. Don't be afraid to die; sometimes dying is the best way to learn.

2. Record film of all your fights, including the ones you win. Just because you may have killed someone, it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

3. Turn tracers off as soon as you feel comfortable with shooting down targets (this is a non priority and can wait a couple months or so).

4. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances fly with stall limiter on. You will never, ever improve and you'll find that stuff that shouldn't out turn your plane will be able to, and quite easily.

5. You can fly with combat trim, but be aware enough and often trim the plane yourself if you have free time (ie going to or from the fight).

6. Keep a good attitude, no matter how good you are eventually you will get shot down. No one is willing to teach someone who constantly flames individuals on channel 200.

7. You can always improve your acm skill, but not your attitude. Unfortunately for some of the arena the reverse is not true and more often than not as one improves the other decreases.

8. Fly one aircraft you really like (and hopefully not the Niki, La7, or Spit16) stick with until you can really rock 'n roll in it. Only then move on to another aircraft. Sticking to one aircraft will make the learning process a little easier...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Anyone want help?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:00:40 AM »
You got PM! :)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »
I'll be taking you up on this offer if it's still available in a couple of weeks :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:07:10 AM »
I'm new to the game and have to ask.  Why do you not want to see new players flying the La-7, Niki, or Spit 16?   I'm starting the the Ki-84, myself, because a friend with a lot of experinece with AH recommended it as a good plane  to start with.  I've flown the La-7 in IL-2/FB/PF and din't find it especially difficult to fly.  I have to add that I'm pretty new at this and I find just about everything difficult to fly well.  I may take you up on you offer but need to spend some more time in the off line training.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:59 AM »
That thing with the La, Spit16 and other so called "uber rides" or "easy mode planes" is this: Those planes generally have a good performance in many categories (speed, climb, armament...). They are often used by the "less skilled" to compensate for their lack of effort to learn fighting tactics and maneuvers. Theres a high number of LA7, Spit16 and N1Ks in the MA that will stick to "HO and run" tactics, vulching, hording etc...

It kind of gets old, you know? :)

Im not talking about players like you. I bet, even if you decided to fly Spit16 or LA, youd still try to *learn*, improve and not go for the "easy kill, high score" mentality those planes kind of stand for. Unfortunatly, as youll get to know this community closer, youll notice not many new players are like that.

To be honest i find it a bit sad that those planes have such a bad reputation. A well flown La7 can be a formidable opponent and certainly a force to be reconed with.

>>S<< Condor, please keep that great attitude of yours. Im 100% sure youll be a very fine addition to this community and this game once you decide to come online.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Now I understand.

I have flown the La-7 in the IL-2/Pf/.../... sim and liked it.  I was not much of a threat to anyone.  It was certainly one of the best fighters in WWII.  I also had fun with the IL-16 which no on would rank very high among WWII fighters.   I'm more interested in learning the whole spectrum of air combat from turn fighting to BNZ.  Vulching and head on runs don't interest me much.  From what I've read, I suspect vulching causes a lot of new players to get discouraged fast.

I have decided to follow the advice to learn one plane.  So far the Ki-84 seems like a good all round choice.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
i need some help with managing my finances, and possibly setting up a high interest savings account, when would be a good time to make an appointment?

thanks in advance.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
The Ki is one of themost underestimated and most dangerous planes of the set. If flown well (throttle, flaps, trim) they turn on a dime while still hanging vertical with a P38...

If you come online, look for Wilbuz, Sindon or Zaphod - they amongst the most dangerous in the Ki....

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
i need some help with managing my finances, and possibly setting up a high interest savings account, when would be a good time to make an appointment?

thanks in advance.

just send me all of your money or better yet have it directly deposited to my checking account and I'll do the rest :t
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Anyone want help?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 06:12:25 PM »
I need help with my homework.:cool:

PLus, KI is a great plane to leanr. I also find the Yak9u a great training aircraft if you have patience. It pretty produces good habits by itself.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »
Delirium
You are way too modest. You are bad ***.
I have only flown a 38 a couple of times & I really sucked at it. I wouldn't mind a lesson or two if you could fit me in.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »
SAS_KID what kind of homework is it?

I might be able to help some if its German (as a foreign language) or computer science stuff.

Delirium, i might take you up on this :)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Anyone want help?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 10:08:57 AM »
Hey Del, for my lessons, could I drive down to your place and watch you, real time over your shoulder to see how "terrible" you are at this stuff?  I'll bring beer !

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Anyone want help?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 05:01:06 PM »
Im in.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Anyone want help?
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 11:29:23 PM »
Ok, I'm reserving some time tomorrow for Jenks, otherwise I'm open.

Look me up online...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!