Author Topic: button layout  (Read 333 times)

Offline devildog355

• Zinc Member
button layout
« on: September 03, 2006, 09:27:47 PM »
ok i just started and i have no idea of  how to go up or down and i know thats not the right words but i dont play very many simulation games..after my plane lifts off i have no idea of how to get up into the air with the other planes and just keep going straight can anyone help me out?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
button layout
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
are you using a joystick or a mouse?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline devildog355

• Zinc Member
button layout
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
sadly joystick broke so im usin mouse..

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
button layout
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:56:58 AM »
Ok, first of all you need to set up your mouse. Mouse Setup (PDF) or the help file describe how to do it.

Then, a plane has 3 major control surfaces:

Ailerons (ROLL the plane around its longitudinal axis)
Elevators (PITCH the nose up and down)
Rudder (YAW the nose left and right)

To fly, you generally only need the first two. For a turn, you roll to one side (bank) then pull back on elevator to start the turn. To stop turning, do the reverse.

When wheels are on the ground still, youll need the RUDDERS to steer (as you cant roll!). Use the A and D keys (S centers rudder) to taxi your plane.

Flaps are another wing surface that will add lift to your plane (ie help keep it in the air) at low speeds - You only need them for landing or very close and slow dogfights. You can also use them at takeoff, if you dont have much runway to gain speed or a very heavy plane (lots of fuel, bombs, rockets).

More help on getting started is in the Help File and on Hammer's Net Aces. There you can also find a one page Quick Reference for the default keymap. Print that out and keep it close - it will spare you a lot of questions :).

Welcome to AH devildog!
21 is only half the truth.