Author Topic: Whining about play degradation?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Whining about play degradation?
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:53:35 AM »
I have, as of late, heard or rather read on country channel an increasing amount of moaning about "how the game has gone downhill" or "game play has gone to crap in the last year."  or "this game sucks with all the {insert } (noobs, hoards, kids, ho-ers, no-talent-skilless dweebs, spittards, L-Gay drivers, Run-90s, tool-shedders, vulchers, cherry pickers, etc...)"  (If I left one of your choices out, I do apologize.)

These complaints seem to come from players who played, left, and are now back again.  They complain about the influx of "noobs" and all the "skilless dweebs" in the game.  

To those complaints, I have a few answers....

1.  If the game isn't fun for you anymore, please feel free NOT to play.  It is a game and is meant to be fun.  If it ISN'T fun, then you are not benefiting from the point of the game - RECREATION.    (Please don't read into this a stab at anyone, nor should you read into it that I am demanding anyone to leave.  I am merely pointing out that games are meant to be fun, if this game is not fun for you, then find one that is. )

2.  If you feel that the game skill has dropped because new people have joined, then take those new people under your wing and teach them the skills you have mastered.  They would most likely appreciate the help and your knowledge of the game is very valuable to the community.  Your ability to share what you have learned might even bring the "skill level" back to what you remember it to be.

3.  Lastly, I ask you to remember that you were "new" once.  It may have been 2, 10, or 15 years ago; but nonetheless, you had to learn the game at some point.  But, look at you now.  You have achieved a mastery of the ACMs and are a valued member of your team/squad/country.  The "noobs" have to learn and they rely on your knowledge to get them where they need to be.  

To conclude...  If you are not willing to take part in raising the community and the game is not fun, then why are you back?  (Again, not a stab at anyone, just a simple question that some may want to ask themselves.)

<> To all you AH players, veterans, rookies, and noobs alike.   :aok
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:55:53 AM by NCLawman »
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:19:33 AM »
I got a better idea...

How bout we put a FT in every map?

How bout we move most of the fields closer in the really bad maps so that they more resemble Festers ma?

The whorde can then continue to kill outhouses and maybe get the occasional player taking off or landing or to slow to make it back with 20 guys on him and....

The rest of us can just have the opportunity to have fun without em.   They can either learn to play or continue whith whordeing... their choice... just like it was ours when we started.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Whining about play degradation?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:03:01 AM »
Originally posted by NCLawman
1.  If the game isn't fun for you anymore, please feel free NOT to play.  It is a game and is meant to be fun.  If it ISN'T fun, then you are not benefiting from the point of the game - RECREATION.    (Please don't read into this a stab at anyone, nor should you read into it that I am demanding anyone to leave.  I am merely pointing out that games are meant to be fun, if this game is not fun for you, then find one that is. )

It's been proven to no end some are not having fun because the majority have not joined thier cause, and they have resorted to daily (9.7 some-odd posts per day) rants, of which they may as well save the clickety-clack, and just copy-and-paste.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:34:58 AM »
2. If you feel that the game skill has dropped because new people have joined, then take those new people under your wing and teach them the skills you have mastered.

Thats a lot of people to take under your wing as you put it.The game was fun at one time but has now turned into a mess.All everyone is worried about is getting kills and getting thier name up in lights.The majority do not even care about ACM they just get in a La-7 or a Spit-16 and HO every one they see because they really don't know any better.

I believe that all of the poor gameplay falls on the Aces High Training staff.When a new Cadet see's the commercial and gets the game they find thier way into the main Arena and all they hear is "go to the TA there is someone in there that will help you" and they go into the TA to find no one available and must learn from regular players if someone will show them.This is not a personal attack on the Aces High Training staff although they will take it as that, it is a call for others to help these new cadets.The number of new cadets Vs. AH Trainers is very high and they don't have the time to stay in the TA all day and night to help them.

The one funny thing i have noticed in the MA now though is good ol Storch.Finally they get people to show up in the AvA to play and storch and his girlfriends run them all back out with thier "excellant & fair gameplay" on top of thier huge hospitality.Now you see him trying to taunt others in the MA and it is so frickin funny.About 3 weeks or so ago we were taking a field and storch upped from it HO'ing everyone(even 1 on 1) and complaining that none of us would fight him even though we were trying to capture the field, it made me think he doesn't even know what field capture is.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Whining about play degradation?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:38:20 AM »
Originally posted by thndregg
It's been proven to no end some are not having fun because the majority have not joined thier cause, and they have resorted to daily (9.7 some-odd posts per day) rants, of which they may as well save the clickety-clack, and just copy-and-paste.

lol, which are replied to in the same manner, 9.7 some-odd posts per day. same replies as well.  lets at least be fair.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:03:32 AM »
LOLH Pluck.

Nice twisting- NOT and completely wrong as usual.  You think it is because the majority have not joined our cause, WRONG.  Our cause is only to be able to log in at any time and jump in a Fighter Town or have maps that allow great fights and furballs.  Much like you are allowed to log in at any time and take undefended bases till you fall asleep at the stick.  :Aok

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:09:19 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
LOLH Pluck.

Nice twisting- NOT and completely wrong as usual.  You think it is because the majority have not joined our cause, WRONG.  Our cause is only to be able to log in at any time and jump in a Fighter Town or have maps that allow great fights and furballs.  Much like you are allowed to log in at any time and take undefended bases till you fall asleep at the stick.  :Aok

Nice Hijack
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
Compared to the basic premise of your post, which is "if you're not having fun, do these things that I think you should, and the game will be fun again.", Mars' reply of "how about we have fun our way", isn't really much of a hijack.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
All the people whining about "the noobs have ruined the game, etc., reminds me of my job as a high school teacher listening to the kids comment about the "stupid freshmen!" - forgetting that just one year ago they were freshmen as well.  How quickly we forget. . . .

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
Summer is ending, no worries.  All the kiddies are going back to school.  Happens every year.

By the way, you can't force "proper" game play on people.  Either they are committed to learning how to be good at the game, or they are not.  The ones that are not, won't be here long.  Even if they are committed, they may not settle on "your" version of "proper" game play.  

There are volumes of help files for the game from HTC, and from players  that took the time to make them.  There are players (Trainers included, they are players after all) in the TA probably 18 hours a day that are willing to help anyone that asks.  Contact info for a trainer is put in your face as soon as you log into the TA.  

Speaking only for myself here, but if it is too much effort for someone to avail themselves of the ways to get help that's provided, then it would probably be a waste of my time to have helped anyways.  Almost everything one needs to know can be found at Welcome to Aces High help, netaces.org, DokGonzo's Fighter comparisons, and Soda's Aircraft evaluations.  Players, official Trainer or not, are not obligated to be a live help line for those who are too lazy to look at the mass of information already avalible to them.  

Yes, people need oriented.  They sometimes need help understanding things beyond looking at "help files".  Sometimes they need to know something specific without having to read a whole book to find it.  But guess what?  This is a complex sim.  It takes a little bit of effort to learn.  If a person isn't willing to put forth a little effort, then its probably a waste of time for the person who tries to help them.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 11:14:30 AM »
In my opinion gameplay has gone more or less steadily downhill since the TV ads began.  It's an attitude that mainly comes from having played before things changed, better/worse is purely subjective.

It's similar to the "it was better in beta" phenomenon.

Start with a small community, where new players come fairly slowly and are surrounded by experienced players who have their own accepted way of doing things.  Then something changes, there's a massive influx of new players, and suddenly instead of learning from the experienced players, the new players start learning from the noobs.  Previously accepted conventions and attitudes dissapear from the new batch of players.

Usually the result is that the new players play the game as it's mechanics dictate, where the old players tend to play more the way the game was intended to be played.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
not all of the noobs are that way though.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
NCLawman - great post; sound advice :aok

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »
I have fun......

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »
I have fun too. Land kills when I get it right. Die when I screw up. The high decible voices are annoying but there is a cure for that(squelch). Sure there are things and people that make me angry and thats when I have to remind myself to use my experences in the game to overcome the anger and kill the SOB next time. I guess I just dont understand the complaining of downgraded game play. As the old saying goes: All is fair in love and war.:D
325th Checkertails