Author Topic: Disabled woman confronted by mugger invokes rule .357  (Read 262 times)

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
Disabled woman confronted by mugger invokes rule .357
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:03:27 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/09/wheelchair.shooter.ap/...

Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots mugger
POSTED: 8:32 a.m. EDT, September 9, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.

But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the wheelchair-bound 56-year-old pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.

Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain.

"There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.

Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.

Good for her! Giving the smackdown while sitting down!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »
Whoops!  :rofl

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Nurse strangles intruder in Portland home

PORTLAND (AP) — A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.  

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, then ran to a neighbor’s house Wednesday night to report the intruder, identified as Edward Dalton Haffey, 59, whose body was found by police.

An autopsy by the Multnomah County medical examiner determined the cause of death to be strangulation, said Officer Catherine Kent, a spokeswoman for the Portland Police Bureau.

Haffey, a convicted felon with a long police record, was dead when police arrived. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence Portland Medical Center.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools.

Neighbors said Kuhnhausen’s size — 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds — may have given her an advantage.

Paula Derr, a Life Flight nurse, said Kuhnhausen has been an advocate for protection of nurses, who sometimes face violence in the workplace.  

I guess she won't be an advocate for weight loss...
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »
5-7 260lb? sweet jesus...
Army of Muppets

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Re: Disabled woman confronted by mugger invokes rule .357
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:49:10 PM »
Originally posted by Flatbar
[B

"There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

[/B]

priceless.

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:42:21 PM »
Mechanized granny - 1
Useless criminal - 0

Outstanding shot too, I love it when a story has a happy ending.
-----------------

Here's my favorite strap happy granny story of 2005:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/archives/2005_05_01_archive.html

Widow uses gun, instincts to fend off burglar (sic)

Judith Kuntz, 64, hunkered down in her darkened bedroom late Sunday evening, arming herself with a revolver. A burglar had just broken into her Indialantic home and, fearing for her life, she said she let her instincts take over.

When the burglar, who had a flashlight, entered the room, Kuntz fired one round from her .38-caliber handgun.

Hit squarely in the chest, the unidentified intruder ran outside, where he collapsed and died.

Ed: BTW, The Civilian Gun Self Defense Blog posts articles like these daily... reading about how some Regular Joe summarily dispatched some criminal to a dirt nap is great reading in the morning.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:49:34 PM by x0847Marine »

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »
One more thats just too warm'n fuzzy not to post...

"Albuquerque, New Mexico September 4, 2006

An Albuquerque man allegedly being beaten by four teen-agers picked up a pistol they dropped and killed one of his attackers......"

http://www.krqe.com/expanded.asp?ID=16958