Author Topic: Arena format change  (Read 16975 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Arena format change
« on: September 13, 2006, 09:28:15 AM »
Thanks to your patronage Aces High has grown to the point where a single Main Arena is no longer a sufficient solution.   It is time for us to move beyond a single main arena.  Today during the weekly terrain change, we will be revamping our arena structure with an entirely new model.  We’ve looked forward to this point because instead of just simply offering more duplicate arenas, we’ve planned to use this opportunity to diversify our offerings by making different arenas based on different time periods.  So instead of having a single arena with all planes available (which naturally emphasizes late war planes), we’ll have 3 different types of Main Arenas- early-war planes, mid-war planes, and late-war planes.  This will give us far more diversity.  

We hope that through further growth we can add even more diverse offerings such as more time periods and perhaps even time periods outside of WWII such as WWI or the Korean War.  This format will also provide more impetus for us to try and comprehensively develop the plane and vehicle set with stuff that would otherwise get swallowed up by the late-war monsters and see little use outside of special events.

Multiple Mains may seem like an oxymoron, but in fact it isn’t.  It’s not just a matter of semantics because they are all connected through the same scoring, squad, and perk point databases.  If your squad decides to spend the night in the Early MA, they don’t need to reform the squad there because it already exists.  There are no separate scores or perk points for these different arenas- it’s all shared.  In that regard, these Main Arenas are all one in the same.  It neither harms nor benefits your score or perk points to change which Main Arena you fly in from day to day.  Perk points earned in one MA count towards the same total as in any of the other Mains.  The only difference is what planes and vehicles qualify as a perk ride varies from arena to arena.

Being in this business a long time, we understand that people are creatures of habit and old habits die-hard.  Going through any major change is uncomfortable until people become acclimated to the change.  This change is especially difficult because we cannot simply add these new arenas; we need to redistribute how the arenas are populated.  To accomplish that, we’re going to be reducing arena caps so as to not have one arena dominate just by virtue of everybody following the herd.  We’ll also be using small terrains exclusively for now, but that is not a permanent change.  Once we’re comfortable that people have acclimated to the new format, we’ll begin to work those elements back in.  

With players spreading out, we are aware of the need for better tools to find and communicate with your buddies.  We will be working on some new tools to handle this but for now that can be accomplished with the squadron message of the day. (MOTD).  The squad MOTD will reach across all the Main Arena’s so the squad leader can be sure that everybody knows where to go on a given night.

Once again, thanks for your support.  We hope you will find these changes refreshing.  We’ve waited a long time to get here and we’re very excited about the many development directions this opens.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
New arena format
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:31:59 AM »
:aok

I do have one question though... are the ENY values going to scale in each arena? It's one thing to make perks by flying a 40 ENY early war against N1K's, Ponies, & La7s. That makes great perks. However, if the arena is all ENY 5 vs ENY 5 or ENY 40 vs ENY 40, the ability to make perks is going to get curbed quite a bit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:36:42 AM by indy007 »

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
New arena format
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:32:25 AM »
This will be interesting...

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
New arena format
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »
This is gonna be pretty cool!  Now, can we get a list of what planes/gvs will be in each area?
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New arena format
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »
Each arena will have its own set of ENY values.  Because of there's going to be a big change in the matchups and how planes are utilized from arena to arena, we've got some new ENY values roughed in and will adjust accordingly as soon as usage patterns emerge for each arena.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
New arena format
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:50:13 AM »
SWEET !!!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
New arena format
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
To clarify:

1) Will early war planes even be available in the mid and late war arenas, for perk farming purposes?

2) Will planes from later time frames be available in earlier arenas as perk planes, or will perk planes only exist in the appropriate (and mostly late war) arena?

3) Is ther concern that this change limiting planesets may hurt the AvA?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New arena format
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:53:16 AM »
Hrm.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means no more C202 vs P51s in FT, right?

No more flying early war planes against late war planes, you'll only see early war vs early war.

Mind you from the other side it looks good (less early war planes ganged by late war) but there was a minority that liked mixing it up in "sub-par".

Having said that, this will be interesting for sure.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
New arena format
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:50 AM »
the question I have for now is about the maps used.

you mention only small maps will be used, am I correct in guessing it will be:

BALTIC
MINDANAO
SFMA
NDISLES

are there any other small maps to use or in production?

would it be beneficial to work on a small (256x256) map for the MA

personally I stalled a bit on the MA map I was working on, it was a 512x512 map. it sounds as it would not be beneficial to continue work.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
New arena format
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »
I was wondering when you guys would take it to the next level.

I am especially pleased to read this: "We hope that through further growth we can add even more diverse offerings such as more time periods and perhaps even time periods outside of WWII such as WWI or the Korean War. "

Looks like HTC is coming alive again.

WTG guys
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
New arena format
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:05:48 AM »
BTW:
When is going to start? :confused:
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
New arena format
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »
Wow this should make life in AH2 vewwy interesting!

Looking forward to what hopefully amounts to a more enjoyable flying experience!!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
New arena format
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:14:42 AM »
Any way to sneak a Typhoon into the early war arena? :D

Sounds like fun HTC. I'm game.

Offline RedDg

• Silver Member
New arena format
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »
2 weeks

Zing!   :lol

Sketch read it again, he said today during terrain change.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
New arena format
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:15:09 AM »
Will early war be available in the late war arena?