Author Topic: Arena format change  (Read 16985 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
New arena format
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »
Originally posted by Engine
Will early war be available in the late war arena?

No, they are not!

No more 109F vs Spit 16... :cry
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
New arena format
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 10:19:33 AM »
I don't like the idea ,  this is going to kill the flavour of massive multiplayer gaming:mad:

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
New arena format
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »
aww nuts, no killing 205's with Dora.... well been building up to this, good move I think, hope it works out for all of us...
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
New arena format
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 10:22:43 AM »
I like the apporach but Pyro thisa is going to break up squads and put people in planes that dont want to fly. I fly the Hurricane IIC and now I cant fly aginst Late war or Mid war aircraft. SO now since my squad flys mid war to Late War aircraft I cant really fly my aircraft with them. ONe of the big things seen in all post is no body wants someone to say how we should fly and what we should fly. Now we are! In the long run this may help but I think this might get people to leave the game. The greatest thing about this game is learning an aircraft and matching it up against people who fly different aircraft from mid early or late war years.

I had to edits this after checking out the arena. I have to admit after looking at I see the concept. Do I like it not really. But it will even out the numbers. This is something that we asked for one way or another. People complaining about La-7 well if you dont want to deal with them go to a different arena. Less chance for overwhelming numbers and having to sit back and try to deal with it. As long as HiTech adds some newer aircraft to the different arenas I am all for it then. But we shall see how things work out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:06:36 AM by Warchief »

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
New arena format
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »
*waits in anticipation for the player base to rename the late war Arena "the Dweeb Arena" and castigate all who inhabit afore mentioned arena....*
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Good Idea, and it had to happen sometime...
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 10:29:21 AM »
Pyro - good idea, and with the growth in numbers in the MA it was bound to happen.  A single server can only handle so much traffic.

The ENY and perk points lists in each arena will be interesting to figure out.  The "best perk farmer" list is about to change a bit I think.  

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New arena format
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
The changes have been made and are in effect.

Planes can be available in more than one arena.  Some planes are available in all 3 arenas.   So far the examples that have been given in this thread are all things that you can find under the new format.

Can 202's fight P-51s?  Yes.

Can 205's fight 190Ds?  Yes.

Can Hurricane II's fight late war planes?  Yes.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
New arena format
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
ur kidding right?

why wouls ah2 try to be like someone else?   (warbirds)   i have been flying here since 1999 and the reason i stay here is because of ah2 is the best out there.  why change that?   dont be like all the other sims.   remember who brung yas.................
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
New arena format
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 10:36:48 AM »
DadRabit: I assure you other sims did not even enter into our thought process in this change, unless you call Civilzation 4 a sim.

HiTech

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
New arena format
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
the question I have for now is about the maps used.

you mention only small maps will be used, am I correct in guessing it will be:

BALTIC
MINDANAO
SFMA
NDISLES

are there any other small maps to use or in production?

would it be beneficial to work on a small (256x256) map for the MA

personally I stalled a bit on the MA map I was working on, it was a 512x512 map. it sounds as it would not be beneficial to continue work.

For now, we'll be using those terrains plus FRAC3 exclusively.  Once we're established, we do plan to put big terrains back into the picture.  However, small terrains will be back in vogue and there will be a lot of demand for new small terrains.  That will be nice just because there's less work involved, they're easier to balance, and more detail can be put into them if desired.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
New arena format
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 10:38:49 AM »
The way I'm reading this;

The "Main Arena" is unchanged, full plane set. There are in addition to this, 2 new arena's, 1 where Early - Mid War planes can be flown and 1 where only Early War planes can be flown.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Gman8

• Zinc Member
New arena format
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 10:39:50 AM »
Bad idea...will lose more players than it will gain.  AH2 was a great game...I guess all good things come to an end.  Why fix something that isn't broke?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Arena format change
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »
Originally posted by Pyro
perhaps even time periods outside of WWII such as the Korean War.

Freakin SWEET!!!!!!! :)
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
New arena format
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
I'd like to take this opportunity to register the first "perk it!" whine of the new format.

In the early war arena, with the 190A5 and P-38G perked, the spitV is set up as an absolutely dominant and free plane.  Shouldn't it be perked with the 190 and p38?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
New arena format
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
The way I'm reading this;

The "Main Arena" is unchanged, full plane set. There are in addition to this, 2 new arena's, 1 where Early - Mid War planes can be flown and 1 where only Early War planes can be flown.

No, right now we have not.

I just jumped through arenas

We have Early War, Mid War and Late War 1 & 2

We currently seem to have no Arena with all the planes enabled.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman